Page 93 of 96 FirstFirst ... 43839192939495 ... LastLast

Thread: The South Asian Institute of Regional Surname, Gotra, Clan, and Tribal Analysis.

Registered Users
    Sex

Pakistan United Kingdom India
    Quote Originally Posted by vishankar View Post
    hi..does anybody know to which tribe people with surname malik( pakistani) belong.....is it awan?arain? jatt?....i was just surfing the net and seeing a video of former pakistani cricketer ,saleem malik..I was curious to know which community he belongs to...
    This site claims he's Awan: https://awan.fandom.com/wiki/Famous_Awans

@Kapisa has explained about the Malik title.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AlluGobi For This Useful Post:

Rahuls77 (02-02-2022),  vishankar (01-18-2022)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Y-DNA (P)
    J-M241
    mtDNA (P)
    M5a2a

Attachment 48199

hAttachment 48199 here is an image i got from quora...study not quoted..but kodavas( coorgs) are supposed to be an IVC rich..low AASI population, by the looks of it.
    Continuing from here,

Demographics And Distribution Of Coorg’s Communities
    Besides the Kodavas, Coorg is home to several other communities. The 18 other communities are ethnic groups that are smaller in number but speak the same language and follow similar traditions as the Kodavas. Here is a list of the other communities in Coorg.

Amma Kodavas:
    The Amma Kodavas are believed to be the original priests at the temples in Coorg. Most of the Amma Kodava families live in the southern part of Coorg now. Like the Kodavas, the Amma Kodava families are also recognised by their family names or okka. The community also follows a few Brahminical customs such as Gothra names or wear the sacred thread. However, there are many among the community who don’t wear the thread or have gothras assigned to them. They are endogamous and vegetarians. However, all other social activities like marriage, attire and celebration of festivals are similar to the Kodavas.

Kodagu Brahmins:
    Said to have originally migrated from South Canara districts, the Kodagu Brahmins have been residing in Coorg since the Haleri dynasty. They celebrate the Kodava festivals such as Puthari and Kaveri Sankramana, but not Kailpodh. Kodagu Brahmins are pure vegetarians and wear the sacred thread. They also speak both Kannada and Kodava takk. The Kodagu brahmins follow Kodava customs to an extent. They have a clan system and also have gothras assigned just like the Amma Kodavas.

Peggade Or Kodagu Heggade:
    Originally believed to have come from North Malabar, the Peggade or Kodagu Heggade is another of the indigenous communities in Coorg. They have around 100 family names and follow the Kodava habits and customs. They also dress like other Kodavas and speak Kodava Takk.

Kodava Maaples:
    The Kodava Maaple sect is a Muslim community residing in Kodagu district of Karnataka. During the rule of Tipu Sultan in Coorg, many Kodavas were converted into Islam and they are called the ‘Kodava Maaple’ or ‘Jamma Maaples’. The Kodava Maaples are followers of Sunni Islam. They refrain from alcohol and eat only Halal. They have maintained their original Kodava clan names and dress habits and speak the endangered Kodavu language.

Airi (Iri):
    Iri or Airi is another sub community in Coorg. This particular ethnic community were carpenters or village smiths in Kodagu. The people of the Airi community also have family names. They speak Kodava Takk and follow Kodava culture.

Other Sub Communities

Other than the communities mentioned here, Kodagu is also home to the Koyavas, the Bannas, the Kodagu Madivala, the Kodagu Hajama, Kembatti poleya, Medas, Malekudiyas, the Kollas and Kavadis among others. The Are Bhashe Gowda or Kodagu Gowda is another community that lives in Coorg. The people of this community speak a distinct language called Are Bhashe.
    the Kodagu Madivala - Madivala - Washerman
    Kodagu Hajama - Barber

Poleya -

"Poleya (ಪೊಲೆಯ):—

1) [noun] a male member belonging to the Holeya caste."

Holeya = Agricultural worker

So, It can be expected based on the sub-community of Kadava, steppe to High AASI scores to be found.

https://travel.earth/guide-to-the-ko...ople-of-coorg/
    https://www.wisdomlib.org/definition/poleya
    Last edited by discreetmaverick; 01-30-2022 at 09:22 PM.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to discreetmaverick For This Useful Post:

vishankar (01-31-2022)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    south asian
    Nationality
    indian
    Y-DNA (P)
    R-M198
    mtDNA (M)
    U1

India
    Quote Originally Posted by discreetmaverick View Post
    Continuing from here,

the Kodagu Madivala - Madivala - Washerman
    Kodagu Hajama - Barber

Poleya -

"Poleya (ಪೊಲೆಯ):—

1) [noun] a male member belonging to the Holeya caste."

Holeya = Agricultural worker

So, It can be expected based on the sub-community of Kadava, steppe to High AASI scores to be found.

https://travel.earth/guide-to-the-ko...ople-of-coorg/
    https://www.wisdomlib.org/definition/poleya
    I mean the proper kodava...the warrior kodava...it looks like that kodava is high IVC

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Punjabi
    Nationality
    Canadian
    Y-DNA (P)
    R-Y6

hi..does anybody know to which tribe people with surname malik( pakistani) belong.....is it awan?arain? jatt?....i was just surfing the net and seeing a video of former pakistani cricketer ,saleem malik..I was curious to know which community he belongs to...
    Can be any really. I think in southern Punjab/Saraiki areas Maliks are usually jatt but in the north could be Awan. Really depends on where you are

7. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Raza94 For This Useful Post:

Ahmed Ali (02-02-2022),  Amber29 (02-02-2022),  Kapisa (02-02-2022),  khanabadoshi (02-05-2022),  MonkeyDLuffy (02-02-2022),  parasar (02-02-2022)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Nationality
    Asian American
    Y-DNA (P)
    R-Y7 > R-Y2568
    mtDNA (M)
    R30b
    mtDNA (P)
    U9b1

United States of America Pakistan Jammu and Kashmir
    Interesting BBC read on the early modern history of Karachi city and Sindh. It focuses on the Talpur period of Sindh and the Hindhu merchant communities especially the Bhojwani family, Slave Trade from Africa via Muscat and British interests in the region. Its in Urdu but can be translated via Google fairly well.
    https://www.bbc.com/urdu/pakistan-60250549
    Last edited by Kapisa; 02-06-2022 at 08:12 PM.

Sample Fit CG IVCp IRN Shahr I Sokhta BA2 I8728 Bustan BA Average Aktogai MLBA Average Upper Yellow River LN Average
    Kapisa scaled (Kapisa) 1.99 43 37 17 3
    Kapisa dad scaled (Kapisa) 2.19 40.5 39 17.5 3

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kapisa For This Useful Post:

heksindhi (02-07-2022),  parasar (02-06-2022)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Y-DNA (P)
    G-L91>FTA40859
    mtDNA (M)
    T2f2d

Hello, I read a comment somewhere that "some Maharashtra Brahmins" (apologies if that's not the correct designation) belonged to haplogroup G2a. Has anyone heard anything about this? Would G2a have been brought to India by Iranian farmers? Thanks

Registered Users
    Sex
    Y-DNA (P)
    J-M241
    mtDNA (P)
    M5a2a

Quote Originally Posted by peloponnesian View Post
    Hello, I read a comment somewhere that "some Maharashtra Brahmins" (apologies if that's not the correct designation) belonged to haplogroup G2a. Has anyone heard anything about this? Would G2a have been brought to India by Iranian farmers? Thanks
    Do you know which subclade,

Here is Brahmin from Tamil Nadu with G2a

https://anthrogenica.com/showthread....-to-south-asia

https://www.yfull.com/tree/G-Z30503/
    Last edited by discreetmaverick; 02-07-2022 at 06:04 PM.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to discreetmaverick For This Useful Post:

peloponnesian (02-08-2022)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Nationality
    Asian American
    Y-DNA (P)
    R-Y7 > R-Y2568
    mtDNA (M)
    R30b
    mtDNA (P)
    U9b1

G2a is present, though less frequently in non-brahmin populations as well as Brahmins and possibly arrived during the Neolithic or bronze age.

Sample Fit CG IVCp IRN Shahr I Sokhta BA2 I8728 Bustan BA Average Aktogai MLBA Average Upper Yellow River LN Average

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kapisa For This Useful Post:

parasar (02-07-2022),  peloponnesian (02-08-2022)

Gold Class Member
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    India Andhra Kamma Telugu
    Nationality
    US
    aDNA Match (1st)
    I3343 Roopkund_A @ 1.09
    aDNA Match (2nd)
    I8245 Aligrama_H/[email protected]
    aDNA Match (3rd)
    I11456 [email protected]
    Y-DNA (P)
    HM82 Z5890+CTS8144+
    mtDNA (M)
    U2a1a2
    Y-DNA (M)
    HM69 (<-J2b2 <-L1a)

United States of America India Hyderabad State Dutch East India Company Chola Empire
    2005 Gaikwad study doesnt find anything. It might be very small number. The Gujarati Brahmins have more Neolithic groups like J, G and C due to their vantage position near the port and IVC
    https://link.springer.com/content/pd...05-6-8-p10.pdf
    Y: H1a1a4b3b1a8 Yfull id-> YF83218
    Medals->Hidden Content
    mtDNA:U2a1a2
    G25 Anc Dist 1.1 IRN_Shahr_I_Sokhta_BA2 86.2 ITA_Sardinia_C_o 5.2 ITA_Daunian 1.4 VK2020_SWE_Gotland_VA 3.6 PAK_Saidu_S_H 3.6
    Hidden Content

Lactose Persistence rs3213871 rs4988243 rs4988183 rs3769005 rs2236783
    found -> DA125, Kangju

16. The Following User Says Thank You to tipirneni For This Useful Post:

peloponnesian (02-08-2022)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Nationality
    Asian American
    Y-DNA (P)
    R-Y7 > R-Y2568
    mtDNA (M)
    R30b
    mtDNA (P)
    U9b1

Quote Originally Posted by Kapisa View Post
    Interesting BBC read on the early modern history of Karachi city and Sindh. It focuses on the Talpur period of Sindh and the Hindhu merchant communities especially the Bhojwani family, Slave Trade from Africa via Muscat and British interests in the region. Its in Urdu but can be translated via Google fairly well.
    https://www.bbc.com/urdu/pakistan-60250549
    Another interesting read derived from the historic and archeological sources that chronicles the last two dynasties of Sindh (central and lower Indus valley) from 7th and early 8th century prior to 711 Arab conquest.
    It's worth mentioning that Buddhism in 7th century is not surprising at all for Sindh, numerous artifacts including the Mohenjo daro stupa are testament to that era. The neighboring Kindgom of Paradan during Kushan era was also Buddhist.
    Its surprising however the extent of borders of Brahmin Chach dynasty that have been described extending to hills of Kashmir. Because Kalhan extends borders of Kashmir in Rajatarangini to North Punjab as well, which is evident from the King himself traveling with Chinese Buddhist monks to Hindu Shahi territory of Gandhara.
    https://www.dawn.com/news/1673480/hi...-arabs-arrived

Page 93 of 96 FirstFirst ... 43839192939495 ... LastLast