Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Does it matter where you get your raw data from?

Banned
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Telgu/marathi

Siberian Tatars Tajikistan

Does it matter where you get your raw data from?

How is 23andme, including the latest version, different from ftDNA, Ancestry, and the like when it comes to downloading raw data? Would the results from uploading raw data to Gedmatch taken from a kit sent to 23andme be different from those retrieved from a kit sent to Ancestry?

I really want to know as I've been pondering the possibility of sending another sample from my family to 23andme which is where I first got tested.

Registered Users
    Sex
    Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA (P)
    R-Z9
    mtDNA (M)
    H3

United States of America Japan England Scotland Germany
    Yes, they'll almost certainly differ somewhat because each company uses a different chip to analyze SNPs. There are about 10 million SNPs in the human genome but each company only analyzes a fraction of them (I think both Ancestry and 23andme at this point test something like 630,000). But they don't use exactly the same ones, so your results will definitely vary. They'll likely be similar but with different percentages and trace regions.

Personally, I've tested with both Ancestry and Living DNA and I get radically different results in Gedmatch, although it's partially attributable to the fact that LDNA can only be uploaded to the Gedmatch Genesis side. From what I understand, 23andMe's new chip is also only able to be uploaded in raw form on the Genesis side too.
    Last edited by jshook; 02-17-2018 at 11:43 PM.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jshook For This Useful Post:

Afshar (02-23-2018),  wombatofthenorth (02-27-2018)

Banned
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Telgu/marathi

Quote Originally Posted by jshook View Post
    Yes, they'll almost certainly differ somewhat because each company uses a different chip to analyze SNPs. There are about 10 million SNPs in the human genome but each company only analyzes a fraction of them (I think both Ancestry and 23andme at this point test something like 630,000). But they don't use exactly the same ones, so your results will definitely vary. They'll likely be similar but with different percentages and trace regions.

Personally, I've tested with both Ancestry and Living DNA and I get radically different results in Gedmatch, although it's partially attributable to the fact that LDNA can only be uploaded to the Gedmatch Genesis side. From what I understand, 23andMe's new chip is also only able to be uploaded in raw form on the Genesis side too.
    That's depressing knowing how hard it will be to figure out anything related to minor ancestries.

Registered Users
    Sex
    Nationality
    USA
    Y-DNA (P)
    I-FT248579
    mtDNA (M)
    H5

United States of America Canada
    Quote Originally Posted by Censored View Post
    That's depressing knowing how hard it will be to figure out anything related to minor ancestries.
    A few years back, Family Finder, AncestryDNA, and 23andMe were essentially the same test and compared well on GEDmatch. AncestryDNA and 23andMe have since reduced the numbers of SNP's used for genealogical purposes. I believe Family Finder has not changed its test yet. If you can get Family Finder, you ought to take it. As far as matching goes, I think FF gives the best results for more distant relationships and will do that with the 23andMe V3 chipset kits and the original AncestryDNA.

Jack

6. The Following User Says Thank You to C J Wyatt III For This Useful Post:

wombatofthenorth (02-27-2018)

Registered Users
    Sex

There are subtle differences but overall I don't think it's anything too major.

Banned
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Telgu/marathi

Quote Originally Posted by yelmex View Post
    If I tested on the V4 23andme chip, what should I do if I want a family member tested?

Registered Users
    Sex
    Nationality
    USA
    Y-DNA (P)
    I-FT248579
    mtDNA (M)
    H5

Quote Originally Posted by yelmex View Post
    They all will pick up matches within the first few generations, but the newer Ancestry DNA and 23andMe V2, V4, and V5 definitely do not do so well with distant matching. AncestryDNA is the worse because it not only reduced SNPs but Ancestry has dropped certain areas which it does not want to be bothered with. On GEDmatch, if I know a kit is the later Ancestry one, most of the time I do not bother with it.

Jack

10. The Following User Says Thank You to C J Wyatt III For This Useful Post:

Robert1 (02-21-2018)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Nationality
    USA
    Y-DNA (P)
    I-FT248579
    mtDNA (M)
    H5

Quote Originally Posted by Censored View Post
    If I tested on the V4 23andme chip, what should I do if I want a family member tested?
    I think all new testing on 23andMe uses the V5 chipset, so you are not going to get the same test you had anyhow. You cannot even use V5 with regular GEDmatch. I would go with Family Finder. If you can afford two tests, perhaps you should get a FF test yourself.

Just my opinion, but I hope it helps. Good luck!

Jack Wyatt

Registered Users
    Sex
    Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA (P)
    R-Z9
    mtDNA (M)
    H3

United States of America Japan England Scotland Germany
    I recently sent off my 23andMe test just out of pure curiosity (and it was on sale) but it's still in processing. I'll let you know what my results are compared to my Ancestry and Living DNA tests once they come it. For me personally, Ancestry actually gave me a lot of minor ethnicity that Living DNA did not, so I'll be interested to see how that compares to 23andMe.

Everyone on Anthrogenica seems to rave about FTDNA's Family Finder test but almost everyone I personally know who has taken it said it was vague and not especially useful. Do with that what you will.

Registered Users
    Sex
    Nationality
    USA
    Y-DNA (P)
    I-FT248579
    mtDNA (M)
    H5

Quote Originally Posted by jshook View Post
    Everyone on Anthrogenica seems to rave about FTDNA's Family Finder test but almost everyone I personally know who has taken it said it was vague and not especially useful. Do with that what you will.
    Yes, vague for admixture/ethnicity but that whole field is flawed. My main interest is distant matching and what I call the standard kits (FF, original AncestryDNA, and 23andMe V3) work the best on GEDmatch for that.

Of course Family Finder is the only "standard kit" which you can still get.

Jack

14. The Following User Says Thank You to C J Wyatt III For This Useful Post:

Robert1 (02-21-2018)

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast