Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Does it matter where you get your raw data from?

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    British & Irish
    Nationality
    USA
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1b>L513>A7> BY11186
    mtDNA (M)
    K1a4a1f
    Y-DNA (M)
    R-M269
    mtDNA (P)
    J2b1

Scotland Wales Ireland England Germany Netherlands
    I think MyHeritage also uses the "standard" chip like FTDNA, in fact it is processed in FTDNA's Houston lab. I believe this chip is the Illumina Omniexpress which likely will be phased out this year everywhere as Illumina is replacing it with the GSA version like Living DNA and 23&Me. I suppose AncestryDNA must follow suit as well. MyHeritage's ethnicity test is no better than FTDNA FF so they have no real advantage other than a possible amazing sale price.

I agree with Jack above in that I prefer the older chip for segment matching. So I am in the process of getting my family members tested at FTDNA to have the old Omniexpress raw data plus they keep the actual DNA sample in the freezer for 25 years in case a newer test comes around the bend, maybe Y-DNA or mtDNA.

Estimated ancestry after reviewing Ancestry.com, 23&Me, FTDNA My Origins, Living DNA and known family history:
    33% English, 27% Scottish, 18% Welsh, 18% Irish, 4% German/Netherlands

Y-DNA leads to Isle of Skye, Scottish Highlands: R1b>M343>L278>L754>L389>P297>M269>L23>L51>L151/L11>P312>Z290>L21/M529>DF13>L513/DF1>S5668>A7>Z21253> S7834 > S7828 > BY11203 > BY11186 (about 320-550 years old)

MTDNA leads to Glamorgan, South Wales: K1a4a1f

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Robert1 For This Useful Post:

C J Wyatt III (02-22-2018),  JMcB (02-21-2018)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA (P)
    E-V13
    mtDNA (M)
    H24a1

Ireland Germany Palatinate Cornwall Germany Bayern Switzerland Netherlands
    Quote Originally Posted by Censored View Post
    If I tested on the V4 23andme chip, what should I do if I want a family member tested?
    What family members are you testing? 23andMe offers the unique feature of phasing where it will improve a childs results based on connection with its parents; unfortunately, between v5 and older chips phasing has become fairly useless. Sure, your broadly ancestry components may drop, but if the results are anything like mine, my test contributes whole ethnicities or percentages of ethnicitie to my father that he either doesn't have on his own test, or in larger quantities than he has. Still, if you're testing a parent or child I wouldn't say phasing is worthless for those who have large "Broadly" numbers.

If you're testing an aunt, uncle, grandparent, sibling or cousin I wouldn't be afraid of branching out to a different service. AncestryDNAs genetic communities is a really cool feature--just check first on what communities are available for your population group.

Really depends on your objectives--ethnicity, health or genealogy. I'm a big proponent of livingDNA, not based on its accuracy but based on the effort they're going through to improve results in the future through the One Family project.
    Predominately English, Irish & German with Dutch, Swiss, French & Polish
    Y Haplogroup E-V13 ("Siegel" via Prussia), Mt Haplogroup H24a1 (via Unknown)

GEDmatch Kits: A436029, M213836, Z169952 GEDCOM: 7950338

Ancestry: Hidden Content
    MyHeritage: Hidden Content
    23andme: Hidden Content
    Living DNA: Hidden Content

Registered Users
    Sex
    Nationality
    Australian
    Y-DNA (P)
    T-P322 (T1a2b1)
    mtDNA (M)
    H6a1

Australia Cornwall England Scotland Germany Poland
    Your expressed objective has been to test another family member so that you can use those test results together with your own from 23andMe V4.
    And I understand that this is to find family/ancestors.
    There is a chart here https://isogg.org/wiki/Autosomal_SNP_comparison_chart
    that shows the overlap between different chip versions at different test labs.

How much overlap between test results affects how many generations back you can see.
    Smaller overlap means fewer generations.
    The critical point is somewhere around 4th cousins and beyond.
    So it depends where you want to research.

My ancestors left Europe around 1850, and it is often their parents or grandparents who are going to provide other descendants for me to match with.
    So my main interest is with other descendants of people born around 1770-1800.
    My useful matches usually come from this level.

But I have many more matches, particularly with people now in USA.
    Those who have posted trees and extensive ones at that, often go back to around 1700 and have still not come to their ancestor who crossed the Atlantic.
    Those matches have been lucky that the DNA segment has not been whittled away to nothing, but it happens in a small proportion.
    As I and they amass more matches common to both of us, we will be able to work out which ancestral lines in each of our trees lead to the match.
    And it may be worth working together on documentary sources to find the link.
    But if the match is not there, then nada.

Your greatest overlap with v4 from kits available today appear to be with FTDNA and MyHeritage.
    EVERYBODY will soon have to change to the latest chip version - or at least their own version of it - relatively soon.
    There is one other consideration - backwards compatibility WITHIN a lab.
    When a chip changes, the lab would like its existing customers to remain happy.
    So they usually try to work out some sort of correlation between the old chip set and the new, using examples from among their existing customers to refine the process.
    Or at least that is the story that they have told us directly or indirectly.
    So if you are comparing 23andMe V4 and v5 results at 23andMe, it should be better than doing it elsewhere.

But companies who bring in new stuff usually like to tell us about the research behind it and they often release a paper on the innovation and it would usually contain some information on how reliable this correlation might be.
    I have not seen any of this - not from 23andMe, and what came from the chip maker was some sort of simulation, not real data.
    They both say that they have internal data that shows things are fine.
    If things are really wonderful, people usually publish.
    So far, to me this amounts to "just trust us".
    And check frequent bloggers like https://dna-explained.com/ who have probably tried out the comparison.

So, you may choose to test where you are or try somewhere else for more overlap.
    Be aware that your best move some time in the future may be to re-test yourself on whatever chip you have tested your family member at.
    So you may end up with some matches who appear only on one chip version or the other.
    Last edited by Saetro; 02-22-2018 at 08:16 PM.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Saetro For This Useful Post:

C J Wyatt III (02-23-2018)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    North & Ionian Seas
    Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA (P)
    I1 (P109)

England Italy Germany Scotland
    I don't understand how it matters where the raw data comes from. just because company ABC says it breaks down to this or that (based on their own interpretations) doesn't change what it actually is. your raw data from 23. ancestry, FT or what ever, it will not change as to what it is, just each company will view it differently. isn't this correct?

Registered Users
    Sex
    Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA (P)
    R-Z9
    mtDNA (M)
    H3

United States of America Japan England Scotland Germany
    Quote Originally Posted by JerryS. View Post
    I don't understand how it matters where the raw data comes from. just because company ABC says it breaks down to this or that (based on their own interpretations) doesn't change what it actually is. your raw data from 23. ancestry, FT or what ever, it will not change as to what it is, just each company will view it differently. isn't this correct?
    Yes and no. Yes, your DNA will be the same. But you're assuming that that every company looks at 100% of the SNPs in your genome and thus would all get the same results. In actuality, each company only looks at 500,000 to 650,000 or so of the 10,000,000+ you have and they don't all test the same ones. So they'll likely be similar but they don't won't be exact matches. In other words, these companies only look at 5% or 6% of your total DNA and it's not the same 5% for each one.
    Last edited by jshook; 02-23-2018 at 03:57 PM.

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to jshook For This Useful Post:

ajc347 (02-25-2018),  JerryS. (02-24-2018),  Saetro (02-23-2018),  Vicmalaga (02-26-2018)

Banned
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Telgu/marathi

Siberian Tatars Tajikistan
    Quote Originally Posted by JerryS. View Post
    That's how it should be but apparently its not. The segments they analyze are different for each company so the raw data will be different.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Censored For This Useful Post:

Vicmalaga (02-26-2018)

Gold Class Member
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    German
    Nationality
    Galactic Empire
    Y-DNA (P)
    R-Z324, Z5055, L188+
    mtDNA (M)
    H5

The best long term option would be to get data from a WGS test and extract out the calls for whatever SNP chip you need to compare data against. This way you don't have problems with imputation errors and you will have lots of other data available, like CNVs, microdeletions, that could be genealogically relevant.

Sex

Romania
    Quote Originally Posted by C J Wyatt III View Post
    Yes, vague for admixture/ethnicity but that whole field is flawed. My main interest is distant matching and what I call the standard kits (FF, original AncestryDNA, and 23andMe V3) work the best on GEDmatch for that.

Of course Family Finder is the only "standard kit" which you can still get.

Jack
    What about MyHeritage raw data?

13. The Following User Says Thank You to ddloe For This Useful Post:

C J Wyatt III (02-24-2018)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    North & Ionian Seas
    Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA (P)
    I1 (P109)

England Italy Germany Scotland
    Quote Originally Posted by jshook View Post
    Yes and no. Yes, your DNA will be the same. But you're assuming that that every company looks at 100% of the SNPs in your genome and thus would all get the same results. In actuality, each company only looks at 500,000 to 650,000 or so of the 10,000,000+ you have and they don't all test the same ones. So they'll likely be similar but they don't won't be exact matches. In other words, these companies only look at 5% or 6% of your total DNA and it's not the same 5% for each one.
    this explains why GEDmatch is so popular and more successful with aiding people with their ethnicity breakdowns.

Registered Users
    Sex
    Nationality
    USA
    Y-DNA (P)
    I-FT248579
    mtDNA (M)
    H5

United States of America Canada
    Quote Originally Posted by ddloe View Post
    What about MyHeritage raw data?
    Robert1 elaborated about that a few posts back. Apparently it has test similar to FF.

Jack

16. The Following User Says Thank You to C J Wyatt III For This Useful Post:

ddloe (02-26-2018)

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast