Métis
    Nationality
    Canadian
    Y-DNA (P)
    R-Z198 (DF27)
    mtDNA (M)
    T2B-T152C

Canada England Scotland Germany Poland France
    This is entirely anecdotal but currently I live in Taiwan and I can't help but notice how tall many of the locals are. It may be because I live in a very rich area but the idea that ethnically Chinese people are short has been disproven in my eyes. One of my neighbors has trouble walking into the elevator. It isn't like everyone in this area is tall but a large percentage of people appear to be over 6'3.
    Paper trail ancestry to the best of my knowledge:
    English (possibly containing some Welsh ancestry) 31.25%, Scottish 17.96%, Scotch-Irish 12.5%, Eastern German 12.5%, Eastern European (Likely Polish possibly including Romanian) 12.5%, French 7.81%, Native American (Saulteaux and Assiniboine) 2.34%, and Colonial American, 3.125%, which cannot be traced with certainty. With certainty, there is Dutch (at least 1.36%) and some English.

Quote Originally Posted by rms2 View Post
    My own height is 185.42 cm or 6 foot 1 inch. Here's a height bell curve I found. I'm not sure what the source of its stats is, and I don't feel like hunting it down, so take it with whatever size grain of salt you feel is needed. It strikes me as probably fairly accurate.

Attachment 28347
    I feel like that graph would have been made either when people were shorter, or perhaps with people all across the world. I'm 175cm and considered somewhat short and at best medium-short (not within the Jewish community, I'd be about average there, but comparing myself to natives in England at least).

Gold Class Member
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    British and Irish
    Nationality
    USA
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1b-DF41>FGC36981
    mtDNA (M)
    U5a2c3a
    Y-DNA (M)
    R1b-DF27>DF83
    mtDNA (P)
    K1a1a

Wales Ireland Scotland France Bretagne England Switzerland
    My own height is 185.42 cm or 6 foot 1 inch. Here's a height bell curve I found. I'm not sure what the source of its stats is, and I don't feel like hunting it down, so take it with whatever size grain of salt you feel is needed. It strikes me as probably fairly accurate.

Attachment 28347
    I judge those bell curves by my own personal experience. At my height, I am taller than most other guys but still shorter than many of them. That's basically what I see reflected in the male bell curve above, so it strikes me as reasonably accurate.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rms2 For This Useful Post:

JMcB (01-21-2019),  MikeWhalen (01-21-2019)

I am 5'9 or 175cm, late 20s, and find myself often shorter than most other guys in my race and age group. 5'9 is supposedly the average height for men in America.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to ianz91 For This Useful Post:

JMcB (01-21-2019)

Gold Class Member
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Appalachia
    Nationality
    USA
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1b-U152>L20>CTS9733
    mtDNA (M)
    H1b1-T16362C

Attachment 28347
    What country or region does the data represent?
    FTDNA Big-Y SNP Results: R1b-U152+, L2+, Z367+, Z384+, L20+, CTS9733+, S10068+, S1693+, BY34096

Milam / Mileham / Milum Y-DNA Surname Project
    Hidden Content

My Avatar is an image of my family history website's home page: Hidden Content
    An history of Thomas Milam (1738) and his 6 sons as found in Virginia court records from 1738 - 1820.

Gold Class Member
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Appalachia
    Nationality
    USA
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1b-U152>L20>CTS9733
    mtDNA (M)
    H1b1-T16362C

I judge those bell curves by my own personal experience. At my height, I am taller than most other guys but still shorter than many of them. That's basically what I see reflected in the male bell curve above, so it strikes me as reasonably accurate.
    The apex of the curve for men is 177 cm which calculates to 5 feet, 8 inches tall - Not an average height for men here in Virginia. I think.
    FTDNA Big-Y SNP Results: R1b-U152+, L2+, Z367+, Z384+, L20+, CTS9733+, S10068+, S1693+, BY34096

Milam / Mileham / Milum Y-DNA Surname Project
    Hidden Content

My Avatar is an image of my family history website's home page: Hidden Content
    An history of Thomas Milam (1738) and his 6 sons as found in Virginia court records from 1738 - 1820.

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Moldovan/Romanian
    Y-DNA (P)
    I-PH908*, DYS561=15
    mtDNA (M)
    T2a1b1a

Moldova Romania European Union
    It's a combination of nutrition and genetics, but as the Dutch have shown, nutrition is the initial kickstarter. People also can't grow indefinitely and the cut-off before health issues start to kick in is somewhere in the range of 1.95-2m if I'm not mistaken.
    Recent ancestry: 2/4 Central Moldova (Orhei district), 1/4 Southern Moldova (Cahul district), 1/4 Northern Moldova (Briceni district)
    Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Gold Class Member
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    British and Irish
    Nationality
    USA
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1b-DF41>FGC36981
    mtDNA (M)
    U5a2c3a
    Y-DNA (M)
    R1b-DF27>DF83
    mtDNA (P)
    K1a1a

Wales Ireland Scotland France Bretagne England Switzerland
    Quote Originally Posted by Celt_?? View Post
    What country or region does the data represent?
    See this post.

Gold Class Member
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    SGC+TRB Creool
    Nationality
    NL
    Y-DNA (P)
    E-V22

Netherlands
    I think I live in a city (half of them is beneath 30) with may be the tallest people in Europe. The average man in Groningen is about 185 cm.

I guess this has partly a nurture explanation, the welfare has risen over the last hunderd year, soo good nutrition (lots of cheese and milk

But it's also nature, because even in tiny Netherlands the North Dutch stay on average 2 cm longer than the South Dutch.

So there is a genetic factor, lately there is much discussion about the corded roots of the Dutch Bell Beaker....has this also influenced the genotype for example genes for greater length?

Anyone?

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Finn For This Useful Post:

Bas (01-23-2019)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Y-DNA (P)
    G2a
    mtDNA (M)
    H1

United Kingdom
    Quote Originally Posted by Finn View Post
    I think I live in a city (half of them is beneath 30) with may be the tallest people in Europe. The average man in Groningen is about 185 cm.

I guess this has partly a nurture explanation, the welfare has risen over the last hunderd year, soo good nutrition (lots of cheese and milk

But it's also nature, because even in tiny Netherlands the North Dutch stay on average 2 cm longer than the South Dutch.

So there is a genetic factor, lately there is much discussion about the corded roots of the Dutch Bell Beaker....has this also influenced the genotype for example genes for greater length?

Anyone?
    This is a good article on genetic height in Europe, although it doesn't go into specifics about the Dutch.
    http://mathii.github.io/review/2015/...ight-in-europe

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to morganman3 For This Useful Post:

Celt_?? (01-24-2019),  Finn (01-21-2019)

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast