Thread: E-L485

E-L485

Hello, I'm hoping that someone here could tell me more about haplogroup E-L485.

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Anglo
    Nationality
    Canadian

It is a very common African haplogroup, about ten thousand years old, one of the many branches of E-V43. Its most common branch, E-M191, is found throughout most of Sub-Saharan African (especially in the form of E-U174), while other branches may be more restricted to West Africa.

So yeah, does not narrow it down much I'm afraid.

If it's a very common sub African group then why am I only finding people who are 100% middle eastern with it?

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Anglo
    Nationality
    Canadian

Where are you looking, and what are you looking at?

On middle eastern forums, the other E-L485s tested as middle eastern and north African. Hopefully one of them will write back, they're the only E-L485s I've found so far unfortunately

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Anglo
    Nationality
    Canadian

Huh, well, if you tested through Family Tree DNA then there's the haplogroup E-V38 project

https://www.familytreedna.com/public...frame=yresults

African-Americans would probably be the ones with the most L485 in private testing. But if you are Middle Eastern yourself you might find your nearest relatives among other Middle Easterners anyway.

Yeah, I suppose you're right. I'm lost to why African Americans may test for it then it skips most of Africa but shows in middle easterns if it is a common west African haplogroup . Maybe you're mixing it up with E-M180, which 60% of African Africans have according to 23andme. Is Family Tree DNA worth buying? It won't let me upload 23andme results because of their new chip.

The only thing it says on 23andme is
    "E-L485
    < 17,000
    Years Ago
    Your paternal haplogroup, E-L485, traces back to a man who lived less than 17,000 years ago.
    That's nearly 680 generations ago! What happened between then and now? As researchers and citizen scientists discover more about your haplogroup, new details may be added to the story of your paternal line."

Registered Users
    Sex

L485 is a subclade of M180, which is a subclade of E1b1a/E-m2

Hi, I have just picked up this thread. I personally do not have my Paternal DNA however, I have just discovered my one and only Nephew who has the E-L485 PHPL. I also discovered or rather confirmed that my Paternal father was from Dominica Commonwealth. I do have a brother who I never knew about, nor he I, who I suspect has the same E-L485. He is the father of my nephew but has no contact with him. So as far as being common I am not too sure at the moment. I Would like to make contact with the my Paternal side of the family. Hence my sudden interest & research into E-L485.