Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12

Thread: Geno 2.0 and Insitome Ancestry

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Posts
    4
    Sex

    Geno 2.0 and Insitome Ancestry

    Thought this might be of interest. I had the Helix test done as part of the Geno 2.0. I then purchased the Insitome Ancestry test. Below are the two results, which, unless I am just dense, seem radically different. If I could post the pictures you would see that the geographies listed just don't seem to add up. Is there anyway to think about this other than that both are likely just crummy based on the Helix data? Thanks, n

    Geno 2.0

    Southwestern European 42%
    Northwestern European 27%
    Eastern European 23%
    Northeastern European 7%


    Insitome

    Western European 69%
    Northern Mediterranean 16%
    Finnish 8%
    Sardinian 4%
    Basque 3%

  2. The Following User Says Thank You to nathanxmeyer For This Useful Post:

     AbdoNumen (12-05-2018)

  3. #2
    Registered Users
    Posts
    1,263
    Sex
    Location
    USA
    Ethnicity
    Latvian
    Nationality
    USA
    Y-DNA (P)
    R-L20
    mtDNA (M)
    k1a4a1k

    Quote Originally Posted by nathanxmeyer View Post
    Thought this might be of interest. I had the Helix test done as part of the Geno 2.0. I then purchased the Insitome Ancestry test. Below are the two results, which, unless I am just dense, seem radically different. If I could post the pictures you would see that the geographies listed just don't seem to add up. Is there anyway to think about this other than that both are likely just crummy based on the Helix data? Thanks, n

    Geno 2.0

    Southwestern European 42%
    Northwestern European 27%
    Eastern European 23%
    Northeastern European 7%


    Insitome

    Western European 69%
    Northern Mediterranean 16%
    Finnish 8%
    Sardinian 4%
    Basque 3%
    16+4+3 = 23 of the 42

    19 of the 42 + 27=46 of the 69

    46+ 23 = 69

    7=8

  4. The Following User Says Thank You to wombatofthenorth For This Useful Post:

     Exosuits (02-28-2018)

  5. #3
    Registered Users
    Posts
    771

    Quote Originally Posted by nathanxmeyer View Post
    Thought this might be of interest. I had the Helix test done as part of the Geno 2.0. I then purchased the Insitome Ancestry test. Below are the two results, which, unless I am just dense, seem radically different. If I could post the pictures you would see that the geographies listed just don't seem to add up. Is there anyway to think about this other than that both are likely just crummy based on the Helix data? Thanks, n

    Geno 2.0

    Southwestern European 42%
    Northwestern European 27%
    Eastern European 23%
    Northeastern European 7%


    Insitome

    Western European 69%
    Northern Mediterranean 16%
    Finnish 8%
    Sardinian 4%
    Basque 3%
    Your Northwestern 27 + Southwestern 42 = Western 69 perfectly.

    Your Northeastern 7 is very close to Finnish 8. So 76% of your results are practically identical on both tests.

    For the remaining 23-24% all I can say is that I have a friend who on some tests his Eastern European gets assigned to Eastern Med or Balkans, and his Northern Italian sometimes gets assigned to Iberia.

  6. #4
    Junior Member
    Posts
    4
    Sex

    Hi, thanks for the responses.

    Yes, the numbers look deceptively similar but between the two sites the only geographic overlap is the Finnish=Northeastern which is exactly overlapping. Western European on Insitome is British Isles and Atlantic seaboard of France, Netherlands, Denmark which is almost the same as Geno 2.0 Northwestern Europe, the latter including Norway and Sweden.

    Geno 2.0 Southwestern is Iberia and the Pyrenees region of France, which would overlap best with Insitome's Northern Med which includes Catalonia in Spain. Geno 2.0 Eastern Europe includes Greece and at 23% would consume all the Insitome's Northern Med and some, still leaving me with 42% in Iberia.

    So, there is really no good way to rearrange the numbers. And, as Helix data appears not to work with any independent sites, there is no way to bring in a third analysis at this time.

  7. #5
    Registered Users
    Posts
    771

    Quote Originally Posted by nathanxmeyer View Post
    Hi, thanks for the responses.

    Yes, the numbers look deceptively similar but between the two sites the only geographic overlap is the Finnish=Northeastern which is exactly overlapping. Western European on Insitome is British Isles and Atlantic seaboard of France, Netherlands, Denmark which is almost the same as Geno 2.0 Northwestern Europe, the latter including Norway and Sweden.

    Geno 2.0 Southwestern is Iberia and the Pyrenees region of France, which would overlap best with Insitome's Northern Med which includes Catalonia in Spain. Geno 2.0 Eastern Europe includes Greece and at 23% would consume all the Insitome's Northern Med and some, still leaving me with 42% in Iberia.

    So, there is really no good way to rearrange the numbers. And, as Helix data appears not to work with any independent sites, there is no way to bring in a third analysis at this time.
    I wouldn’t put too much stock into the maps they create for each region. It’s the snps they are assigning to each region that matters. I’m French Canadian and Belgian and I get the same amount of “Iberian Peninsula” on Ancestry as I get “Southwestern” on Gengove. Difference being that on Gencove the map for Southwestern shades almost up to the Loire River. Regardless of the maps they are looking at the same snps which primarily come from my French Canadian ancestors from La Rochelle in central/west France along the Bay of Biscay.

    On FTDNA 2.0 my Northwestern scores and Southwestern scores are combined similar to Insitome. So some companies like to call all of France Western Europe and other companies like to differentiate between northwest France and southwest France.

  8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mwauthy For This Useful Post:

     timberwolf (03-03-2018),  wombatofthenorth (03-02-2018)

  9. #6
    Junior Member
    Posts
    7
    Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA (P)
    R-U198
    mtDNA (M)
    K1a1

    United States of America United States Gadsden Singapore
    My Geno 2.0 Helix results:
    Northwestern European 43%
    Southwestern European 38%
    Northeastern European 12%
    Eastern European 5.3%

    My Insitome results

    Western European 73%
    Eastern European 10%
    Finnish 8%
    Sardinian 6%
    North Mediterranean 3%

  10. #7
    Registered Users
    Posts
    771

    Quote Originally Posted by dillardo torres View Post
    My Geno 2.0 Helix results:
    Northwestern European 43%
    Southwestern European 38%
    Northeastern European 12%
    Eastern European 5.3%

    My Insitome results

    Western European 73%
    Eastern European 10%
    Finnish 8%
    Sardinian 6%
    North Mediterranean 3%
    Pretty close scores. Insitome just separated Sardinia and Northern Med from Helix Southwestern. If you add up scores you have 81% Western Europe on Helix and 82% Western Europe/North And West Med on Insitome.

    On Helix you have 17.3% North and East European and on Insitome 18% North and East Europe. Your scores are practically identical. You just have small nuance differences with region names.

  11. #8
    Junior Member
    Posts
    7
    Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA (P)
    R-U198
    mtDNA (M)
    K1a1

    United States of America United States Gadsden Singapore
    Yeah, there just seems to be a difference in how they're grouped(the geographic regions/populations). I talked to Razib at insitome, and he basically said that the Geno 2.0 Northwestern European reference populations are more constrained (in terms of number of references and geography) than insitome. It should be noted that he help with designing both Geno 2.0 and insitome. Razib also said that they'll be tweaking the reference populations later in the next couple of months. So expect the results to change a little.

  12. #9
    Registered Users
    Posts
    771

    Quote Originally Posted by dillardo torres View Post
    Yeah, there just seems to be a difference in how they're grouped(the geographic regions/populations). I talked to Razib at insitome, and he basically said that the Geno 2.0 Northwestern European reference populations are more constrained (in terms of number of references and geography) than insitome. It should be noted that he help with designing both Geno 2.0 and insitome. Razib also said that they'll be tweaking the reference populations later in the next couple of months. So expect the results to change a little.
    What is your paper trail? Your scores aren’t too far off from what I would score?

  13. #10
    Junior Member
    Posts
    7
    Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA (P)
    R-U198
    mtDNA (M)
    K1a1

    United States of America United States Gadsden Singapore
    Paper trail? Sorry, I'm confused. Paper trail in what context?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 7
    Last Post: 08-29-2020, 07:26 PM
  2. Insitome
    By rdegnen in forum Other
    Replies: 40
    Last Post: 09-01-2019, 07:45 PM
  3. My Insitome Regional Ancestry
    By nuplix in forum Southern
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12-20-2018, 01:50 AM
  4. Geno 2.0 vs 23andme/ancestry results
    By Missouri1455 in forum AncestryDNA
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 02-07-2017, 10:56 PM
  5. Replies: 6
    Last Post: 07-24-2014, 08:29 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •