Pred.Anglo-Saxon + Briton
    Nationality
    Canadian
    Y-DNA
    R1b S21184, BY50830+
    mtDNA
    U4b1a2 - FGS

Canada England Wales Netherlands France Cornwall
    I hate being lumped in with this group. Generation Z will be even dumber.
    YDNA: R1b-Z220 (A7066+) (1800's Stepney, London(Bethnal Green), UK George Wood b. 1782
    maternal-grandfather YDNA: prob. I1 Gurr, George 1843, Feversham, Kent, England.
    maternal-grandmother YDNA: R1b-P311+ Beech, John Richard b. 1780, Lewes, England
    maternal-ggrandfather YDNA R1b-U106 Thomas, Edward b 1854, Sittingbourne, Kent
    paternal-ggf YDNA: R1b-L48. Gould, John Somerset England 1800s.
    paternal-ggf YDNA: R1b-L48. Scott, William Hamilton mdka Ireland(?) < 1800s

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    European blend
    Nationality
    USA
    Y-DNA
    R1a1a1a1 L664/YP5623
    mtDNA
    U5b2b2/G228A

United States of America European Union Norway Austrian Empire United Kingdom Germany Imperial
    Quote Originally Posted by tchekitchek View Post
    The Silent generation are those who lived too young to participate to WWII but lived through it as an infant/child.
    Yep, that's me alright. My earliest memories were in Minneapolis, Minnesota and then later moving to Madison, Wisconsin when I was 5 years old. I remember Snelling Field with its noisy aircraft, including yellow bi-winged trainers. Then Truax Field near Madison with shot-up larger planes. I also recall a low overflight of a formation of those strange huge B-36s with their rear-pointed engines in Madison at the Wisconsin Centennial parade in 1948.
    Last edited by Baltimore1937; 03-09-2018 at 04:14 AM.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Baltimore1937 For This Useful Post:

tchekitchek (03-09-2018)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Omitted

Classifications such as this one are never watertight. They are attempts to describe largely generalizable characteristics, and nothing more. However, as attempts go, these are some of the more successful ones. These are just guides, one of the many ways in which one can approach the fact of generational differences.

Registered Users
    Sex

Quote Originally Posted by mainer View Post
    Classifications such as this one are never watertight. They are attempts to describe largely generalizable characteristics, and nothing more. However, as attempts go, these are some of the more successful ones. These are just guides, one of the many ways in which one can approach the fact of generational differences.
    I agree with this.

OT: Interesting, there seems to be a lot of different definitions for the time periods that constitute each generation.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Berdy For This Useful Post:

mainer (10-15-2018)

Sex
    Ethnicity
    Germanic
    Nationality
    Swedish

Sweden Finland Kalmar Union Sami
    Quote Originally Posted by tchekitchek View Post
    Naming generations is arbitrary even according to the original "conceptors" of generational theory (William Strauss and Neil Howe), but don't forget they divided each generation in two cohorts. For example, there is a big difference between a Gen Xer born in 1969 and one born in 1980. Their cultural landscape and outlook will be different. The first one will share characteristics of the Boomers and the later with the Millenials. It's a spectrum.

I think 1981-1996 is alright, with the first cohort from 1981 to 1989, (the transition being the fall of the berlin wall or the Gulf war) then the second cohort from 1990 to 1997.
    I would say that 1985-1996 is a better breakdown of Millennials. Anybody born past that is Gen Z.

Quote Originally Posted by Batroun View Post
    Tbh although I am a millennial I can see myself having more in common with Generation Z as they get older.
    How so?
    ďAnd, furthermore, that some people have a sex life and others donít just because some are more attractive than others. I wanted to acknowledge that if people donít have a sex life, itís not for some moral reason, itís just because theyíre ugly. Once youíve said it, it sounds obvious, but I wanted to say it.Ē ó Michel Houellebecq

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12