Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Uploading BigY results to YFull (.VCF vs .BAM)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Celtiberian
    Nationality
    Spanish
    Y-DNA (P)
    R-Y22889
    mtDNA (M)
    H3-T152C!

Spain Andalucia Spanish Empire (1506-1701)

Question Uploading BigY results to YFull (.VCF vs .BAM)

Hello,

I have been waiting for FTDNA to make my BigY .BAM file available for download. Following the advice I have read here, IŽd like to upload it to YFull. I have requested it twice, lots of months have passed and they still insist that they have some works going on and they cannot do it yet.

However I noticed YFull also accepts raw data in .VCF format. What is exactly the difference? I mean, what could I be potentially missing if I upload the .VCF file?

What I get from the info in their site is that if I upload the .VCF file I wonŽt be able to have STR matches nor STR age estimation.

Is it that all or are more things to take into account?
    Do you have a question or topic about genetics in Spain and/or prefer to use Spanish language? Visit the new subforum!

Hidden Content

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Shadogowah For This Useful Post:

jdbreazeale (09-03-2020)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Mostly Welsh,+ flags
    Nationality
    British
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1a- Z283 - Y128147
    mtDNA (M)
    J2a1a1a

Wales Scotland Ireland Cornwall United Kingdom
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadogowah View Post
    Hello,

I have been waiting for FTDNA to make my BigY .BAM file available for download. Following the advice I have read here, IŽd like to upload it to YFull. I have requested it twice, lots of months have passed and they still insist that they have some works going on and they cannot do it yet.

However I noticed YFull also accepts raw data in .VCF format. What is exactly the difference? I mean, what could I be potentially missing if I upload the .VCF file?

What I get from the info in their site is that if I upload the .VCF file I wonŽt be able to have STR matches nor STR age estimation.

Is it that all or are more things to take into account?
    Hi there, well I think you got nothing to lose because you would be entitled to the free upgrade, once you do finally get your BAM, I think the .VCF file isn't much use without STR matches, and also SNP matches, or age estimation.
    But you get the upgrade and get to keep YFULL in business, which benefits us all.
    Gedmatch
    Kit Num: M129412, QA3736362
    23andme
    Hidden Content
    LivingDNA
    Hidden Content

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to [email protected] For This Useful Post:

jdbreazeale (09-03-2020),  lgmayka (03-08-2018),  REWM (03-08-2018),  Shadogowah (03-09-2018)

Gold Class Member
    Sex

Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
    I think the .VCF file isn't much use without STR matches, and also SNP matches, or age estimation.
    YFull's VCF analysis does include:
    - Placement on their haplotree, including the addition or splitting of branches (with the next revision of the tree)
    - Listing and reliability estimation of unshared SNPs.

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to lgmayka For This Useful Post:

jdbreazeale (09-03-2020),  JMcB (03-08-2018),  [email protected] (03-08-2018)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Mostly Welsh,+ flags
    Nationality
    British
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1a- Z283 - Y128147
    mtDNA (M)
    J2a1a1a

Quote Originally Posted by lgmayka View Post
    - Placement on their haplotree, including the addition or splitting of branches (with the next revision of the tree)
    Yes indeed it does, and thanks for the reminder, so no reason to wait really for the BAM, as this is a free upgrade.
    Gedmatch
    23andme
    Hidden Content
    LivingDNA
    Hidden Content

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to [email protected] For This Useful Post:

jdbreazeale (09-03-2020),  JMcB (03-09-2018),  lgmayka (03-08-2018)

Gold Class Member
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    English, Scottish & Irish
    Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA (P)
    I-FT80854
    mtDNA (M)
    H1e2
    mtDNA (P)
    K1

England Scotland Ireland Germany Bayern Italy Two Sicilies France
    Quote Originally Posted by lgmayka View Post
    I believe you’ll also be given a list of all those who match you on your SNP matches page. Recently two new VCF file members join my branch and both of them are already listed on mine.
    Last edited by JMcB; 03-08-2018 at 06:46 PM.

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to JMcB For This Useful Post:

jdbreazeale (09-03-2020),  lgmayka (03-08-2018),  [email protected] (03-08-2018)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Celtiberian
    Nationality
    Spanish
    Y-DNA (P)
    R-Y22889
    mtDNA (M)
    H3-T152C!

Spain Andalucia Spanish Empire (1506-1701)
    Thanks to all.

I'll upload my .VCF file then.
    Do you have a question or topic about genetics in Spain and/or prefer to use Spanish language? Visit the new subforum!

Hidden Content

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Shadogowah For This Useful Post:

jdbreazeale (09-03-2020),  [email protected] (03-19-2018)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Ger.-Brit.-Catalan-more
    Nationality
    (U.S.) American
    Y-DNA (P)
    R-YP619*
    mtDNA (M)
    H1bg

United Kingdom Germany Bayern Catalonia France Ireland Switzerland
    Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
    Hi there, well I think you got nothing to lose because you would be entitled to the free upgrade, once you do finally get your BAM, I think the .VCF file isn't much use without STR matches, and also SNP matches, or age estimation.
    But you get the upgrade and get to keep YFULL in business, which benefits us all.
    Besides all that, you apparently can't get your BAM file now anyway. After I requested activation and waiting what I thought was a reasonable amount of time, I decided to email them again and got this response:

Hello,

Thank you for your email. My apologies for the misinformation you were given previously, we are not currently processing BAM file requests.

After the update to the Big Y test we allow you to browse your BAM file in real time so are not processing requests at this time. We do have plans to make BAM files available to our Big Y customers, this will be sometime in late spring when we will do so. Please open a ticket during that time so we may update you on the BAM file processing.

Thank you for your patience.

"Browsing the BAM file in real time" is not really a very good substitute for being able to download the file. At least it sounds as if this situation isn't meant to last forever, and they eventually plan to offer the file again. "Late spring" technically means no later than about June 20th, since summer begins the 21st.
    Besides British-German-Catalan, ancestry includes smaller amounts of French, Irish, Swiss, Choctaw & another NA tribe, possibly Catawba. Avatar picture is: my father, his father, & his father's father; baby is my eldest brother.

GB

Registered Users
    Sex
    Y-DNA (P)
    Z18>S15309>S8402

I don't recall ever seeing a message from FTDNA stating "we allow you to browse your BAM file in real time". My second request for downloading my BAM file got this response on Jan 3, 2018:

Hello,
    Thanks for contacting us. We are currently unable to request and generate BAM files but hope to have your BAM file available for request in early 2018. We will send out a message to all project administrators and hopefully also all Big Y participants once BAM files are able to be requested again. I apologize for the inconvenience.
    The two part question I have is: Do I need to submit another request once my BAM file is available? How will I know it's available?

15. The Following User Says Thank You to JohnInMass For This Useful Post:

[email protected] (03-19-2018)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Mostly Welsh,+ flags
    Nationality
    British
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1a- Z283 - Y128147
    mtDNA (M)
    J2a1a1a

Quote Originally Posted by JohnInMass View Post
    I don't recall ever seeing a message from FTDNA stating "we allow you to browse your BAM file in real time". My second request for downloading my BAM file got this response on Jan 3, 2018:

The two part question I have is: Do I need to submit another request once my BAM file is available? How will I know it's available?
    Hiya,

I think you are in a similar position to many recent Big Y testers, who are now waiting for their BAM file to download, I submitted my request for BAM download early January.
    The last I heard was they were aiming to make available BAM download in the Spring (make of that what you will) and they would email requester's when available. I think also they don't like you requesting more than one time, I seem to recall.
    Gedmatch
    23andme
    Hidden Content
    LivingDNA
    Hidden Content

17. The Following User Says Thank You to [email protected] For This Useful Post:

jdbreazeale (09-03-2020)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Y-DNA (P)
    Z18>S15309>S8402

as one wag stated: "in the spring, but they don't say which year"

19. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to JohnInMass For This Useful Post:

Joe B (03-19-2018),  [email protected] (03-19-2018),  slievenamon (03-21-2018)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast