Nationality
    USA
    Y-DNA
    I-FGC24357
    mtDNA
    H5

United States of America Canada
    Quote Originally Posted by Modernancientdna View Post
    You were referring to FTDNA being better than Ancestry despite FTDNA getting more No-Calls? I am wanting to download FTDNA raw data, I dont know file that needs to be downloaded it says "Build 37 File"

Is that correct raw data file I need?
    What are you using your raw data for? Is it to be sent to GEDmatch?

Jack

Registered Users
    Sex
    Nationality
    USA
    Y-DNA
    I-FGC24357
    mtDNA
    H5

Quote Originally Posted by rothaer View Post
    Could it also be a charge of chips with a common defect in one region of the chip?
    I don't know. Maybe. FTDNA seems to have relaxed its own standards about the permissible level of no-call's, so that really begs the question of what is going on?

Jack

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Russian/a bit Ashkenazi
    Nationality
    Russian
    Y-DNA
    R1a-Z92>YP569

Russian Federation Ukraine Belarus Israel
    They probably just removed some SNPs, but their names remained in our files. This thread should be closed, thanks to dtvmcdonald.
    myOrigins: 77% East Europe, 14% Finland, 2% Siberia, 2% Northeast Asia, 2% Central Asia, <2% North and Central America
    GEDmatch: T159830 (me), T276978 (maternal granny)

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Oleg (Rus) For This Useful Post:

C J Wyatt III (03-12-2018)

Registered Users
    Sex

I have many such files over a long period. A quick look says that FTDNA added about 12000 SNPs to the list
    sometime between last summer and now. I did not check to see if they were all nocalls.
    Once again, I suspect that the large number of nocalls is a positive quality control development.

Its better to have a nocall than an error.

Comparing to Ancestry, FTDNA has lots more good SNPs. Ancestry has only about 637550 autosomal SNPs
    in toto. FTDNA has about 702440. Even with nocalls FTDNA has more.

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to dtvmcdonald For This Useful Post:

C J Wyatt III (03-12-2018), evon (03-12-2018), wombatofthenorth (03-17-2018)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Nationality
    USA
    Y-DNA
    I-FGC24357
    mtDNA
    H5

Quote Originally Posted by dtvmcdonald View Post
    I have many such files over a long period. A quick look says that FTDNA added about 12000 SNPs to the list
    sometime between last summer and now. I did not check to see if they were all nocalls.
    Once again, I suspect that the large number of nocalls is a positive quality control development.

Its better to have a nocall than an error.

Comparing to Ancestry, FTDNA has lots more good SNPs. Ancestry has only about 637550 autosomal SNPs
    in toto. FTDNA has about 702440. Even with nocalls FTDNA has more.
    My understanding is that in the newer version of AncestryDNA around 200,000 of those SNPs are no longer used for genealogical matching. The newer AncestryDNA kits are ruining GEDmatch in my opinion.

Jack Wyatt

Banned
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Russian_cossack 47%
    Nationality
    Polish
    Y-DNA
    I2a1b2
    mtDNA
    U2

Poland
    Quote Originally Posted by C J Wyatt III View Post
    What are you using your raw data for? Is it to be sent to GEDmatch?

Jack
    Yes Gedmatch, and uploads to other sites that accept file. I have only order 19$ autosomal transfer from FTDNA am I able to download the data same as users who have purchase kit from them?

Registered Users
    Sex
    Nationality
    USA
    Y-DNA
    I-FGC24357
    mtDNA
    H5

Quote Originally Posted by Modernancientdna View Post
    Yes Gedmatch, and uploads to other sites that accept file. I have only order 19$ autosomal transfer from FTDNA am I able to download the data same as users who have purchase kit from them?
    What company was the original kit purchased from and when did you get it? Both AncestryDNA and 23andMe have their own procedure to download raw data to GEDmatch. I am not sure that you could download the raw data of a transfer from Family Finder.

Someone correct if I am wrong, but I think GEDmatch continued to use Build36 with Family Finder even after Build37 came along. I think you can use either (just make sure it is a concatenated file), but GEDmatch converts Build37 back to Build36. I usually use Build36 for that reason.

Jack

Banned
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Russian_cossack 47%
    Nationality
    Polish
    Y-DNA
    I2a1b2
    mtDNA
    U2

Poland
    What company was the original kit purchased from and when did you get it? Both AncestryDNA and 23andMe have their own procedure to download raw data to GEDmatch. I am not sure that you could download the raw data of a transfer from Family Finder.

Someone correct if I am wrong, but I think GEDmatch continued to use Build36 with Family Finder even after Build37 came along. I think you can use either (just make sure it is a concatenated file), but GEDmatch converts Build37 back to Build36. I usually use Build36 for that reason.

Jack
    Ok thanks for assistance I was not sure I was able to download FTDNA from autosomal transfer, the original raw data was Ancestry DNA I had downloaded it back in 2016 version.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Modernancientdna For This Useful Post:

C J Wyatt III (03-12-2018)

Registered Users
    Sex

You still will get close matches OK, but the new chips from 23andMe and LivingDNA use something called imputation to make up data points instead of actually testing them. GEDmatch will not allow those kits in its regular database. It has come up with a new program called GEDmatch Genesis for the kits which use imputation.

Jack
    GEDmatch Genesis is not using imputation, just comparing whatever SNPs are common to both files. They adjust the SNP threshold when the overlap is low, which is sensible to some degree. But below some level, Genesis ends up reporting too many segments. My personal rule of thumb is to look for matches where the longest segment is at least 20 cM.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ann Turner For This Useful Post:

C J Wyatt III (03-13-2018), rothaer (03-13-2018)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    German
    Y-DNA
    R1b (> R-CTS4528)
    mtDNA
    U5b2b

Germany Imperial
    Quote Originally Posted by Ann Turner View Post
    GEDmatch Genesis is not using imputation, just comparing whatever SNPs are common to both files. They adjust the SNP threshold when the overlap is low, which is sensible to some degree. But below some level, Genesis ends up reporting too many segments. My personal rule of thumb is to look for matches where the longest segment is at least 20 cM.
    Or there is shown an overlap of more than 300.000 SNPs with the match.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234