Ethnicity
    Northwestern European
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1b L21>DF13
    mtDNA (M)
    K1

France Belgium Flanders Wallonia Occitania France Bretagne

Epicanthic fold in North Western European

I've observed many times around me that some North Western Europeans have what's look like epicanthic gold (as my father and his grandmother, from a picture).
    In Flanders is quite common (as in other parts of Low Countries) and as in some parts of Germany. I've found that it is also quite common in Scandinavia.

Do other people have seen the same?

2. The Following User Says Thank You to ffoucart For This Useful Post:

JohnHowellsTyrfro (03-13-2018)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Western European
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1b-DF27>ZZ12>ZZ39
    mtDNA (M)
    K1a4a1

Italy 1861-1946 France-Ile-de-France Lorraine
    A legacy of the late Sarmatians in Western Europe (4th century AD)?

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Camulogène Rix For This Useful Post:

dodona (11-19-2018),  Helgenes50 (03-12-2018)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Pashtun
    Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA (P)
    R-Z93
    mtDNA (M)
    U2c1

United States of America Pashtunistan Afghanistan Greater Khorasan Azad Baluchistan Tajikistan
    I've seen a lot of Americans of Northwest European ancestry and don't recall noticing them ever having epicanthic folds. The eyes of Europeans tend to be fairly small (when compared to North Africans, West Asians, and South Asians) so maybe this can sometimes make their eyes superficially resemble the eyes of Far Easterners.

Are you sure you're not confusing the epicanthic fold with hooded eyes? I don't think hooded eyes among Northwest Europeans is common, but a minority can have it. However, I can't imagine a Northwest European with epicanthic folds (except for possibly some rare exceptions).

Gold Class Member
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Irish Canadian
    Nationality
    Canada
    Y-DNA (P)
    L513->Z23516>BY11142
    mtDNA (M)
    H1bd

Canada Ireland Scotland England Ireland County Tipperary Canada Old Newfoundland
    I too have seen that in 'European' types before
    ... I always thought some scandinavians have it, from some Sammy or other ancient high north indigenous influence? (like inuit or high north cree types in Canada who definitely have some of it)

all just guess work on my part-I think I've seen 'Russian' type folks with that look-again, its mostly pro hockey players I am familiar with so while from that part of the world, I dont know for sure where they are from)

Mike
    Furthest Y line=Patrick Whealen 1816-1874, b.Tipperary Co. Ire. d. Kincardine Ont.

Y-DNA-RL21-L513-Z23516-BY11142('lost Irish 'C' boys?')

FTDNA=P312+ P25+ M343+ M269+ M207+ M173+ L513+ U198- U152- U106- SRY2627- P66- P107- M73- M65- M37- M222- M18- M160- M153- M126- L705- L577- L193- L159.2- L1333-
    Big-Y=Z23516+
    23&me=L21+
    E.A.= S21-, S26-, S28-, S29-, S68-
    Geno 2 (N.G.P.) H1bd+

Whalen/Phelan DNA Surname Project
    Hidden Content

7. The Following User Says Thank You to MikeWhalen For This Useful Post:

JohnHowellsTyrfro (03-13-2018)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Northwestern European
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1b L21>DF13
    mtDNA (M)
    K1

Quote Originally Posted by Mingle View Post
    Are you sure you're not confusing the epicanthic fold with hooded eyes? I don't think hooded eyes among Northwest Europeans is common, but a minority can have it. However, I can't imagine a Northwest European with epicanthic folds (except for possibly some rare exceptions).
    As examples, look at Renée Zellweger (before her surgery), Julia Stiles or Björk.

This is quite common.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to ffoucart For This Useful Post:

Cascio (03-18-2018)

Registered Users

Afghanistan Jammu and Kashmir United States of America Canada
    The vast majority of Europeans do not have epicanthic eye folds, you are confusing it with borealization. They do have similarities but epicanthic eye folds cover the middle part of the eye, and part or all of the caruncle, thats quite rare to see in any European but is typical of East Asians. Having borealization on the upper eye lid is not the same as epicanthic eye folds.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to pegasus For This Useful Post:

Mingle (03-12-2018)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Northwestern European
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1b L21>DF13
    mtDNA (M)
    K1

Epicanthic fold means: the upper skin fold covering the inner corner of the eye. I don't see how I could make a confusion with borealization.

By the way, I never said that Epicanthic Fold was frequent, but I said it is common. So neither frequent, nor rare. And in any case, rare in Southern Europe.
    It can be found at low level in Northern and Eastern Europeans. Perhaps between 1 and 3% on the overall population in Flanders. So, not a rarity, but clearly not frequent.
    Last edited by ffoucart; 03-12-2018 at 07:02 AM.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ffoucart For This Useful Post:

Cascio (03-18-2018),  SpinosaurusN3H1 (05-20-2018)

Gold Class Member
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    NW European
    Y-DNA (P)
    I-L813 >Y36690

Normandie Sweden France Bretagne
    Quote Originally Posted by ffoucart View Post
    Epicanthic fold means: the upper skin fold covering the inner corner of the eye. I don't see how I could make a confusion with borealization.

By the way, I never said that Epicanthic Fold was frequent, but I said it is common. So neither frequent, nor rare. And in any case, rare in Southern Europe.
    It can be found at low level in Northern and Eastern Europeans. Perhaps between 1 and 3% on the overall population in Flanders. So, not a rarity, but clearly not frequent.
    I have observed it among the Bretons and this is the case for one of my cousins, himself half of this origin (Lorient)
    What is funny, the new generation is half Chinese
    Last edited by Helgenes50; 03-12-2018 at 07:07 AM.
    My results from David Wesolowski's Ancestry Detective Service:

West British (Britonic?) 42.3%
    Continental Northern and Eastern European 36.6%
    Central French 21.1%

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Pashtun
    Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA (P)
    R-Z93
    mtDNA (M)
    U2c1

United States of America Pashtunistan Afghanistan Greater Khorasan Azad Baluchistan Tajikistan
    Quote Originally Posted by ffoucart View Post
    As examples, look at Renée Zellweger (before her surgery), Julia Stiles or Björk.

This is quite common.
    I've heard of Renée and Björk, but not the other one. Besides these three famous examples, I don't think it will be be easy to find more.

It could occur in a significant minority of Scandinavians (although I doubt even that since their sports teams don't seem to have anyone with epicanthic folds), but that shouldn't be applied to Northwest Europeans as a whole then. Northwest Europe also includes West Germanic and Celtic countries. Americans descended from people of those countries never have it. If they do, it'll be one in a million. Or it's possible I mever paid attention to it. Can't comment much on Scandinavia though.

But are you sure you aren't confusing epicanthic folds with hooded eyes or upturned eyes?
    Last edited by Mingle; 03-12-2018 at 05:34 PM.

Registered Users
    Ethnicity
    Pred.Anglo-Saxon + Briton
    Nationality
    Canadian
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1b S21184, BY50830+
    mtDNA (M)
    U4b1a2 - FGS
    Y-DNA (M)
    ?
    mtDNA (P)
    I2

Canada England Wales Netherlands France Cornwall
    I think he probably means hooded eyes, because a heavy brow, where the eyelid is completely covered, is especially common among NW European men and to a lesser extent women. Although, actor Isaac Hempstead Wright (Brandon Stark) looks like he might have something a little exotic going on there.
    Last edited by ADW_1981; 03-12-2018 at 05:43 PM.
    YDNA: R1b-BY50830 (1800's Stepney, London(Bethnal Green), UK George Wood b. 1782 English <-> Bavarian cluster
    maternal-grandfather YDNA: prob. I1 Gurr, George 1843, Feversham, Kent, England.
    maternal-grandmother YDNA: R1b-P311+ Beech, John Richard b. 1780, Lewes, England
    maternal-ggrandfather YDNA R1b-U106 Thomas, Edward b 1854, Sittingbourne, Kent
    paternal-ggf YDNA: R1b-L48. Gould, John Somerset England 1800s.
    paternal-ggf YDNA: R1b-L48. Scott, William Hamilton mdka Ireland(?) < 1800s

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast