Page 17 of 23 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 ... LastLast

Thread: Epicanthic fold in North Western European

Registered Users
    Sex

Quote Originally Posted by Riverman View Post
    Only slightly but clearly so going after this image alone. Do you have other people with eye folds in the family? Stronger/weaker?
    I know my grandpa had some eyelid shabang, but it more of the nordic fold one, my mum has the same as my grandpa but I can't find anyone with the same eyefolds as me. I don't know any of my maternal great grandparents so I don't know if it's from them but I know we got some tatar so, maybe? But I think it could be just me being underdeveloped as a baby or something.

Registered Users
    Sex

Quote Originally Posted by oluniaczek5 View Post
    I know my grandpa had some eyelid shabang, but it more of the nordic fold one, my mum has the same as my grandpa but I can't find anyone with the same eyefolds as me. I don't know any of my maternal great grandparents so I don't know if it's from them but I know we got some tatar so, maybe? But I think it could be just me being underdeveloped as a baby or something.
    There are indeed more possibilities.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Riverman For This Useful Post:

BananaPhoneica (12-08-2020)

Registered Users
    Sex

United Nations African Union
    What i also noticed is that some Cushites like Somalis have Epicanthic fold , probably occurs in lower frequency than in Northern Europeans.

The former Puntland President Abdirahman Mohamud Farole

Today its more prevelant amongst Khoisan and East Asians.

The San are a much smaller people, with lighter skin, more tightly curled hair and thicker layer of skin over the eyes - the so called epicanthic fold that also characterizes people from east Asia. It is this latter feature which has led some researchers to suggest that the epicanthic fold is an ancestral characteristic of our species, and was simply lost in western Eurasians and Bantu populations. The Journey of Man: A Genetic Odyssey

I think the oldest human populationSan people lend evidence to how this trait is an ancient human ancestral trait that some groups simply retained. I think this is probably the best explanation. The evolutionary explanations for it don't add up.

The higher prevelance in Mongoloids/East Asians and Khoisans could be due to founder effect. @It fits with the explanation Riverman gave on the other page.
    Last edited by Mirix; 12-09-2020 at 07:45 PM.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Mirix For This Useful Post:

Riverman (12-09-2020)

Banned
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    1/2 Italian, 1/2 Armenian
    Nationality
    USA
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1b-U152
    mtDNA (M)
    H5a

Quote Originally Posted by Mirix View Post
    What i also noticed is that some Cushites like Somalis have Epicanthic fold , probably occurs in lower frequency than in Northern Europeans.

The former Puntland President Abdirahman Mohamud Farole

Today its more prevelant amongst Khoisan and East Asians.

The San are a much smaller people, with lighter skin, more tightly curled hair and thicker layer of skin over the eyes - the so called epicanthic fold that also characterizes people from east Asia. It is this latter feature which has led some researchers to suggest that the epicanthic fold is an ancestral characteristic of our species, and was simply lost in western Eurasians and Bantu populations. The Journey of Man: A Genetic Odyssey

I think the oldest human populationSan people lend evidence to how this trait is an ancient human ancestral trait that some groups simply retained. I think this is probably the best explanation. The evolutionary explanations for it don't add up.

The higher prevelance in Mongoloids/East Asians and Khoisans could be due to founder effect. @It fits with the explanation Riverman gave on the other page.

Possible. What do you think of hooded eyes? To me that seems like a result of having prominent brow ridges common among most hunter gatherers.

But also in Northern Europeans couldn't it could be a result of EDAR and actual East Eurasian admixture?

Registered Users
    Sex

United Nations African Union
    Quote Originally Posted by davit View Post
    Possible. What do you think of hooded eyes? To me that seems like a result of having prominent brow ridges common among most hunter gatherers.

But also in Northern Europeans couldn't it could be a result of EDAR and actual East Eurasian admixture?
    I am not really sure do you have any papers on it? Could very well be a carry on trait from ancient hunter gatherers. Perhaps the prominence of it has to do with test levels just like the prominence of brow ridges has to do with test levels. Modern Humans have lower test levels than our ancient human ancesters Did Lower Testosterone Make The Modern Man? and they had more prominent brow ridges.

Quote Originally Posted by davit View Post

I had never given it much thought but hooded eyes are so common all throughout Europe. I never had a name for it. I am Armenian and my dad's side have hooded eyes. My brother has the prominent bridge brow as well. It's found in countries where there are no East Eurasian admixtures. Many that do have hooded eyes can commonly have very prominent brow bridges, which I have never seen it in other parts of the world. It's very common in Northern and Western Europeans. It's very possible that hooded eyes, that come with prominent brow bridges, were passed on from ancient hunter gatherers. It's also found in the Middle East. They are just one of those ancient traits.
    Last edited by Danna89; 01-02-2021 at 12:11 AM.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Danna89 For This Useful Post:

davit (01-02-2021),  Riverman (01-05-2021)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    English
    Nationality
    English
    Y-DNA (P)
    H2a1~ M9313+
    mtDNA (M)
    H1c3
    Y-DNA (M)
    I1a1b1a1~ L22, P109.

England
    I have slightly hooded eyes, but I think slight hooded eyes are pretty common in North West Europe. I think its a protection from sunlight. The brighter the sunlight the more I frown thereby increasing my eye cover and protection. Attachment 43304
    Last edited by Paul333; 02-14-2021 at 05:23 PM.

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    English
    Nationality
    English
    Y-DNA (P)
    H2a1~ M9313+
    mtDNA (M)
    H1c3
    Y-DNA (M)
    I1a1b1a1~ L22, P109.

England
    Double post
    Last edited by Paul333; 02-14-2021 at 05:22 PM. Reason: double post

Registered Users
    Sex

Quote Originally Posted by Paul333 View Post
    I have slightly hooded eyes, but I think slight hooded eyes are pretty common in North West Europe. I think its a protection from sunlight. The brighter the sunlight the more I frown thereby increasing my eye cover and protection. Attachment 43304
    But that's not really the subject here. It is rather about inner folds between the hood and the nose. That shouldn't be confused with it.

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    English
    Nationality
    English
    Y-DNA (P)
    H2a1~ M9313+
    mtDNA (M)
    H1c3
    Y-DNA (M)
    I1a1b1a1~ L22, P109.

England
    Quote Originally Posted by rikvdb View Post
    But that's not really the subject here. It is rather about inner folds between the hood and the nose. That shouldn't be confused with it.
    Ok Sorry

Page 17 of 23 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 ... LastLast