Thread: Me vs. Some South Asian People

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    South Asian
    Nationality
    USA

United States of America
    From what I gather, I assume you're an American of Pakistan descent (ie. Overseas Pakistanis)? Well let me just say this, and don't take this offensively, but most "brown people" living in the West (particularly the USA I've noticed) seem to be suffering from mass confusion. I've spent some time in the United States and I can easily say they're one of the most confused immigrant groups I've come across...particularly the 1st generation American South Asians who have isolated themselves in no mans land. When I mean no mans land, I mean to say they neither adopt American culture fully and they neither adopt the culture of their parents background/homeland, and hence they get stuck in what I call no mans land. It's within this "no mans land" that "Desi American culture" formed. It's probably one of the most lamest, confused cultures I've ever seen in America.

People within this "American Desi culture" have major trouble differentiating nationality, ethnicity and religion from one another. They also assume that all South Asians are brown, speak "hindi" and there is no difference between any ethnic groups of Pakistan, India, Sri Lanka and Bangladesh. I know exactly what you're referring to when you hear "trying to be white." That's just your typical Desi American making a buffoon of him or herself.
    That's not exactly what I was saying. To your comment, "that's just your typical desi american making a buffoon of him or herself."

I think what you're referring to is when desi people may call other desis "white washed," for listening to a certain type of music, or dressing a certain way, or whatever.

My post had nothing at all to do with that. There's a saying, "the mind only sees what its prepared to see." Your response was sort of prepared for a different conversation. Not this conversation though.

My "you're trying to be white," is due to me sharing knowledge on South Asian ancestry and getting a mixed response from the elder South Asians, but I believe perhaps I'm wrong it may not be limited to elders but just the topic being niche and only a handful of us knowing the genetic history of South Asians.
    Last edited by TJRocks760; 03-21-2018 at 03:49 AM.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TJRocks760 For This Useful Post:

parasar (03-23-2018), redifflal (03-21-2018)

Banned
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Pashton
    Nationality
    Pakistani

Pakistan Afghanistan Azad Kashmir
    Quote Originally Posted by pegasus View Post
    I notice a lot of your posts are too much of a social commentary but this is not a forum for that, like that Hindi/Urdu thread came off as a bit creepy and way off tangent. Being objective is far better than pouring your own biases. Thats great your passionate on issues, but that stuff is fine on Anthroscape or the Pak defense forum not here.
    What's exactly wrong with what I said? Truth sometimes hurt. Most of you people live in America and talk like you're actually Pakistani or Indian.

Talk about a confused group of people. This entire subforum looks weird to me to be honest.

Banned
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Pashton
    Nationality
    Pakistani

Pakistan Afghanistan Azad Kashmir
    Quote Originally Posted by Censored View Post
    Let's not pretend that the older generation is much better. Sure they know the difference between Tamils and Bengalis and low and upper castes but they also make ridiculous erroneous statements as well. Just browsing many sites online, it seems many so called ABCDs know about our partial ancestral south Indian/aboriginal roots than those straight from India.

Also, as someone born and raised in the US, I can understand why nobody in my generation gives a shit about inter South Asian ethnic differences. There are too few of us and America is nowhere near familiar enough with our culture for it to really be relevant. Growing up, it was a pain in the ass trying to convince people that I wasn't Arab even though I look nothing like one, so them associating me with anything in South Asia is good enough. We just do not have the luxury of flaunting ethnic differences which are no longer even relevant to us.

Also, most Indian/Pakistani parents here don't even try to educate their children about any of this. 90% of everything I learned about South Asia was not from my parents but from the internet as I have a general interest in anthropology(as well as other obscure topics). I never once heard my family talk about the caste system-I only learned it in a middle school class.
    Nice rebuttal. I agree with your points.

Registered Users

Quote Originally Posted by Anjuman-i Taraqqi-i Urdu View Post
    What's exactly wrong with what I said? Truth sometimes hurt. Most of you people live in America and talk like you're actually Pakistani or Indian.

Talk about a confused group of people. This entire subforum looks weird to me to be honest.
    I personally could care less what you have to say but thus far all I have seen is unhinged rants and defensive responses. As I mentioned before this is not the platform for that, you can go to another forum for that. If its weird you can leave.

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Punjabi
    Nationality
    Canadian
    Y-DNA
    R-M417
    mtDNA
    M3a2

India Canada Azad Baluchistan Sikh Empire India Punjab Nishan Sahib
    A short lived troll. Rest in pepperoni.
    Deg Teg Fateh - Victory to Charity and Arms

7. The Following User Says Thank You to MonkeyDLuffy For This Useful Post:

parasar (03-23-2018)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Indian
    Nationality
    British
    Y-DNA
    O

India Pakistan United Kingdom
    Quote Originally Posted by pegasus View Post
    They are too late for that. Sintashta and Androvono definitely fall in the Iranic group, along with Arkhaim. They were driven out of the Steppe by the Iranics. Iranic and Indo Aryan split occurred in the Samara region, not in the Kazakh Steppe or BMAC , as I previously thought. Also these people were in the Swat/KPK areas by 1900-1800 BC.

BMAC does seem quite unique to me in terms of what they left behind to be honest, this is a bronze seal stamp used by them:

BMAC.jpg

To me, the Andronovo culture does seem to resemble the later Luristan culture (which was Iranic as far as I know).I am not sure if that is a mere coincidence or not (has any Luristani remains been found?).
    Last edited by deuterium_1; 03-21-2018 at 06:06 PM.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to deuterium_1 For This Useful Post:

pegasus (03-23-2018)

Registered Users

Quote Originally Posted by deuterium_1 View Post
    BMAC does seem quite unique to me in terms of what they left behind to be honest, this is a bronze seal stamp used by them:

BMAC.jpg

To me, the Andronovo culture does seem to resemble the later Luristan culture (which was Iranic as far as I know).I am not sure if that is a mere coincidence or not (has any Luristani remains been found?).
    I wish we knew what language they spoke and their genomes. It would be interesting to know how much Keltminar ancestry they have.

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910