Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: R-L48 on 23andMe ... Meaning?

Sex
    Omitted

R-L48 on 23andMe ... Meaning?

Hi all,

Sorry, newb here. I assume R-L48 is referred to using an alternative nomenclature that I havent yet found, but Im just curious how to interpret it, and/or find the appropriate sub-forum.... Thoughts?

PS Oddy, Im full Ashkenazi Jewish

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Ashkenazi + German/Slavic
    Nationality
    'murican
    Y-DNA (P)
    E-L791/792
    mtDNA (M)
    V32a

United States of America Belarus Poland Germany Austrian Empire Czech Republic
    R-L48 is one of those subclades of R-U106, which is one of those big "Germanic" subclades. I would assume that in your case, it was from a medieval Germanic person that married a Jew, or from a Longobard who contributed to a Northern Italian ancestor's genome. There is evidence for a bit of medieval Western/Central European admixture in many Ashkenazi Jews (my parents and I both score fairly high "French" in Eurogenes k36, for instance). I know that there are some I2a2a2 subclades among Ashkenazi Jews, as well, which is also a "Germanic" marker.

That's all I know about that, though, and I leave the table open to people who are more familiar with deep R1b clades. There is definitely a thead for R-L48 in this section.
    Last edited by Eihwaz; 03-16-2018 at 02:11 AM.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Eihwaz For This Useful Post:

Benlevi (03-17-2018)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Celto-Germani/Norse-Gael
    Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA (P)
    U106DF98KingsCluster
    mtDNA (M)
    T2b2bIrish/Scan
    Y-DNA (M)
    R-Y5061 O'Duibhir
    mtDNA (P)
    German or Isles

Ireland Scotland Germany Imperial Norway England Northern Ireland
    Quote Originally Posted by Benlevi View Post
    Hi all,

Sorry, newb here. I assume R-L48 is referred to using an alternative nomenclature that I haven’t yet found, but I’m just curious how to interpret it, and/or find the appropriate sub-forum.... Thoughts?

PS Oddy, I’m full Ashkenazi Jewish
    If you are U106 and L48 make sure to join the U106 DNA project at FTDNA and also the U106 yahoo group... U106 has several sub groups with overall distributions... L48 is one of the more Northern/Germanic groups (as it's been found in two Longobard men at Szolad cemetery), but Z156 is group under U106 is a more "Southern" and more common along the Rhine, Low Countries, and the Isles so far... Z156 (and several SNPs downstream of Z156) was found in the bronze age remains in the Unetice culture from an EBA cemetery near Prague. Unetice eventually became Tumulus and then Urnfield...
    Y-DNA: 4th GGF Johann Adam Weber/Weaver born 1784 in Pennsylvania. Sergeant, US 17th Inf, War of 1812: R1b-U106-DF98-S1911-S1894/S1900-S4004... FGC14817 shared with 6drif-3 - one of the "Headless" Roman Gladiator/Soldiers! Father Captain Martin Weber b. 1739 in Hesse(?), Germany, d. 1804 Dauphin, PA.

mtDNA: 3rd GGM Bridget O'Danagher b. 1843 Lorrha/Dorrha, Ireland - T2b2b - Pagan Icelander SSG-A3 (grave 4) - Slastair in Eyjafjararssla, North Iceland is T2b2b.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bollox79 For This Useful Post:

Benlevi (03-17-2018),  timberwolf (03-16-2018)

Gold Class Member
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    German
    Nationality
    Galactic Empire
    Y-DNA (P)
    R-Z324, Z5055, L188+
    mtDNA (M)
    H5

The R-U106 project is at https://www.familytreedna.com/groups...out/background The only known Jewish cluster present under R-L48 is represented by http://mykindred.com/L47x/ The Ivanhoe Cluster. The next expected sale day at FTDNA will be DNA Day. Contact the project admins for advice on the best options for testing and refining your haplogroup to see what the situation is with respect to your Jewish background. The project does utilize whole genome results from other firms such as FullGenomes or YSEQ.NET if you want to find out everything in one test.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Cofgene For This Useful Post:

Benlevi (03-17-2018)

Sex
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1b-U106-L45
    mtDNA (M)
    K2b1a

United States of America Germany Imperial England North of England Netherlands Ireland Munster
    Quote Originally Posted by Benlevi View Post
    PS Oddy, Im full Ashkenazi Jewish
    There's a whole group of Jewish U106s under L47, IIRC. Ivanhoe cluster, as it's called. I know you're a step before that (L48), but it might interest you.
    Ancestry - Dutch (Groningen), English (West Yorkshire), German (Vorderpfalz), Irish (Mumhan)

FTDNA - West & Central Europe 58%, British Isles 33%, Scandinavia 8%
    23andme - French & German 44%, British & Irish 39%, Broadly Northwestern European 16%, Southern European 1%
    DNA.Land - Northwest European 77%, North Slavic 9%, South/Central European 8%, Ambiguous 6%
    MyHeritage - English 55%, Scandinavian 34%, Greek 6%, Italian 5%

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Athiudisc For This Useful Post:

Benlevi (03-17-2018)

Sex
    Omitted

Quote Originally Posted by Eihwaz View Post
    There is definitely a thead for R-L48 in this section.
    Interesting! Please excuse my ignorance, but do you know how I would go about finding it here on the forum? Im new and dont seem so adept at successfully searching and navigating threads, yet.

Sex
    Omitted

Quote Originally Posted by Bollox79 View Post
    If you are U106 and L48 make sure to join the U106 DNA project at FTDNA
    OK, thanks for the tip. Can I do this even though I got my results from 23andMe, not FTDNA? Apologies for my ignorance.

Quote Originally Posted by Bollox79 View Post
    L48 is one of the more Northern/Germanic groups (as it's been found in two Longobard men at Szolad cemetery), but Z156 is group under U106 is a more "Southern" and more common along the Rhine, Low Countries, and the Isles so far...
    Interesting. Whats the relationship between Z156 and L48 (if any)?

Sex
    Omitted

R-L48 is one of those subclades of R-U106, which is one of those big "Germanic" subclades.
    I see... do you have any references for this where I could do some further reading?

I would assume that in your case, it was from a medieval Germanic person that married a Jew
    Given that we’re supposedly “Levis,” my (naive) assumption would be that it was the product of one of numerous rapes said to have occurred during my ancestors’ time spent in medieval Central Europe.. or, alternatively, during later years in Poland/Ukraine (eg Khmelnytskyi massacres). That said, my autosomal DNA is very much Ashkenazi Jewish, and my paternal side is very phenotypically Jewish, so my guess is that the *ahem* “marriage” (ie likely extramarital gene exchange) occurred in the relatively distant past.

...or from a Longobard who contributed to a Northern Italian ancestor's genome.
    Certainly seems possible, yes.

Sex
    Omitted

Quote Originally Posted by Cofgene View Post
    The R-U106 project is at (URL omitted). The only known Jewish cluster present under R-L48 is represented by (URL omitted), The Ivanhoe Cluster. The next expected sale day at FTDNA will be DNA Day. Contact the project admins for advice on the best options for testing and refining your haplogroup to see what the situation is with respect to your Jewish background. The project does utilize whole genome results from other firms such as FullGenomes or YSEQ [dot] NET if you want to find out everything in one test.
    Thanks for this. Please excuse my ignorance, but I’m not entirely sure what it is you’re referencing, there. All I’ve managed to do so far is have my sample sequenced (perhaps crudely?) using 23andMe, and then also ran that 23andMe-output kit through various GedMatch algorithms to see what turns up (always very much Ashkenazi Jewish).

Is there any chance that my true Y chromosome marker is indeed actually downstream from R-L48 (eg L47x, etc.), or would that have shown up in the 23andMe results...?

Sex
    Omitted

Quote Originally Posted by Athiudisc View Post
    There's a whole group of Jewish U106s under L47, IIRC. Ivanhoe cluster, as it's called. I know you're a step before that (L48), but it might interest you.
    That is indeed interesting, thank you. Bizarrely, Ivanhoe seems to be a Sephardic rather than Ashkenazi lineage, which is surprising. That said, I don’t know if there’s even a possibility I fall within that cluster, as all 23andMe said was “R-L48.” I don’t know if they lack the tools for identifying further sub-clade refinement (if I phrased that right), or if I’m simply “only” L48, full stop.

Any ideas?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast