Registered Users
    Ethnicity
    Dinaric
    Y-DNA (P)
    I-Y7627
    mtDNA (M)
    H5c

Bosnia and Herzegovina
    At this point it's still all guess work, we don't really know. And who knows if we will ever really find out. You'd think the Scandinavians would be more interested in this particular subject but I haven't seen one paper or study released yet where they specifically try to figure out the I1 question.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to oz For This Useful Post:

JonikW (06-06-2020)

Sex
    Ethnicity
    Isles Celto-Germanic
    Nationality
    British
    Y-DNA (P)
    I1 Z140+ A21912+
    mtDNA (M)
    V
    Y-DNA (M)
    R1b L21+ L371+
    mtDNA (P)
    J1c2l

Wales England Cornwall Scotland Ireland Normandie
    Quote Originally Posted by oz View Post
    At this point it's still all guess work, we don't really know. And who knows if we will ever really find out. You'd think the Scandinavians would be more interested in this particular subject but I haven't seen one paper or study released yet where they specifically try to figure out the I1 question.
    I was hoping that Eske Willerslev would have done a really good and broad Danish/Scandinavian study by now given that he's Danish, partly based in Copenhagen and at the forefront of aDNA. What I'd love to see is a study ranging from the Nordic Bronze to Iron Age with loads of quality I1 samples. Even an FTDNA Big Y advertising campaign in Scandinavia would suit me right now.
    Living DNA's former Cautious mode:
    Wales-related ancestry: 86.8%
    Cornwall: 8%
    North England-related ancestry: 5.2%
    Y line: Peak District, England. Big Y match: Scania, Sweden; TMRCA 1,100 ybp (YFull);
    mtDNA: traces to Glamorgan, Wales
    Mother's Y: traces to Llanvair Discoed, Wales

4. The Following User Says Thank You to JonikW For This Useful Post:

oz (06-06-2020)

Registered Users
    Ethnicity
    Dinaric
    Y-DNA (P)
    I-Y7627
    mtDNA (M)
    H5c

Bosnia and Herzegovina
    Quote Originally Posted by JonikW View Post
    I was hoping that Eske Willerslev would have done a really good and broad Danish/Scandinavian study by now given that he's Danish, partly based in Copenhagen and at the forefront of aDNA. What I'd love to see is a study ranging from the Nordic Bronze to Iron Age with loads of quality I1 samples. Even an FTDNA Big Y advertising campaign in Scandinavia would suit me right now.
    On second thought though, Scandinavias aren't really an exception with the lack of geeking out interest over these haplogroups. No one really is, even in this a academia Adna world. All they really do is present the data of the uniparentals (and sometimes not the most accurately) but they don't release some special studies dedicated completely to them.
    Why that is, I'm not really sure. Perhaps they just don't think they're really that important. But in my opinion they are key in tracing the migrations if anything and can provide clues.
    But it makes me wonder if our male egos overestimate the importance of the Y haplogroup.

Nevertheless I still find it interesting and would love to trace the history and migration of my distant male ancestors. It would just be nice to know that, regardless of how relevant or irrelevant it might be.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to oz For This Useful Post:

JonikW (06-06-2020)

Registered Users
    Ethnicity
    Dinaric
    Y-DNA (P)
    I-Y7627
    mtDNA (M)
    H5c

Bosnia and Herzegovina
    And speaking of that I'm waiting for my results on ftdna from the PR683 snp pack that I ordered. Not expecting much or too deep of a terminal snp but it should at least assign me to some subclades that have a tmrca at least as young as 2500 ybp on Yfull. One of the subclades the Y37939 looks like the most common Z63 in Finland, while the sibling branch Y7627 is found in Iceland and Norway. Although there's not that many testers either unfortunately, but if I'm not mistaken with the limited information I've found, the clades under Y6228 seem to be the most common type of Z63 in the Nordic countries and Central and East Europe.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to oz For This Useful Post:

JonikW (06-06-2020)

Registered Users
    Sex

On second thought though, Scandinavias aren't really an exception with the lack of geeking out interest over these haplogroups. No one really is, even in this a academia Adna world. All they really do is present the data of the uniparentals (and sometimes not the most accurately) but they don't release some special studies dedicated completely to them.
    Why that is, I'm not really sure. Perhaps they just don't think they're really that important. But in my opinion they are key in tracing the migrations if anything and can provide clues.
    But it makes me wonder if our male egos overestimate the importance of the Y haplogroup.

Nevertheless I still find it interesting and would love to trace the history and migration of my distant male ancestors. It would just be nice to know that, regardless of how relevant or irrelevant it might be.
    Its because it tells you throughout human history male clans, patriarchal and patrilinear, were the primary agents for the spread of cultures and genes. They consider it, most of the time, when it seems necessary for the bigger picture, but they don't make it an important part of their work and writings because of that. Its not part of the narrative they want to sell to the public and the media is ready to pick up in a positive or even just neutral way. If they do, it might be in a rather negative and biased way ("bad patriarchy, bad guys").

Besides autosomal DNA is the safer way to prove close relationships and migrations, as well as genetic frequency changes, which is the main interest of the current research.
    Last edited by Riverman; 06-07-2020 at 01:53 PM.

Sex

he best is texting him via mail I think.

Sex
    Ethnicity
    Isles Celto-Germanic
    Nationality
    British
    Y-DNA (P)
    I1 Z140+ A21912+
    mtDNA (M)
    V
    Y-DNA (M)
    R1b L21+ L371+
    mtDNA (P)
    J1c2l

Wales England Cornwall Scotland Ireland Normandie
    In case you guys miss this in the ancient DNA discussion section, courtesy of RCO. Max Planck are recruiting a Research Group Leader. This is from the job description:

"This project aims to study the population shifts related to cultures such as Pannonians, Romans, Goths, Huns, Longobards, Gepids, Avars, Bulgars, Slavs and Franks in the Carpathian Basin in 400-900 CE. HistoGenes will analyse ~6,000 ancient human samples from this region with cutting edge scientific methods and contextualize the interpretation of these data in their archaeological and historical setting."

That's a heck of a lot of samples... I look forward to eventually seeing Goth, Longobard, Gepid and Frank Y chromosome results in particular. Should be a fair bit of I1 there.
    Living DNA's former Cautious mode:
    Wales-related ancestry: 86.8%
    Cornwall: 8%
    North England-related ancestry: 5.2%
    Y line: Peak District, England. Big Y match: Scania, Sweden; TMRCA 1,100 ybp (YFull);
    mtDNA: traces to Glamorgan, Wales
    Mother's Y: traces to Llanvair Discoed, Wales

12. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to JonikW For This Useful Post:

deadly77 (06-25-2020),  JMcB (06-25-2020),  mwauthy (06-26-2020),  oz (06-25-2020),  Riverman (06-30-2020),  Ruderico (06-25-2020),  spruithean (06-25-2020)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Nationality
    Canadian

Canada Netherlands United Kingdom Cornwall Ireland France
    In case you guys miss this in the ancient DNA discussion section, courtesy of RCO. Max Planck are recruiting a Research Group Leader. This is from the job description:

"This project aims to study the population shifts related to cultures such as Pannonians, Romans, Goths, Huns, Longobards, Gepids, Avars, Bulgars, Slavs and Franks in the Carpathian Basin in 400-900 CE. HistoGenes will analyse ~6,000 ancient human samples from this region with cutting edge scientific methods and contextualize the interpretation of these data in their archaeological and historical setting."

That's a heck of a lot of samples... I look forward to eventually seeing Goth, Longobard, Gepid and Frank Y chromosome results in particular. Should be a fair bit of I1 there.
    Really looking forward to seeing aDNA from Gepids. Earlier posts in this thread discuss some I1 among Gepids in Serbia IIRC.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to spruithean For This Useful Post:

deadly77 (06-25-2020)

Registered Users
    Ethnicity
    Dinaric
    Y-DNA (P)
    I-Y7627
    mtDNA (M)
    H5c

Bosnia and Herzegovina

Holy shit! How long will that take? Is it gonna be published all as one study or multiple different papers over an x amount of years?
    6,000 samples all from the Carpathian Basin 400-900 ad? That would be as big of an Adna project as we'll ever see. Almost sounds too promising and too good to be true.

Registered Users
    Sex
    Nationality
    Canadian

Canada Netherlands United Kingdom Cornwall Ireland France
    Holy shit! How long will that take? Is it gonna be published all as one study or multiple different papers over an x amount of years?
    6,000 samples all from the Carpathian Basin 400-900 ad? That would be as big of an Adna project as we'll ever see. Almost sounds too promising and too good to be true.
    Yeah, here's hoping something doesn't come up that prevents this from being completed...

17. The Following User Says Thank You to spruithean For This Useful Post:

oz (06-30-2020)

Page 73 of 73 FirstFirst ... 2363717273