Nationality
    British
    Y-DNA (P)
    J2 (J-l25)
    mtDNA (M)
    H1 (H1bs)

England Scotland United Kingdom

Questions from a newbie

How far back in terms of generations does the Y DNA and other tests go?

And if my subgroup is the same as someone else, does that mean we share a gr gr gr gr grandfather somewhere down the line?

Living Dna seem to be in the process of adding more regions, will our results be updated or will we have to take the test again?

Registered Users
    Sex
    Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA (P)
    E-V13
    mtDNA (M)
    H24a1

Ireland Germany Palatinate Cornwall Germany Bayern Switzerland Netherlands
    Hard question to answer. Y DNA goes back to the most recent mutation the test identifies which means for some people its a couple thousand years and for others its tens of thousands. Typically it would say in the description how far back your particular subclade comes from. You are related to a common ancestor with those that share your haplogroup, but the chances of being able to pinpoint your connection, or even having shared autosomal DNA is very slim.

As far as new regions--yes. The objective of living DNA is to continuously grow their database and fine tune results. The Irish DNA project will be out this year. They've also worked on a Scottish project which ideally would come out at the same time as the Irish update but from what I've read they have not yet specified. The German project is fairly new so I wouldn't hold your breath there. I also know they're starting up a Swedish project and exploring various projects with Australian aboriginal people.
    Predominately English, Irish & German with Dutch, Swiss, French & Polish
    Y Haplogroup E-V13 ("Siegel" via Prussia), Mt Haplogroup H24a1 (via Unknown)

GEDmatch Kits: A436029, M213836, Z169952 GEDCOM: 7950338

Ancestry: Hidden Content
    MyHeritage: Hidden Content
    23andme: Hidden Content
    Living DNA: Hidden Content

Registered Users
    Sex
    Nationality
    Australian
    Y-DNA (P)
    T-P322 (T1a2b1)
    mtDNA (M)
    H6a1

Australia Cornwall England Scotland Germany Poland
    Their YDNA test will assign a haplogroup - roughly.
    But this will not help you find family.
    If you share the same haplogroup with someone else it means your ancestors were in a similar group in a similar region with that person at least thousands of years ago.
    If you want to find family with YDNA, the only place testing YDNA for STRs is FamilyTree DNA and that is still the usual way in.
    But here's the catch, for typically around half British are the same basic haplogroup, so you need to get more detail for that, although you may well find a family match.
    67 markers is generally advised.

Autosomal DNA looks at all lines but you can normally only rely on all lines being present back to around 4th cousin level, maybe 5th - 6 or 7 generations back.
    Most people find it the best for looking for family.
    LivingDNA gives you that as their main thing, but their database of matches is still growing. You would increase this by copying over your results to GEDmatch Genesis, where there are matches from other test labs.
    Last edited by Saetro; 03-21-2018 at 07:50 PM.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Saetro For This Useful Post:

JohnHowellsTyrfro (03-22-2018),  redifflal (03-21-2018)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Nationality
    British
    Y-DNA (P)
    J2 (J-l25)
    mtDNA (M)
    H1 (H1bs)

Thanks for replies

I'm not really interested in finding family connections. I'm more interested in the regions they pick up and the Y-DNA information. For example, my earliest known paternal ancestor is from Shetland which Living DNA is including in the next update. So it will be interesting to see if they pick this up and also how my subclade would tie in.

Registered Users
    Sex
    Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA (P)
    E-V13
    mtDNA (M)
    H24a1

Ireland Germany Palatinate Cornwall Germany Bayern Switzerland Netherlands
    Quote Originally Posted by greerpalmer View Post
    As far as new regions--yes. The objective of living DNA is to continuously grow their database and fine tune results. The Irish DNA project will be out this year. They've also worked on a Scottish project which ideally would come out at the same time as the Irish update but from what I've read they have not yet specified. The German project is fairly new so I wouldn't hold your breath there. I also know they're starting up a Swedish project and exploring various projects with Australian aboriginal people.
    Someone posted photos from their presentation at roots tech that showed the Irish Project 60% complete with clear patterns already, German Project 40% complete with no pattern analysis until they're at 50%, and the Scottish project 20% complete.
    Last edited by greerpalmer; 03-22-2018 at 02:47 PM.
    Predominately English, Irish & German with Dutch, Swiss, French & Polish
    Y Haplogroup E-V13 ("Siegel" via Prussia), Mt Haplogroup H24a1 (via Unknown)

GEDmatch Kits: A436029, M213836, Z169952 GEDCOM: 7950338

Ancestry: Hidden Content
    MyHeritage: Hidden Content
    23andme: Hidden Content
    Living DNA: Hidden Content

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    European
    Nationality
    Typical Canadian Mutt
    Y-DNA (P)
    R-DF27 -> FGC34856
    mtDNA (M)
    J1c2e

Ireland Ukraine England France Canada
    My own experience with YDNA has been very good. I took a Y111 test at FTDNA, and out of 10 matches at 67 markers, 5 of them have the same surname (my father was adopted so we didn't know his birth surname until now). One of them has a wife who is a professional genealogist, and she has built family trees for all of us (six in total) that show our common ancestor back in France in 1634 before he came to New France (modern day Quebec). All matches are GD=2-3 at Y67, and two of them have taken Y111 and match me at GD=3-4. I realize my case of finding family ancestors with YDNA matches might be an exception, but it shows that YDNA can be used to trace family depending on how close your matches are in Genetic-Distance (i.e. number of mutations different from yours).
    Paper trail ancestry:
    Mum = 50% Irish, 37.5% Ukrainian, 12.5% Romanian
    Dad = 43.75% French-Canadian, 6.25% Irish, 50% English (25% Essex and 25% Northumberland)
    Big Y 500 = R M269 -> DF27 -> Z195 -> FGC34865 (Western France; ~500 ybp)
    mtDNA = J1c2e
    Most Distant Known Ancestor = Jean Moreau b. 1630s Parthenay, Deux-Sèvres, France
    Surnames = Welch, Chibry, Moreau, Todd, Anderson, Bedford, Joncas, Basaraba

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to fostert For This Useful Post:

MikeWhalen (03-23-2018),  Saetro (03-22-2018)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Nationality
    British
    Y-DNA (P)
    J2 (J-l25)
    mtDNA (M)
    H1 (H1bs)

Quote Originally Posted by fostert View Post
    My own experience with YDNA has been very good. I took a Y111 test at FTDNA, and out of 10 matches at 67 markers, 5 of them have the same surname (my father was adopted so we didn't know his birth surname until now). One of them has a wife who is a professional genealogist, and she has built family trees for all of us (six in total) that show our common ancestor back in France in 1634 before he came to New France (modern day Quebec). All matches are GD=2-3 at Y67, and two of them have taken Y111 and match me at GD=3-4. I realize my case of finding family ancestors with YDNA matches might be an exception, but it shows that YDNA can be used to trace family depending on how close your matches are in Genetic-Distance (i.e. number of mutations different from yours).
    That's amazing. I've taken the Living DNA test though, I'm not sure that company goes into that much detail.