Page 59 of 60 FirstFirst ... 94957585960 LastLast

Thread: Sephardic jews with Gedmatch

Registered Users
    Sex

Morocco
    Quote Originally Posted by passenger View Post
    I don't know exactly what causes it, but it's the same for all 4 Moroccan Jewish samples in G25, if you run them with those averages. They all score between 5.2 and 8.6 Baltic_LTU. The Libyan and Tunisian Jews score less - 3.4 and 3.5 on average (with some scoring 0), vs. 6.7 for the Moroccans. That leads me to believe it may be from something acquired by Iberian Jews which would be higher in some Moroccan Jews, being more heavily descended from Megorashim.

There was also Ashkenazi settlement in North Africa particularly during the French colonial period, but I don't think it would have made such an impact.
    Interesting, so it's not a unique situation here. It falls within the average. The French colonial period is very recent, and that genealogy is very traceable. There were a few families in my grandparents' city that intermingled with some Ashkenazi Jews, but not the case for that side of my family.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to coffeeprince For This Useful Post:

passenger (11-29-2020),  Seabass (11-29-2020)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Andalusian+Jewish traces
    Nationality
    Spanish

Andalucia Spain Star of David Israel Jerusalem
    Quote Originally Posted by passenger View Post
    I don't know exactly what causes it, but it's the same for all 4 Moroccan Jewish samples in G25, if you run them with those averages. They all score between 5.2 and 8.6 Baltic_LTU. The Libyan and Tunisian Jews score less - 3.4 and 3.5 on average (with some scoring 0), vs. 6.7 for the Moroccans. That leads me to believe it may be from something acquired by Iberian Jews which would be higher in some Moroccan Jews, being more heavily descended from Megorashim.

There was also Ashkenazi settlement in North Africa particularly during the French colonial period, but I don't think it would have made such an impact.
    Yes it can be a possibility, some modern iberian samples have baltic in little quantity.Thank you for your explanation.
    23andMe: 99.4% Spanish & Portuguese, 0.3% Ashkenazi Jewish, 0.3% Trace Ancestry (0.3% Nigerian)

My Heritage: 91.5% Iberian, 3.6% Ashkenazi Jewish, 2.7% Middle East, 2.2% Irish, Sccotish and Welsh

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rober_tce For This Useful Post:

coffeeprince (11-29-2020),  passenger (11-29-2020)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1a1a1b1a2b3
    mtDNA (M)
    U5a2b

Polish–LithuanianCommonwealth Bulgaria Byzantine Empire Russian Federation Israel
    One question : Is it possible/normal for person with a distant Sephardic Jewish ancestry to do not have Sephardic relatives, but have only Ashkenazi matches with little amount of Latin Americans with Sephardic ancestry on segment of this heritage on Gedmatch?

I was told by one person on Facebook DNA group, that my 23andme results are oddly assigned 'real' Ashkenazi admix to West Asian, Spanish and Greek, because he checked my Gedmatch matches and told, that I have a lot of Ashkenazic matches on these segments with a bit of Latin matches, so these chromosomal segments can not be Sephardic, but they are Ashkenazi in origin and my 23andme are wrong. Answer on my question, maybe my situation is normal and that person is not right
    Last edited by CyrylBojarski; 12-02-2020 at 07:00 PM.

Gold Class Member
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Jew
    Nationality
    USA
    Y-DNA (P)
    I-Z26381 (I2c2)
    mtDNA (M)
    H7c2
    Y-DNA (M)
    E-CTS5265
    mtDNA (P)
    K1a9

Israel Israel Jerusalem Ukraine Uzbekistan Star of David
    Quote Originally Posted by CyrylBojarski View Post
    One question : Is it possible/normal for person with a distant Sephardic Jewish ancestry to do not have Sephardic relatives, but have only Ashkenazi matches with little amount of Latin Americans with Sephardic ancestry on segment of this heritage on Gedmatch?

I was told by one person on Facebook DNA group, that my 23andme results are oddly assigned 'real' Ashkenazi admix to West Asian, Spanish and Greek, because he checked my Gedmatch matches and told, that I have a lot of Ashkenazic matches on these segments with a bit of Latin matches, so these chromosomal segment can not be Sephardic, but they are Ashkenazi in origin and my 23andme are wrong. Answer on my question, maybe my situation is normal and that person is not right
    You can have Ashkenazi and Latin American and consider that likely Sephardic in my opinion. Sephardim are undersampled compared to Ashkenazim so that could easily explain it.
    23andMe 5.9:
    100% Ashkenazi Jewish

Eurogenes K13:
    East_Med 39.85
    West_Med 20.41
    North_Atlantic 12.84
    West_Asian 9.90
    Baltic 7.64
    Red_Sea 5.56
    East_Asian 1.25
    Northeast_African 1.04

Father 23andMe 5.9:
    100% Ashkenazi Jewish

Mother 23andMe 5.9:
    98.4% Ashkenazi Jewish
    0.5% Iranian, Caucasian, Mesopotamian
    0.5% Levantine
    0.2% Coptic Egyptian
    0.2% Sudanese
    0.2% Ethiopian & Eritrean

7. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to jkotl0327 For This Useful Post:

CyrylBojarski (12-02-2020),  passenger (12-02-2020),  rober_tce (12-02-2020),  Sam1989 (12-02-2020),  Seabass (12-02-2020),  Targum (12-02-2020)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Portuguese
    Nationality
    Portuguese
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1b-DF13
    mtDNA (M)
    R0a

Portugal PortugalRoyalFlag1830
    Is it normal for a non-Jew to have dozens, perhaps hundreds of full or almost full Jewish matches on Gedmatch? I also have some on FTDNA. They don't, for the most part, seem to match on the same segment, but I have some full Jews whom I match with a 13cM segment.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to TheEmperorPalpatine For This Useful Post:

Cascio (12-07-2020)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Andalusian+Jewish traces
    Nationality
    Spanish

Andalucia Spain Star of David Israel Jerusalem
    Quote Originally Posted by TheEmperorPalpatine View Post
    Is it normal for a non-Jew to have dozens, perhaps hundreds of full or almost full Jewish matches on Gedmatch? I also have some on FTDNA. They don't, for the most part, seem to match on the same segment, but I have some full Jews whom I match with a 13cM segment.
    It can be by some reasons:

1. Many jewish take a test in these companies.

2. If your matches triangulate in a same chromosomal segment, and aren't in a pile up region, is probably all of you share a common ancestor, it can be jewish or iberian, it isn't strange due to your nationality. If you are interested, you should verify it.
    23andMe: 99.4% Spanish & Portuguese, 0.3% Ashkenazi Jewish, 0.3% Trace Ancestry (0.3% Nigerian)

My Heritage: 91.5% Iberian, 3.6% Ashkenazi Jewish, 2.7% Middle East, 2.2% Irish, Sccotish and Welsh

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to rober_tce For This Useful Post:

CyrylBojarski (12-07-2020),  Ruderico (12-07-2020),  TheEmperorPalpatine (12-07-2020)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Portuguese
    Nationality
    Portuguese
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1b-DF13
    mtDNA (M)
    R0a

Portugal PortugalRoyalFlag1830
    Quote Originally Posted by rober_tce View Post

2. If your matches triangulate in a same chromosomal segment, and aren't in a pile up region, is probably all of you share a common ancestor, it can be jewish or iberian, it isn't strange due to your nationality. If you are interested, you should verify it.
    I think I can see some triangulations, especially on chromosomes 17, 19, and 20, but I have read this segment on the 20th one (from 57 million to 59 million) is propentious to give false matches. I also have some others on the 9th chromosome on FTDNA. In general, the majority of them don't seem to triangulate, although since I only have the free version I need to look at matches one by one, and I haven't seen the majority yet. I don't know if these triangulations extend to non-jews, tho. When I search for people who match both my kit and any Jewish match I have, it seems that around 90% of them are also jews (although that might be extremely common).

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Arab

Quote Originally Posted by TheEmperorPalpatine View Post
    I think I can see some triangulations, especially on chromosomes 17, 19, and 20, but I have read this segment on the 20th one (from 57 million to 59 million) is propentious to give false matches. I also have some others on the 9th chromosome on FTDNA. In general, the majority of them don't seem to triangulate, although since I only have the free version I need to look at matches one by one, and I haven't seen the majority yet. I don't know if these triangulations extend to non-jews, tho. When I search for people who match both my kit and any Jewish match I have, it seems that around 90% of them are also jews (although that might be extremely common).
    Yea, that's pretty normal. The proportion of common matches that are Jewish should not be conflated with the origin of the shared segment with any one of those matches. Given the size of the biggest segment you match a Jewish person on (13 cM), your common ancestor will have likely lived over 10 generations ago. An ethnically mostly Jewish person will have mostly other Jewish matches in common with a DNA relative on Gedmatch. The 10% of matches could be more telling of the distant relationship you share with the Jewish matches. Do they have anything in common?/form any triangulation groups? But before looking into that you should use Gedmatch's triangulation tool then paint the segments you come across. How are you triangulating on ftdna?
    Last edited by andyouare; 12-08-2020 at 05:48 PM.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to andyouare For This Useful Post:

rober_tce (12-08-2020)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Y-DNA (P)
    E-M5021
    mtDNA (M)
    K1a1b1a

Quote Originally Posted by rober_tce View Post

Probably happens more with Iberians and North Africans than any other non-Jewish populations

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Targum For This Useful Post:

rober_tce (12-08-2020)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1a1a1b1a2b3
    mtDNA (M)
    U5a2b

Polish–LithuanianCommonwealth Bulgaria Byzantine Empire Russian Federation Israel
    Quote Originally Posted by andyouare View Post
    Yea, that's pretty normal. The proportion of common matches that are Jewish should not be conflated with the origin of the shared segment with any one of those matches. Given the size of the biggest segment you match a Jewish person on (13 cM), your common ancestor will have likely lived over 10 generations ago. An ethnically mostly Jewish person will have mostly other Jewish matches in common with a DNA relative on Gedmatch. The 10% of matches could be more telling of the distant relationship you share with the Jewish matches. Do they have anything in common?/form any triangulation groups? But before looking into that you should use Gedmatch's triangulation tool then paint the segments you come across. How are you triangulating on ftdna?
    On Gedmatch you can have matches in segment with people who have this ancestry, but distant and it does not show up in oracle results. Chromosome painting can help, especially on 23andme to know ancestor of which ethnicity was common. Is it possible for Ashkenazi person to have distant Iberian ancestor?

18. The Following User Says Thank You to CyrylBojarski For This Useful Post:

rober_tce (12-08-2020)

Page 59 of 60 FirstFirst ... 94957585960 LastLast