mtDNA (M)
    V
    Y-DNA (M)
    R1b L21+ L371+
    mtDNA (P)
    J1c2l

Wales England Cornwall Scotland Ireland Normandie

Early Medieval Germanic barrow burials

This is an appeal to tap the community's expertise. Does anyone have any maps or information on early medieval (migration period) barrow burials in continental Germanic Europe? I'm looking for inhumations more than cremations and either primary burials or reused prehistoric mounds. I understand that the Merovingians sometimes followed this funerary practice and believe it was continued into this period in Scandinavia (as well as later of course). I've seen the Netherlands and lower Rhine mentioned but can't find anything in depth online in English or in any of my books. I've found a study by Robert Van de Noort online, which has a map but doesn't name sites or break them down by type. I'm really after areas that had inhumations with weapons and other goods, perhaps with a Frankish influence. Thanks
    Living DNA's former Cautious mode:
    Wales-related ancestry: 86.8%
    Cornwall: 8%
    North England-related ancestry: 5.2%
    Y line: Peak District, England. Closest matches: Sweden; TMRCA 1,300 ybp (YFull);
    mtDNA: traces to Glamorgan, Wales
    Mother's Y: traces to Llanvair Discoed, Wales

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to JonikW For This Useful Post:

Bollox79 (03-31-2018),  JMcB (03-31-2018),  JohnHowellsTyrfro (03-31-2018)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Celto-Germani/Norse-Gael
    Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA (P)
    U106DF98KingsCluster
    mtDNA (M)
    T2b2b/Tipperary
    Y-DNA (M)
    R-Y5061 O'Duibhir
    mtDNA (P)
    German or Isles

Ireland Scotland Germany Imperial Norway England Northern Ireland
    Quote Originally Posted by JonikW View Post
    This is an appeal to tap the community's expertise. Does anyone have any maps or information on early medieval (migration period) barrow burials in continental Germanic Europe? I'm looking for inhumations more than cremations and either primary burials or reused prehistoric mounds. I understand that the Merovingians sometimes followed this funerary practice and believe it was continued into this period in Scandinavia (as well as later of course). I've seen the Netherlands and lower Rhine mentioned but can't find anything in depth online in English or in any of my books. I've found a study by Robert Van de Noort online, which has a map but doesn't name sites or break them down by type. I'm really after areas that had inhumations with weapons and other goods, perhaps with a Frankish influence. Thanks
    I'll be interested to see what you find JonikW (I'll add you as friend here in a second!)... as I am interested in this for the same reasons I think (recent migration papers!). I have been able to find some interesting stuff on Alternerding and some Migration era stuff - but it's always in a preview of a published book so can't really see maps etc... I am considering buying some of these books after the experts look at our U106 samples and make sure they are real (which I think they are after different programs found them positive - I asked Alex Williamson to take a look at the big file results of ALH 1 to see if he is anything under Z305-307 since when I ran the BAM file I thought I saw reads for DF96 which is an SNP under that level and brother SNP to DF98 House of Wettin (my group)! Here is one preview that I found interesting on Alternerding: https://books.google.com/books?id=88...e%2092&f=false and here is one on the Franks and Alamanni (since I'm pretty convinced that some of these U106 guys are Franks or Alamanni or bit of both... since Z156 is much more common in the West and in those areas and Wettin is roughly Northern Germany and also the female AED 1119 was near one of the U106 guys I think (would have to look at PCA again) and she had Frankish-Alamanni grave goods..): https://books.google.com/books?id=yh...0sword&f=false

Cheers!
    Y-DNA: 5th GGF Captain Johann Martin Weber, 1st Pennsylvania (Long) Rifles/Rangers of the Frontier, Rev. War, b. 1739 in Rhineland, Germany, d. 1804 Dauphin, PA. : R1b-U106-DF98-S1911-S1894/S1900-S4004... FGC14817 shared with 6drif-3 - one of the "Headless" Roman Gladiator/Soldiers of Eboracum.

mtDNA: 3rd GGM Bridget O'Danagher b. 1843 Lorrha/Dorrha, Ireland - T2b2b - Pagan Icelander SSG-A3 (grave 4) - Sķlastašir in Eyjafjaršarsżsla, North Iceland is T2b2b.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bollox79 For This Useful Post:

JohnHowellsTyrfro (03-31-2018),  JonikW (03-31-2018)