Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Iraqi and Syrian genetics

Banned
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Telgu/marathi

Siberian Tatars Tajikistan

Iraqi and Syrian genetics

I have been searching for information about Iraqi and Syrian genetics but there isn't much. All I've gotten is some information about haplogroups from a small spectrum of groups. This is frustrating because I want to know how much descent Iraqis have from native Mesopotamian sources versus Arabian and Persian and folk tales are unreliable because almost every clan/tribe claims to be from the Arabian peninsula but we know that's not possible. Same thing applies to Syrians except in their case it's Arabian and Roman/Greek influence on top of native Levantine.

I have not heard about any aDNA from the ancient Arameans, Sumerians, or Babylonians which would help a lot in this regard. In addition, there is not a clear breakdown by tribe, region and sect. I am aware that there was a large migration of Arab tribes from over several centuries to Iraq, especially the south so it would make sense to test by region. I am also very curious about eastern Syria and how it relates to the western parts which are presumably Levantine dominated, as well as the transition zone in between.

Does anyone know more? I would like to see PCAs of Iraqis and Syrians from various regions.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Censored For This Useful Post:

Abd.H (04-09-2018)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Omitted
    Batroun(Bitron, Bortrys, Petronis, Beit Truna)
    Ethnicity
    Phoenician-Canaanite

United States of America Lebanon Phoenicia
    Well as for Syrians, Lebanese are pretty damn close. A typical Lebanese will get Arabian scores here and there ranging from 10-15% but these are more likley due to shared alleles from a more ancient source as opposed to being genuinely "Arab". I think the same can be said for most of the region, although Arab tribes did have an impact. Using Global 25, my data fit best with the results: ~80% Canaanite + ~20% Greek(most likely Mycenaean but could be Seleucid as well ect..). I compared my gedmatch to a Levantine from Antioch(now in southern turkey) and the results were very similar as well. Just some info to help you!

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Batroun For This Useful Post:

Agamemnon (04-08-2018),  moesan (04-10-2018)

Banned
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Telgu/marathi

Siberian Tatars Tajikistan
    Quote Originally Posted by Batroun View Post
    Well as for Syrians, Lebanese are pretty damn close. A typical Lebanese will get Arabian scores here and there ranging from 10-15% but these are more likley due to shared alleles from a more ancient source as opposed to being genuinely "Arab". I think the same can be said for most of the region, although Arab tribes did have an impact. Using Global 25, my data fit best with the results: ~80% Canaanite + ~20% Greek(most likely Mycenaean but could be Seleucid as well ect..). I compared my gedmatch to a Levantine from Antioch(now in southern turkey) and the results were very similar as well. Just some info to help you!
    I have no doubt that Syrians in areas like Damascus, Homs, and perhaps even Aleppo would be quite similar to Lebanese but I'm curious about those further east and in the border of Jordan.

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Afro-European
    Nationality
    Tunisia
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1bM269U106-FGC7559
    mtDNA (M)
    L2a

Sweden Northern Ireland Tunisia England Scotland Sudan
    Syrian and Lebanese bedouins will score genuine Arab admixture, I think.
    My closest oracles:
    1 CEU + Morocco_Jews + Swedish + Sahara_OCC @ 1.618438 DODECAD V3
    1 BedouinA + German_North + Scottish_West + Tunisian @ 1.355784 puntDNAL K12 Modern
    1 Algerian + BedouinA + British + Norwegian_West @ 2.072077 MDLP K23b

A thread where I explain how the Tunisian sample used by various gedmatch calcs is not representative of Tunisians:
    Hidden Content

7. The Following User Says Thank You to kikkk For This Useful Post:

Riverman (07-27-2020)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Omitted
    Ethnicity
    Turkish
    Y-DNA (P)
    J2a4h2f* (J-L192)
    mtDNA (M)
    H, U3b

Turkey Ottoman Empire Ottoman Empire 2
    10-15% Arabian is low for Lebanese. I think they would score more Arabian.

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Ruthenian
    Y-DNA (P)
    R-M198
    mtDNA (M)
    n/a

Russia Imperial
    Quote Originally Posted by Hanna View Post
    10-15% Arabian is low for Lebanese. I think they would score more Arabian.
    Not for the Christians.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Leto For This Useful Post:

Onur Dincer (04-08-2018)

Gold Class Member
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Somali
    Y-DNA (P)
    E-V32
    mtDNA (M)
    N1a

Somalia Ethiopia Eritrea Djibouti
    Quote Originally Posted by Censored View Post
    I have no doubt that Syrians in areas like Damascus, Homs, and perhaps even Aleppo would be quite similar to Lebanese but I'm curious about those further east and in the border of Jordan.
    Can't quite back it up myself but I recall a southern Iraqi Bedouin friend (King) pointing out to me ages back that Syrians from around the eastern parts of the country tend to have a Mesopotamian shift. Basically a shift toward populations like Assyrians, certain Iraqi-Arabs, Mandaeans as well as Iraqi and Iranian Jews.

Quote Originally Posted by kikkk View Post
    Syrian and Lebanese bedouins will score genuine Arab admixture, I think.
    I'll bet...

12. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Awale For This Useful Post:

A Norfolk L-M20 (04-12-2018),  Agamemnon (04-08-2018),  Riverman (07-27-2020),  Targum (04-08-2018)

Banned
    Sex

There seems to be quite a bit of excavation going on in Iraq, but it’s mostly in the Kurdistan area

https://anthrogenica.com/showthread....320#post376320

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Kurd For This Useful Post:

A Norfolk L-M20 (04-12-2018),  kingjohn (04-08-2018),  Onur Dincer (04-08-2018)

Global Moderator
    Sex
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1b>U152>L2>FGC32041
    mtDNA (M)
    X2e2a3
    Y-DNA (M)
    R1a>YP294>BY90442
    mtDNA (P)
    T2b

Cappadocian Kingdom Thracian Odrysian Kingdom Greek Macedonia Byzantine Empire Ottoman Empire Turkey
    Quote Originally Posted by Leto View Post
    Not for the Christians.
    I doubt Christian Lebanese have any Islamic-era Arabian admixture.
    Hidden Content

Y-DNA: R1b>P312>U152>L2>Z41150>DF90>FGC14641>FGC32041; Nigde, Turkey
    mtDNA: X2e2a3; Drama, Greece
    Maternal Y-DNA: R1a>Y40>YP294>BY90442; Razgrad, Bulgaria
    Father's mtDNA: T2b; Nigde, Turkey
    Paternal grandfather's mtDNA: H2a1; Nigde, Turkey
    Maternal grandfather's mtDNA: H5o; Razgrad, Bulgaria
    Father's maternal Y-DNA: R1b>P312>U152>L2>Z41150>DF90>FGC14641>FGC32041; Nigde, Turkey

Ālim-i Rūm (Scholar of Hidden Content )

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Onur Dincer For This Useful Post:

Leto (04-08-2018)

Banned
    Sex
    Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1a1a
    mtDNA (M)
    H

United States of America

European-like ancestry in Lebanese is more Western European, not Balkan, based on the components on GEDMatch. If anything it is more likely Norman and not higher than 5%. Greeks have too high of NE European type ancestry when compared to the Lebanese for there to have been any input, and Mycenaeans were more Sardinian-like, so unless you score Baltic or Sardinian, unlikely you have Greek.

Now, some Lebanese do score 'Italian' on MyHeritage, 23andme, etc. which means it is either Roman, or from a Greek group more close to Italians than to Greeks (islanders, Cypriots, etc).

18. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Sikeliot For This Useful Post:

A Norfolk L-M20 (04-12-2018),  lukaszM (04-11-2018),  moesan (04-10-2018),  SonsOfHerakles (04-12-2018)

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast