Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Why am I showing so much Italian ancestry?

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    North & Ionian Seas
    Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA (P)
    I1 (P109)

England Italy Germany Scotland
    Quote Originally Posted by euromutt View Post
    Both seem super off.

MDLP 23b

1. 70% French 30% Jew_Tat. 1.3
    2. 66.2% French 33.8% Assyrian Iraqi 1.33
    3. 66.9% French 33.1% Georgian Jew 1.37
    4. 72.6% French 27.4% Assyrian Arzni 1.69
    5. 59.1% Welsh 40.9% Greek Smyrna 1.98
    6. 64.4% French 35.6% Turk Kayseri 2.02

Dodecad v3
    1. 61.6% N. European 38.4% Cypriots 2.15
    2. 57.7% Ashkenazi 42.3% CEU 2.35
    3. 60.3% Ashkenazi 39.7% Orkney
    4. 59.9% Ashkenazi 40.1% Orcadian
    5. 59.6% Ashkenazi 40.4% Argyll

But perhaps I’m taking them too much at face value?
    Ashkenazi and Cypriot are similar to Southern Italian DNA.
    MDLP usually favors the Balkans for its Mediterranean groups, so those numbers/regions seems right as well.

also, The Caucuses/West Asia show up in small percentages for many NW European groups. The French on your mom's side could very well be from the Mediterranean region of France thus increasing your "Italian" numbers since Northern Italy often has overlapping DNA traits with Switzerland, France, Austria, Southern Germany..... this is just a layman's view.
    Last edited by JerryS.; 04-13-2018 at 08:08 PM.

Registered Users
    Sex
    Omitted
    mtDNA (M)
    V3c

Italy Canada Quebec England Scotland
    Quote Originally Posted by greerpalmer View Post
    The Eurogenes K36 Taux de Similitude may be worth a gander. Looks like you peak in Southeast Switzerland, West Austria. Surprisingly, K36 gives you 1% French and 14% Iberian. What is your mother's known ancestry? How far back can you trace the lines?
    My mother is 75% French and 25% English. On both sides I’ve traced back her French heritage through French Canada and back to France. The French on her mother’s side is back to 1730s and her fathers is back to 1700s at least on all lines, some back to 1500s.
    I’ve been able to trace her English line in Yorkshire to 1860 on one half and the other back to 1700s.

I’m very surprised K36 gives me 1% considering how extensive the paper trail is.
    Last edited by euromutt; 04-14-2018 at 02:26 AM.

Registered Users
    Sex
    Omitted
    mtDNA (M)
    V3c

Quote Originally Posted by RobinBMc View Post
    I'm not sure the AncestryDNA results are that far off. Iberian and Middle East are low enough to just be noise - so even if you add Europe South and Caucasus together, that's 59%, and therefore only overestimated by 9%, which isn't that much. Additionally, AncestryDNA actually provides a percentage range for each category. What are your ranges for Europe South and Caucasus? The ethnicity report is only an estimate and 9% off is well within a margin of error and I'd consider this fairly consistent with your known ancestry.
    On Ancestry my Europe South is ranged 29%- 61% and my Caucasus is ranged 2%-20%.
    If weíre talking 9% error would that then make the Caucasus more ancient noise?

Registered Users
    Sex
    Omitted
    mtDNA (M)
    V3c

Quote Originally Posted by JerryS. View Post
    Ashkenazi and Cypriot are similar to Southern Italian DNA.
    MDLP usually favors the Balkans for its Mediterranean groups, so those numbers/regions seems right as well.

also, The Caucuses/West Asia show up in small percentages for many NW European groups. The French on your mom's side could very well be from the Mediterranean region of France thus increasing your "Italian" numbers since Northern Italy often has overlapping DNA traits with Switzerland, France, Austria, Southern Germany..... this is just a layman's view.
    The majority of her family is from the Normandy region with the remainder alll being in the Loire region. Alll about the same area but also why Iím surprised if the French is coming through as Europe South, I suppose Iíd expect Iberian if anything.

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    White European
    Nationality
    USA
    Y-DNA (P)
    I-M223
    mtDNA (M)
    T2b

England Scotland Germany Switzerland Italy Norway
    On Ancestry my Europe South is ranged 29%- 61% and my Caucasus is ranged 2%-20%.
    Yeah, that more than covers a 9% error. Theoretically, either or both of these could be a little lower than then final average they gave you - maybe your "actual" numbers were something like 47% Europe South and 3% Caucasus, or 40% Europe South and 10% Caucasus. The way AncestryDNA calculates percentages is they run 40 different analyses on your DNA and each one may results in different results. So then they average the 40 results out to get your final percentage, while the range shows the lowest and highest percentages you got for that category during the 40 different analyses. Knowing that the final percentage is just an average shows just how much this is only an estimate and that your actual percentage could theoretically be anywhere within the range.

If we’re talking 9% error would that then make the Caucasus more ancient noise?
    I don't think it's noise - my understanding is that noise is like a false positive due to random coincidence. The Caucasus results are too high for that. It could be a more ancient component of your Italian ancestry though - which my understanding simply means that historically, the Italians and people of the Caucasus area intermixed enough that they now share DNA, which means some Italians get results in Caucasus and vice versa.

Low confidence regions are ones where the lowest of your range is 0% and the average doesn't exceed 15%, or where the average is below 4.5%. They are marked as low confidence regions because they are more likely to be noise - this is why I dismissed the Middle East and Iberian results as noise. I'm guessing the lowest of your range for those is 0%?

Registered Users
    Sex
    Omitted
    mtDNA (M)
    V3c

Yeah, that more than covers a 9% error. Theoretically, either or both of these could be a little lower than then final average they gave you - maybe your "actual" numbers were something like 47% Europe South and 3% Caucasus, or 40% Europe South and 10% Caucasus.
    That would definitely make more sense than the over abundance of Italian/Italian derived ancestry.

Low confidence regions are ones where the lowest of your range is 0% and the average doesn't exceed 15%, or where the average is below 4.5%. They are marked as low confidence regions because they are more likely to be noise - this is why I dismissed the Middle East and Iberian results as noise. I'm guessing the lowest of your range for those is 0%?
    Correct, the Middle East is ranged 0%-5% and the Iberian is ranged 0%-8%. Taking the 9% error into consideration could negate both of them entirely I suppose.

Does that same 9% error hold true for MyHeritage and FTDNA as well? FTDNA gives me 28% Middle Eastern, 27% British Isles, 17% Iberia, 17% Southeast Europe, 9% East Europe (which Iíve got no paper trail for)

MyHeritage sticks me at 37.6% Greek, 27.6% Iberian, 23.8% North and West Europe, and 11% West Asia.

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    North & Ionian Seas
    Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA (P)
    I1 (P109)

Ancestry dot com gave me less than 1% Iberian. Eurogenes K36 gives me over 12%.

take the commercial for profit company results with a grain of salt.

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    White European
    Nationality
    USA
    Y-DNA (P)
    I-M223
    mtDNA (M)
    T2b

That would definitely make more sense than the over abundance of Italian/Italian derived ancestry.

Correct, the Middle East is ranged 0%-5% and the Iberian is ranged 0%-8%. Taking the 9% error into consideration could negate both of them entirely I suppose.

Does that same 9% error hold true for MyHeritage and FTDNA as well? FTDNA gives me 28% Middle Eastern, 27% British Isles, 17% Iberia, 17% Southeast Europe, 9% East Europe (which I’ve got no paper trail for)

MyHeritage sticks me at 37.6% Greek, 27.6% Iberian, 23.8% North and West Europe, and 11% West Asia.
    FTDNA and MyHeritage haven't been as accurate in my experience. They are also estimates, of course, but their margin of error seems a lot bigger. They may do the same averaging of several analyses but they do not include the lowest and highest range like AncestryDNA does - another reason I prefer AncestryDNA.

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    White European
    Nationality
    USA
    Y-DNA (P)
    I-M223
    mtDNA (M)
    T2b

Quote Originally Posted by JerryS. View Post
    Ancestry dot com gave me less than 1% Iberian. Eurogenes K36 gives me over 12%.

take the commercial for profit company results with a grain of salt.
    But you are part Italian, not Iberian? So that makes AncestryDNA more accurate than K36? Certainly, I'd say take any ethnicity/admixture with a grain of salt but I generally find AncestryDNA is more accurate than any of the Gedmatch calculators.

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to RobinBMc For This Useful Post:

euromutt (04-15-2018),  FionnSneachta (04-15-2018),  JerryS. (04-15-2018)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    North & Ionian Seas
    Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA (P)
    I1 (P109)

But you are part Italian, not Iberian? So that makes AncestryDNA more accurate than K36? Certainly, I'd say take any ethnicity/admixture with a grain of salt but I generally find AncestryDNA is more accurate than any of the Gedmatch calculators.
    touchť

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12