Ethnicity
    Iranian Qashqai+Bakhtiari
    Nationality
    Iranian-American
    Y-DNA
    J2a1a2c — J-L290
    mtDNA
    J1

Iran AchaemenidEmpire1 Iran Safavid Empire United States of America Kurdistan Iran Sassanid Empire
    I'm really curious if everyone who was updated was updated in like april or may at certain time because it seems like everyone who has been updated where updated in earlier on. Like has anyone recently been updated did they just have one day or a few days that they updated a random amount of people and then stop or have they been slowly updating. They make it seem like its been slowly rolled out but I feel like they just had a short time period where they updated a certain amount of people.

Registered Users
    Ethnicity
    Northern Ireland
    Nationality
    Northern Irish

Northern Ireland Ireland
    I don’t think they have updated in a while.

Registered Users
    Sex
    Nationality
    Australian
    Y-DNA
    T-P322 (T1a2b1)
    mtDNA
    H6a1

Australia Cornwall England Scotland Germany Poland
    Quote Originally Posted by FionnSneachta View Post
    They haven't actually announced when it will be ready. It could still be a while off. For the moment though, you won't get much better than that genetic community. I actually have more faith in the genetic communities than the ethnicity estimates themselves.
    Does not work for me.
    Ancestry do not sell in Germany, so my German father's side has ZERO genetic communities.

And my British mother's side was rubbish on the old ethnicity estimates for genetic communities.
    The new one is much better, but still full of holes.
    I have zero ancestors from London, but a massive genetic community there.
    My Scottish do not exist at Ancestry at all.
    And my Cornish are smeared all along the south coast.

Moreover, the ethnicity estimates in percentages, the ethnicity map and the genetic communities all tell me different things.
    Last edited by Saetro; 07-11-2018 at 01:30 AM.

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Irish
    Nationality
    Irish
    Y-DNA
    R-L21/DF23/FGC6545
    mtDNA
    H6a1b2

Ireland
    Quote Originally Posted by Saetro View Post
    Does not work for me.
    Ancestry do not sell in Germany, so my German father's side has ZERO genetic communities.

And my British mother's side was rubbish on the old ethnicity estimates for genetic communities.
    The new one is much better, but still full of holes.
    I have zero ancestors from London, but a massive genetic community there.
    My Scottish do not exist at Ancestry at all.
    And my Cornish are smeared all along the south coast.

Moreover, the ethnicity estimates in percentages, the ethnicity map and the genetic communities all tell me different things.
    Well yes not everyone gets a genetic community. I just meant that if you get a genetic community, that is about as precise as you can get detecting regions within a country when an ethnicity estimate can't even bring it down to the country level in many cases.

I know that you're saying that your Cornish is represented by a smear along the south coast but it's more precise than giving the region Great Britain which many people of British ancestry don't even get that high. The London community is an instance where the community seems to have been assigned incorrectly. You must happen to match lots of people with ancestry from London. It's just that mostly from what I've seen the communities can be more reliable than estimates. Of course, they have their limitations since if you're mixed, they won't reflect your full ancestry.

My dad's second cousin was adopted but knew her biological mother's name. I was able to fill her in on her mother's ancestry. Her maternal grandmother was from Connacht in Ireland and her maternal grandfather was from Ulster. She didn't get a community to reflect these grandparents. However, she got the Munster genetic community which helps her to narrow down somewhat where her father may have been from compared to just getting Ireland as her ethnicity estimate. It also eliminated the man that her biological mother did eventually marry as the father since he was from Connacht. It does have its uses and can narrow down ancestry to specific locations for certain lines of your ancestry.
    Ancestry: Ireland (Roscommon, Galway, Mayo)
    Paternal ancestor (Y): Martin Kelly b. c1830 in Co. Roscommon (Ui Maine)
    Father's mtDNA: Catherine Fleming b. c1831 in Co. Roscommon (H27e)
    Maternal ancestor (mt): Anne McDermott b. c1814 in Co. Roscommon
    Paternal great grandfather (mt): Mary Connella b. c1798 in Co. Roscommon (T2a1a8)

5. The Following User Says Thank You to FionnSneachta For This Useful Post:

sktibo (07-12-2018)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA
    Dad: I1-P109
    mtDNA
    T1a1

Germany United Kingdom Czech Republic Canada Canada Quebec Netherlands
    So frustrating. That ethnicity estimate satisfaction survey showed up on my dad's kit again, and I've filled it out again, but still no updates.
    Last edited by PoxVoldius; 07-12-2018 at 07:10 PM. Reason: saw a typo
    Ancestry paper trail tally: 21.1% Colonial American (British Isles, German, Dutch, Swiss, French), 14.1% not traced past 19th Century United States (MD, NJ, NY, PA, VA), 7.8% Canadian (Ontario & Quebec), 40.6% German, 15.6% Czech, 0.8% British & Irish

Hidden Content * Hidden Content

7. The Following User Says Thank You to PoxVoldius For This Useful Post:

daragon39 (07-12-2018)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    European
    Nationality
    Typical Canadian Mutt
    Y-DNA
    R-DF27 -> FGC34856
    mtDNA
    J1c2e

Ireland Ukraine England France Canada
    Quote Originally Posted by Saba123 View Post
    I'm really curious if everyone who was updated was updated in like april or may at certain time because it seems like everyone who has been updated where updated in earlier on. Like has anyone recently been updated did they just have one day or a few days that they updated a random amount of people and then stop or have they been slowly updating. They make it seem like its been slowly rolled out but I feel like they just had a short time period where they updated a certain amount of people.
    I'm getting new DNA matches that have the updated ethnicity estimates almost weekly now. Mind you some of them have only the old estimate too.

When I was updated back in May, it first happened as a 24-hour "teaser": I checked my ethnicity estimates for all the kits I admin one evening and found it was all new, and then the next day by lunchtime it reverted back. Just over a week later all the kits I admin got the update permanently, with the option of keeping the old results. I had to fill in a little survey to see each kit's new results.

My cousin got hers just in the last couple weeks. So its happening, but is glacially slow. I too am waiting on pins and needles to see my close matches new results.
    Mum = 50% Irish, 50% Ukrainian
    Dad = 40% French-Canadian, 10% Irish, 50% English
    Big Y + YTree.net = R M269 -> DF27 -> Z195 -> FGC34881 -> FGC34865 (SW France; ~500 ybp)
    FTDNA mtDNA Full Sequence = J1c2e
    Most Distant Known Ancestor = Jean Moreau b. 1630s Parthenay, Deux-Sèvres, France
    Surnames = Welch, Chibry, Moreau, Todd, Anderson, Bedford, Joncas, Basaraba

9. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to fostert For This Useful Post:

euromutt (07-12-2018), FionnSneachta (07-12-2018), laulei (07-12-2018), timberwolf (07-12-2018)

Registered Users

Quote Originally Posted by fostert View Post
    I'm getting new DNA matches that have the updated ethnicity estimates almost weekly now. Mind you some of them have only the old estimate too.

When I was updated back in May, it first happened as a 24-hour "teaser": I checked my ethnicity estimates for all the kits I admin one evening and found it was all new, and then the next day by lunchtime it reverted back. Just over a week later all the kits I admin got the update permanently, with the option of keeping the old results. I had to fill in a little survey to see each kit's new results.

My cousin got hers just in the last couple weeks. So its happening, but is glacially slow. I too am waiting on pins and needles to see my close matches new results.
    On my first page of matches only 1/50 people or 2% have the updated results. Mind you it was the last person on the page too who had the update. I can see how some people casually strolling through their matches can feel like they have been completely ignored thus far with this update. If I only see 2% of updates after close to 3 months it might indeed be “some time.”
    Last edited by mwauthy; 07-12-2018 at 09:26 PM. Reason: Addition

11. The Following User Says Thank You to mwauthy For This Useful Post:

euromutt (07-12-2018)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Nationality
    Australian
    Y-DNA
    T-P322 (T1a2b1)
    mtDNA
    H6a1

Australia Cornwall England Scotland Germany Poland
    Quote Originally Posted by FionnSneachta View Post
    Well yes not everyone gets a genetic community. I just meant that if you get a genetic community, that is about as precise as you can get detecting regions within a country when an ethnicity estimate can't even bring it down to the country level in many cases.

I know that you're saying that your Cornish is represented by a smear along the south coast but it's more precise than giving the region Great Britain which many people of British ancestry don't even get that high. The London community is an instance where the community seems to have been assigned incorrectly. You must happen to match lots of people with ancestry from London. It's just that mostly from what I've seen the communities can be more reliable than estimates. Of course, they have their limitations since if you're mixed, they won't reflect your full ancestry.
    Yes, but I already knew they were from Cornwall from:
    1)My grandmother and her mother
    2) Cornish surnames alone

So surname analysis was more accurate than their whizz-bang fancy science.
    And is for many people with British ancestry.
    "Supersede" literally means "sits on top of" i.e. latest.
    It does not necessarily mean best or most useful.
    In general, no one technique does everything and AncestryDNA ethnicity / genetic communities still has a long way to go.

Surveying people I know, many people find it somewhat accurate.
    The only glowing accounts come from people who have nothing to compare it with - they have no other source of information on origins, so some information looks wonderful.
    I hope for their sake that it continues to be when they have tracked down the other information.

But so far, on all British lines, my granny beat AncestryDNA hands down.
    And I know that some family stories may be inaccurate but the hundreds I have heard about contained way more good leads than bad.
    If you don't have a granny to ask, or she doesn't know or isn't telling, AncestryDNA may be useful.
    Otherwise, go to it!
    Last edited by Saetro; 07-12-2018 at 10:00 PM.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Saetro For This Useful Post:

msmarjoribanks (07-12-2018)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    mixed European
    Nationality
    USA
    Y-DNA
    Dad: R1b/L21/DF63
    mtDNA
    K2b2

The problem with the genetic communities for most people is that -- unless you are adopted or have a side of your family you don't know -- you aren't going to learn anything you didn't already know, since to be close enough to get a genetic community you probably are sufficiently close to know the connection from family alone.

But I still think they are cool and wish I had one, and not just migrations. Other than the London one, I haven't heard of any that are inaccurate yet.

My migrations are accurate (but boringly general and stuff I knew already, although I easily could have been unaware of those). My circles are also accurate (but again you have to have done the work on those for the most part).

Surname analysis might be useful for many people with British ancestry, but in my own tree it's not particularly helpful on most lines.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to msmarjoribanks For This Useful Post:

FionnSneachta (07-12-2018), Saetro (07-13-2018)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Irish
    Nationality
    Irish
    Y-DNA
    R-L21/DF23/FGC6545
    mtDNA
    H6a1b2

Ireland
    Quote Originally Posted by Saetro View Post
    Yes, but I already knew they were from Cornwall from:
    1)My grandmother and her mother
    2) Cornish surnames alone

So surname analysis was more accurate than their whizz-bang fancy science.
    And is for many people with British ancestry.
    "Supersede" literally means "sits on top of" i.e. latest.
    It does not necessarily mean best or most useful.
    In general, no one technique does everything and AncestryDNA ethnicity / genetic communities still has a long way to go.

Surveying people I know, many people find it somewhat accurate.
    The only glowing accounts come from people who have nothing to compare it with - they have no other source of information on origins, so some information looks wonderful.
    I hope for their sake that it continues to be when they have tracked down the other information.

But so far, on all British lines, my granny beat AncestryDNA hands down.
    And I know that some family stories may be inaccurate but the hundreds I have heard about contained way more good leads than bad.
    If you don't have a granny to ask, or she doesn't know or isn't telling, AncestryDNA may be useful.
    Otherwise, go to it!
    Your point about surname analysis and family history can be used against ethnicity estimates as well though. Ethnicity estimates and genetic communities haven't been useful for me. Being told that you have ancestry from countries where you know you have ancestry is hardly any more of a revelation than being told you have ancestry from regions that you know about from research. Of course ethnicity estimates and genetic communities are of limited use if you know your ancestry. They're just interesting to see if they actually match up to what I already know and think isn't 'cool' how they can pick up on Ancestry in Connacht and Ireland. The only part of autosomal DNA that I've actually found useful are the DNA matches. I do find doing research in my case much more beneficial than any of these DNA tests. Of course, both estimates and genetic communities are useful for those who don't know where their ancestors are from. I'm not saying that genetic communities are the best part of autosomal DNA but rather that they can be useful in certain scenarios for people who don't know their ancestry and should confirm ancestry from a region if it was being queried. The same goes for ethnicity estimates since if you know where your ancestors came from, I don't see how it could be very helpful. The thing with ethnicity estimates though is that they often seem to be very misleading for some people whether it's a commercial company or GEDmatch. It's a combination of family research, DNA matches, ethnicity estimates and in Ancestry's case genetic communities that yield the best results. I like the DNA matches because it confirms the paper trail as well as helping to track down descendants of ancestors. I don't know why "supersede" was brought into this and its definition since I never mentioned it.

Not everyone understands the limitations of what they're getting with these tests. My mum's second cousin was disappointed with his results. It was only after getting the results that he realised that relatives need to have tested in order to get matches. All his ethnicity estimate told him was that he was Irish. He just saw it as a money-grab. Unfortunately, it turned him off getting his Y-DNA tested even when I offered to pay for it. People don't realise that they won't get any immediate big revelation by doing these tests unless they're adopted, didn't know their ancestry, were lied to or the results are inaccurate. After getting the results, you need to look at your matches and contact them and do your own research if you want to get the value out of your money.
    Last edited by FionnSneachta; 07-12-2018 at 11:46 PM.
    Ancestry: Ireland (Roscommon, Galway, Mayo)
    Paternal ancestor (Y): Martin Kelly b. c1830 in Co. Roscommon (Ui Maine)
    Father's mtDNA: Catherine Fleming b. c1831 in Co. Roscommon (H27e)
    Maternal ancestor (mt): Anne McDermott b. c1814 in Co. Roscommon
    Paternal great grandfather (mt): Mary Connella b. c1798 in Co. Roscommon (T2a1a8)

17. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to FionnSneachta For This Useful Post:

euromutt (07-13-2018), Jessie (07-13-2018), msmarjoribanks (07-13-2018), Saetro (07-13-2018)

Page 133 of 247 FirstFirst ... 3383123131132133134135143183233 ... LastLast