Page 1 of 116 1231151101 ... LastLast

Thread: Is the Ethnicity Estimate getting an update? 2018

Registered Users
    Sex
    mtDNA
    H10a1

United States of America

Is the Ethnicity Estimate getting an update? 2018

I was looking at some AncestryDNA results on Instagram and I noticed that some people have breakdowns of their Europe South region. I know what Genetic Communities and Migrations are and I am not referring to those. It looks like AncestryDNA is separating Italy from Greece and Spain from Portugal. I noticed that they have a category called Germanic Europe and France has its own separate region. It looks like they have added the Baltic States as a region and Native American has three regions. Has anyone found any information about this potential update or have your results changed?

Here are some of the pictures I have seen on Instagram:

Instagram Screenshot 1.pngInstagram Screenshot 2.pngInstagram Screenshot 3.png
    AncestryDNA: 47% Ireland, 31% Scandinavian, 8% Europe West, 5% Italy/Greece, 4% Great Britain, 1% European Jewish, 1% Iberian Penninsula, <1% Finland/NW Russia, <1% Africa North, <1% Caucasus, Other Regions Tested: 0-<1% Europe East, 0-<1% Native American

23andMe (V4) 90% Confidence Level: 56.1% Broadly NW European, 9% British & Irish, 0.4% Scandinavian, 0.2% Finnish, 32.3% Broadly European, 0.2% Native American, 1.8% Unassigned

2. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to laulei For This Useful Post:

ajc347 (04-20-2018), euromutt (04-19-2018), fostert (04-21-2018), jeanL (04-20-2018), Jessie (04-23-2018), kujira692 (04-20-2018), Mike_G (04-19-2018), sktibo (04-21-2018), tomz (04-24-2018), Varun R (04-20-2018)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Mixed
    Nationality
    British

United Kingdom Netherlands Mauritius Mozambique India Madagascar
    Looks like it. I've seen some updated results on the facebook groups I'm on.
    AncestryDNA - 75% European, 13% Asian, 10% African, 1% Native American, 1% Pacific Islander
    23andme - 78.4% European, 10.1% East Asian and Native American, 7.7% Subsaharan African, 3.2% South Asian, 0.2% North African, 0.1% Oceanian, 0.4% unassigned
    DNA.Land - 77% West Eurasian, 12% East Asian, 9.7% African, 1.9% Ambiguous
    DNA Tribes - 72.6% European, 10.4% Subsaharan African, 7.8% Asian, 7.1% South Asian, 2.1% Amerindian

4. The Following User Says Thank You to JFWinstone For This Useful Post:

sktibo (04-21-2018)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Omitted
    Nationality
    American

Italy France England
    Quote Originally Posted by laulei View Post
    I was looking at some AncestryDNA results on Instagram and I noticed that some people have breakdowns of their Europe South region. I know what Genetic Communities and Migrations are and I am not referring to those. It looks like AncestryDNA is separating Italy from Greece and Spain from Portugal. I noticed that they have a category called Germanic Europe and France has its own separate region. It looks like they have added the Baltic States as a region and Native American has three regions. Has anyone found any information about this potential update or have your results changed?

Here are some of the pictures I have seen on Instagram:

Instagram Screenshot 1.pngInstagram Screenshot 2.pngInstagram Screenshot 3.png
    I had created a thread about the “Up to Date” notation on my estimate disappearing. A few others noted theirs had disappeared. Myself and another user also had a weird “ Retrieving your results” loading screen when we tried to load our estimates. Perhaps the photos you found are related to what we had noted. Fingers crossed we all start getting more specific areas!
    Last edited by euromutt; 04-19-2018 at 11:58 PM.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to euromutt For This Useful Post:

tomz (04-24-2018)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Omitted

Macedonia
    im curious to see if mine will change at all, or if these were sourced from previous communities. im currently a member of the 'greece, albania, turkey' community. i dont have a community for my sizeable eastern euro percentage, but my mom does, for 'north italy, croatia, bosnia i herzigovina', i'd be interested to see how a new balkan category (if it is new) would parse her results, or mine!

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to selectivememri For This Useful Post:

Mike_G (04-19-2018), tomz (04-24-2018)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Omitted

Macedonia
    also itd be cool if they could offer some specificity about the lower percentage trace regions, although i imagine thats more difficult.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to selectivememri For This Useful Post:

tomz (04-24-2018)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Omitted
    Nationality
    American

Italy France England
    Quote Originally Posted by selectivememri View Post
    im curious to see if mine will change at all, or if these were sourced from previous communities. im currently a member of the 'greece, albania, turkey' community. i dont have a community for my sizeable eastern euro percentage, but my mom does, for 'north italy, croatia, bosnia i herzigovina', i'd be interested to see how a new balkan category (if it is new) would parse her results, or mine!
    OP said they weren’t referring to Genetic Communties though. The regions themselves seem to be more specifically drilled down.

@laulei all of the photos showing the new regions on instagram are recent, so that’s a positive!

Registered Users
    Sex
    Omitted

Macedonia
    Quote Originally Posted by euromutt View Post
    OP said they weren’t referring to Genetic Communties though. The regions themselves seem to be more specifically drilled down.

@laulei all of the photos showing the new regions on instagram are recent, so that’s a positive!
    oh there it is, in the second sentence. i cant read apparently, thanks for the clarification! it'll be cool to see how people's results change once they roll these out!
    Last edited by selectivememri; 04-19-2018 at 11:57 PM.

Registered Users
    Sex
    Omitted
    Nationality
    American

Italy France England
    Hopefully we don’t have to wait too long, I’m chomping at the bit now after seeing proof.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to euromutt For This Useful Post:

selectivememri (04-20-2018), sktibo (04-21-2018)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Omitted
    Y-DNA
    Z372
    mtDNA
    J2b1a-T16311C!

Cornwall New Zealand
    Any idea when this update may happen? Mine is just the same.

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    White British
    Nationality
    British
    Y-DNA
    R1b (FGC5494)
    mtDNA
    Not tested

Good news but still no love for the British Isles. Living DNA/POBI have shown that it is perfectly possible to split out England, Wales, Scotland and NI by region so Ancestry should be able to do it at the national level if nothing else, especially considering how many British testers they have now.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Loderingo For This Useful Post:

kujira692 (04-20-2018)

Page 1 of 116 1231151101 ... LastLast