Thread: Is the Ethnicity Estimate getting an update? 2018

Registered Users
    Ethnicity
    Northern Ireland
    Nationality
    Northern Irish

Northern Ireland Ireland
    Quote Originally Posted by timberwolf View Post
    The old estimate said that. I once rang them and the customer rep thought about 1000 years. The new improved estimate may be closer in time frame to 500 years?

Certainly in receiving an estimate of 99% Isles I would think it is more hundreds then thousands of years.
    I have no idea. I was thinking it wasn’t that old.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Nqp15hhu For This Useful Post:

timberwolf (08-22-2018)

Gold Class Member
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    mixed European
    Nationality
    USA
    Y-DNA
    Dad: R1b/L21/DF63
    mtDNA
    K2b2

Interesting you have Irwins, Nqp -- did you ever watch these talks that James Irvine did at Genetic Genealogy Ireland about the Irvin/Irvine/Irwin, etc., project?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YMcBkz79wQM&t=39s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vvRBkYM1wQE&t=1161s

My memory is that the Scottish origin of at least a big portion of them was on the SW border of Scotland and nearby parts of England and likely lots of overlap between those areas and northern Ireland likely going back quite a ways (not just due to the Plantations).

I suspect that's really common.

Registered Users
    Ethnicity
    Northern Ireland
    Nationality
    Northern Irish

Northern Ireland Ireland
    Yes, I read the article on Irish Oriegenes.

I have some colonial American Irwin (or Irvin) matches on ancestry who go to Ayrshire but i’m not sure if this is my line.

My line is from County L’Derry and Ballymena before that.

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Irish
    Nationality
    Irish
    Y-DNA
    M222 (S588)
    mtDNA
    J1c3f

Ireland Australia Ireland County Tipperary
    Quote Originally Posted by Nqp15hhu View Post
    I thought it represents the last few thousand years? No?
    No. None of them do that. They are really geared for Americans looking at relatively recent ancestry. They are also based on what modern populations represent and not deep ancestry. This update is possible because they have increased the amount of populations and also their new algorithm reads longer stretches of your DNA at once, making it easier to identify regions you are from.

https://www.ancestry.co.uk/cs/dna-help/ethnicity/faq

The only way you would possibly find out if you have some other ancestry is to remove the Irish population and then compare your dna to other countries. This is my daughter's LivingDNA results and because they only have approx 8 Irish results in their database she comes out mostly British. I get a big lot of Northwest Scotland in my results on Livingdna.

Daughter's Livingdna results. This is what happens for an Irish person when they don't have a good Irish panel to compare your results to.

This is what LivingDNA says about Irish results.

If you have Irish ancestry but it is not inferred as strongly as expected: Unfortunately, due to the current limited number of Irish samples, we currently see many Irish people as a mixture of Ireland, Northern Ireland and South West Scotland, and North West Scotland. Many people will receive some English ancestry as well. This is “real” in the sense that the small Irish sample means that our method looks very far back into the past, perhaps 2000 years, and hence this accurately represents where your ancestors from that time have now spread out to live.
    Last edited by Jessie; 08-22-2018 at 04:04 AM.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jessie For This Useful Post:

msmarjoribanks (08-22-2018),  timberwolf (08-22-2018)

Gold Class Member
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    mixed European
    Nationality
    USA
    Y-DNA
    Dad: R1b/L21/DF63
    mtDNA
    K2b2

Also, Scottish ancestry is going to vary based on specific location, so you can't compare to Scottish posters and assume all Scots get 50/50. And we don't know what they all get post update.

Lots of mostly English posters previously got some Irish, Scottish, Welsh.

I personally estimate my Welsh + Scots-Irish at about 25% (probably a bit more Welsh, bit less Scots-Irish). LivingDNA puts me at 12.5% Welsh, with half of that from North Wales (which is reasonably consistent with my paper trail). My "Scots-Irish" seems not to have a lot of Irish names vs. those of other origins, although it's hard to say. I don't have any non "Scots-Irish" Irish.

I get 23% Ireland and Scotland. Much of that has to be Welsh and Scots-Irish that is originally Scottish.

Registered Users
    Ethnicity
    Northern Ireland
    Nationality
    Northern Irish

Northern Ireland Ireland
    It’s hard to tell. I’ve compared myself to some full Ulster Scots but a lot of them have had recent ancestry from GB like a g grandparent etc so that skews the results.

In certain areas of NI e.g Bangor there has been a recent flow (1900’s) of GB migration so that region will have differing results.

Whereas my area county L’derry had one early migration and then no more.

The poster above suggested a genealogist. I don’t know if that would work.
    Last edited by Nqp15hhu; 08-22-2018 at 04:04 AM.

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    German
    Nationality
    German

Germany Imperial
    Quote Originally Posted by Nqp15hhu View Post
    It’s hard to tell. I’ve compared myself to some full Ulster Scots but a lot of them have had recent ancestry from GB like a g grandparent etc so that skews the results.

In certain areas of NI e.g Bangor there has been a recent flow (1900’s) of GB migration so that region will have differing results.

Whereas my area county L’derry had one migration and then no more.
    It's going be really difficult to go with these ethnicity estimates to untangle the riddle. If all the people in the street I was born in did these tests, there'd be a good range of results anyway..so Ulster Scots are going to get different results, too. Sometimes even siblings with confirmed parentage get somewhat different results on these.

One of the things about the Irish south of the border is that they're not as clearly ethnically separate from the rest of the Isles as they sometimes like to think either. I always used to joke to my mates that the tall fellas are the ones with the Viking/Norman ancestors and the little fellas are the real Irish.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hammer For This Useful Post:

msmarjoribanks (08-22-2018),  sktibo (08-22-2018)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Métis
    Nationality
    Canadian
    Y-DNA
    R-Z198 (DF27)
    mtDNA
    T2B-T152C

Canada England Scotland Germany Poland France
    I'd like to see what would happen if Nqp took the living DNA test. I know it doesn't have much of an Irish panel but it would be interesting
    Last edited by sktibo; 08-22-2018 at 04:21 AM.
    Paper trail ancestry to the best of my knowledge:
    English (possibly containing some Welsh ancestry) 31.25%, Eastern European and Eastern German (Galicia, Poland) 25%, Scottish 17.96%, Scotch-Irish 12.5%, French 8.2%, Native American 1.95%, and Colonial American, 3.125%, which cannot be determined with complete certainty: there is Dutch (at least 1.36%) and some English. The rest could include Spanish, Norwegian, German, and French, but these percentages would be minuscule.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to sktibo For This Useful Post:

euromutt (08-22-2018)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Métis
    Nationality
    Canadian
    Y-DNA
    R-Z198 (DF27)
    mtDNA
    T2B-T152C

Canada England Scotland Germany Poland France
    Quote Originally Posted by msmarjoribanks View Post
    Also, Scottish ancestry is going to vary based on specific location, so you can't compare to Scottish posters and assume all Scots get 50/50. And we don't know what they all get post update.

Lots of mostly English posters previously got some Irish, Scottish, Welsh.

I personally estimate my Welsh + Scots-Irish at about 25% (probably a bit more Welsh, bit less Scots-Irish). LivingDNA puts me at 12.5% Welsh, with half of that from North Wales (which is reasonably consistent with my paper trail). My "Scots-Irish" seems not to have a lot of Irish names vs. those of other origins, although it's hard to say. I don't have any non "Scots-Irish" Irish.

I get 23% Ireland and Scotland. Much of that has to be Welsh and Scots-Irish that is originally Scottish.
    yeah, Scots are anywhere in between Ireland and northern England it seems.. A pretty wide range
    Paper trail ancestry to the best of my knowledge:
    English (possibly containing some Welsh ancestry) 31.25%, Eastern European and Eastern German (Galicia, Poland) 25%, Scottish 17.96%, Scotch-Irish 12.5%, French 8.2%, Native American 1.95%, and Colonial American, 3.125%, which cannot be determined with complete certainty: there is Dutch (at least 1.36%) and some English. The rest could include Spanish, Norwegian, German, and French, but these percentages would be minuscule.

Registered Users
    Ethnicity
    Northern Ireland
    Nationality
    Northern Irish

Northern Ireland Ireland
    Quote Originally Posted by Hammer View Post
    It's going be really difficult to go with these ethnicity estimates to untangle the riddle. If all the people in the street I was born in did these tests, there'd be a good range of results anyway..so Ulster Scots are going to get different results, too. Sometimes even siblings with confirmed parentage get somewhat different results on these.

One of the things about the Irish south of the border is that they're not as clearly ethnically separate from the rest of the Isles as they sometimes like to think either. I always used to joke to my mates that the tall fellas are the ones with the Viking/Norman ancestors and the little fellas are the real Irish.
    I suppose. We’ll just have to wait?

Are you sure? I’ve seen a lot on here with 100% Ireland. I think in some parts like Galway it would be hard to find people who weren’t 100% Irish.

Page 163 of 264 FirstFirst ... 63113153161162163164165173213263 ... LastLast