Results 2,601 to 2,610 of 2648

Thread: Is the Ethnicity Estimate getting an update? 2018

Registered Users
    Ethnicity
    Northern Ireland
    Nationality
    Northern Irish

Northern Ireland Ireland
    It’s possible that your ancestors moved to ni, and left after a Few years. In that case they wouldn’t really be Ulster Scots

Gold Member Class
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    mixed European
    Nationality
    USA
    Y-DNA
    Dad: R1b/L21/DF63
    mtDNA
    K2b2

I have a number who are pretty far back, but a couple who are more recent:

One who was born in around 1815-1820 and came to the US by around 1840, last name (Craney) seems to be uncommon but mostly associated with various places in Ulster and he was likely Protestant, but he's my big mystery ancestor. The only origin I have for him is "Ireland."

Another was born in 1810 and came over around 1830, later fought as an older man in the CW (for the Union), along with a few of his sons. His surname was Allen (which could be English or Scottish), and his mother's maiden name was Morewood, which seems English. From Antrim, Presbyterian.

Registered Users
    Ethnicity
    Northern Ireland
    Nationality
    Northern Irish

Northern Ireland Ireland
    As I said probably limited mixing.

Personally i’ve Noticed a wide range of figures for Ulster Scots people. The Ireland percentage ultimately seems to be based on how much English ancestry they have.

That’s an extremely amateur observation, but it is something i’ve noticed.

I live in an area that is bordered with heavily Scottish plantation to heavily English, to the south. It would be interesting to see what people in North Antrim got in the new algorithm as that would be an area devoid of much English plantation, unlike my area.

I must admit I only have two obvious English names in my tree though. All are Irish and Scottish lol.
    Last edited by Nqp15hhu; 12-20-2018 at 05:33 PM.

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Métis
    Nationality
    Canadian
    Y-DNA
    R-Z198 (DF27)
    mtDNA
    T2B-T152C

Canada England Scotland Germany Poland France
    Quote Originally Posted by msmarjoribanks View Post
    I hadn't noticed that (or hadn't been there since they added it). Very cool!

I started with my Scandinavian, where they had most recently said they couldn't tell from where. Now the test says (correctly) they they predict ancestors in Sweden in the past 200 years (in fact my gg grandparents came in 1889, and my g-grandmother was born in the US in 1899), and most excitingly my results say that of their 21 Swedish regions, they found evidence of my ancestry in:

1. Västra Götaland County -- this is where my gg-grandparents came from!
    2. Stockholm County
    3. Skåne County (even farther SW but not too far from Västra Götaland)

Going to the French/German results, they only find evidence of German, and of 16 regions find evidence of my ancestry in 2 regions, both reasonably consistent with what I know:

1. Baden-Württemberg
    2. North Rhine-Westphalia

When I look to UK/Ireland, I now have Irish back, as well as UK -- UK is highly likely, and Ireland is only possible. Of the 165 regions of the UK, my top 10 are:

1. Greater London -- likely too mixed to mean much, but I have somewhat recent ancestry from Essex, although in the country
    2. Greater Manchester -- also probably pretty mixed, but I wonder if it drew more from the Welsh border, the Midlands, etc., given location, as I have ancestors from Shropshire and northern and more central Wales, any many cousins who seem to have moved to more urban areas in the general region in the mid and late 1800s.
    3. Lancashire -- no specific knowledge beyond what is said re Manchester, but I do get generally this region at LivingDNA
    4. West Yorkshire -- no specific knowledge
    5. Merseyside -- consistent with LivingDNA and maybe the comments re Manchester and Lancashire
    6. Staffordshire -- next to Shropshire, where I do have relatively recent ancestors
    7. West Midlands -- see above, and also Welsh borders ancestry
    8. Glasgow City -- dunno, but I have Ulster, maybe some connection?
    9. Tyne and Wear -- dunno
    10. County Durham -- dunno

This misses my Welsh (which LivingDNA pegs), but I'll guess that Wales just does not have enough testers, and I do have more English than Welsh, although the Welsh is (mostly) more recent and I know where it's from exactly.

I'll note that a lot of my English ancestry is far enough back that I don't know, although I would have expected to see more East Anglia and southern based on paper and LivingDNA (although LivingDNA misses the German so that could be related).

Then for Ireland, where we are getting more sketchy, 26 regions, top 10 are:

1. County Mayo
    2. County Galway
    3. County Cork
    4. County Kerry
    5. County Monaghan
    6. County Dublin
    7. County Limerick
    8. County Donegal
    9. County Cavan
    10. County Tipperary

For what it's worth, the only places I know of ancestry from in Ireland are all absent: Antrim, Derry/Londonderry, and Armagh. But based on last names they easily could be showing as English or Scottish.
    How did you find or access this on 23andme?
    Paper trail ancestry to the best of my knowledge:
    English (possibly containing some Welsh ancestry) 31.25%, Eastern European and Eastern German (Galicia, Poland) 25%, Scottish 17.96%, Scotch-Irish 12.5%, French 8.2%, Native American 1.95%, and Colonial American, 3.125%, which cannot be determined with complete certainty: there is Dutch (at least 1.36%) and some English. The rest could include Spanish, Norwegian, German, and French, but these percentages would be minuscule.

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Romanised Paesuri
    Nationality
    Portuguese
    Y-DNA
    E-BY36857
    mtDNA
    H20

Portugal 1143 Portugal 1485 Portugal Order of Christ
    Quote Originally Posted by sktibo View Post
    It's only avaliable to a few people, my report was updated today but nothing changed, really. Same with the missus', but hers was updated about a week ago. You access this feature in your ancestry report -> scientific details. Each category should give you a clickable link which opens the map, like this
    Last edited by Ruderico; 12-21-2018 at 09:59 AM.
    YDNA - E-Y31991>PF4428>BY36857. Domingos Rodrigues, b. circa 1680 Hidden Content , Viana do Castelo, Portugal
    mtDNA - H20. Maria Josefa de Almeida, b. circa 1750 Hidden Content , Porto, Portugal

Global25 PCA West Eurasia dataset Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

[1] "distance%=1.7726"

Ruderico

Celtiberian,77.6
    Roman_Imperial_proxy,13.6
    Guanche,8.8

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ruderico For This Useful Post:

fostert (12-21-2018),  msmarjoribanks (12-21-2018),  sktibo (12-21-2018)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Romanised Paesuri
    Nationality
    Portuguese
    Y-DNA
    E-BY36857
    mtDNA
    H20

Portugal 1143 Portugal 1485 Portugal Order of Christ
    Quote Originally Posted by msmarjoribanks View Post
    For what it's worth, the only places I know of ancestry from in Ireland are all absent: Antrim, Derry/Londonderry, and Armagh. But based on last names they easily could be showing as English or Scottish.
    I guess that's the issue of the thing being (supposedly) based on cousin's grandparents's location, what you get is a map of places your distant relatives recent ancestors lived in, not where your ancestors actually might have come from

edit: sorry for the double post...oops
    YDNA - E-Y31991>PF4428>BY36857. Domingos Rodrigues, b. circa 1680 Hidden Content , Viana do Castelo, Portugal
    mtDNA - H20. Maria Josefa de Almeida, b. circa 1750 Hidden Content , Porto, Portugal

Global25 PCA West Eurasia dataset Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

[1] "distance%=1.7726"

Ruderico

Celtiberian,77.6
    Roman_Imperial_proxy,13.6
    Guanche,8.8

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Ruderico For This Useful Post:

msmarjoribanks (12-21-2018)

Gold Member Class
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    mixed European
    Nationality
    USA
    Y-DNA
    Dad: R1b/L21/DF63
    mtDNA
    K2b2

Quote Originally Posted by sktibo View Post
    It's a new beta feature (so not everyone has it). jshook mentioned it so I checked and had it. When I click on Ancestry Reports, it now shows me an overview page with "Your Ancestry in Detail" options for the three ancestry categories mentioned (British/Irish, French/German, and Scandinavian).

10. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to msmarjoribanks For This Useful Post:

chelle (12-21-2018),  JFWinstone (12-21-2018),  JMcB (12-21-2018),  PoxVoldius (12-21-2018),  Robert1 (12-21-2018),  sktibo (12-21-2018)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Geato-Saxon
    Y-DNA
    I-L22 -> P109
    mtDNA
    J1c5

Sweden Germany Imperial Scotland Northern Ireland Normandie
    Quote Originally Posted by Nqp15hhu View Post
    As I said probably limited mixing.

Personally i’ve Noticed a wide range of figures for Ulster Scots people. The Ireland percentage ultimately seems to be based on how much English ancestry they have.

That’s an extremely amateur observation, but it is something i’ve noticed.

I live in an area that is bordered with heavily Scottish plantation to heavily English, to the south. It would be interesting to see what people in North Antrim got in the new algorithm as that would be an area devoid of much English plantation, unlike my area.

I must admit I only have two obvious English names in my tree though. All are Irish and Scottish lol.
    This is basically what they determined from the Irish DNA Atlas study. IIRC they found 3 identifiable groups in the Ulster Scots that basically have variable proportions of Irish, English, and Scottish genes. They discuss it in this presentation: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6QjRHa7wASg

Registered Users
    Ethnicity
    Northern Ireland
    Nationality
    Northern Irish

Northern Ireland Ireland
    That’s right although I don’t know what the Ireland and Scotland category is composed of?

Registered Users
    Ethnicity
    Pred.Anglo-Saxon + Briton
    Nationality
    Canadian
    Y-DNA
    R1b S21184, BY50830+
    mtDNA
    U4b1a2 - FGS

Canada England Wales Netherlands France Cornwall
    I got my parents tested with this service as I was relatively pleased with the break down and the genetic communities, as well as finding closer connections with existing relatives. The only downside is there is no YDNA or mtDNA visible:

Mother results:

England, Wales, NW Europe : 95%
    Germanic Europe: 3%
    Norway: 2%

Communities: Southern England - SE England, East Anglia and Essex

Father results:

England, Wales, NW Europe : 67%
    Ireland and Scotland: 21%
    Sweden: 12%

Communities: Southern England - Devon and Cornwall

My results:

England, Wales, NW Europe : 74%
    Ireland and Scotland: 18%
    Germanic Europe: 8%

Communities: Southern England - Devon and Cornwall, SE England

The communities line up with my known ancestry, as well as the LivingDNA result output for UK regions. Unfortunately deeper ancestry is hard to determine since all my ancestry within the last 200 years is all from the same country, and even similar regions in that country on both sides of the family. Not sure if my father's "Sweden" signal is accurate, but I can confirm a 3rd cousin with my surname has Norway(12%), Sweden(2%), and Germanic Europe(5%) in his results. That "Wood" relative lacks the high Ireland and Scotland because he doesn't share the Cornish ancestry we have.
    YDNA: R1b-Z220 (A7066+) (1800's Stepney, London(Bethnal Green), UK George Wood b. 1782
    maternal-grandfather YDNA: prob. I1 Gurr, George 1843, Feversham, Kent, England.
    maternal-grandmother YDNA: R1b-P311+ Beech, John Richard b. 1780, Lewes, England
    maternal-ggrandfather YDNA R1b-U106 Thomas, Edward b 1854, Sittingbourne, Kent
    paternal-ggf YDNA: R1b-L48. Gould, John Somerset England 1800s.
    paternal-ggf YDNA: R1b-L48. Scott, William Hamilton mdka Ireland(?) < 1800s

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ADW_1981 For This Useful Post:

JonikW (01-13-2019),  kujira692 (01-14-2019),  msmarjoribanks (01-14-2019)

Page 261 of 265 FirstFirst ... 161211251259260261262263 ... LastLast