Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Celto-Germanic
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1b-Z49

England Wales Ireland Germany Imperial Netherlands

Beginner U152 prediction help

So I heard that you could predict Y-DNA through Ancestry.com/23andMe autosomal tests using some tools, such as MorleyDNA which seems to be down for me. So I tried another option, namely WeGene. The result I got back was R1b1a1a2a1a2b1, which apparently is U512 L2. Through searching I saw on an old post by the user "Ravai" that searching and finding:

rs2566671 Y 5755550 T

in the RAW DNA data confirms that one is L2, which indeed was there.

Does this mean I am U152 L2? Is there a way I can learn more or confirm further without testing?

Finally, my paternal line is Scottish, surname of Kerr/Carr/Ker. What does such a haplogroup entail for a Scottish descendant? It seems through some brief searching likely answers are La Tene Celts, Belgae, Franks/Flemish, etc. That said my surname is typically attributed a Norse origin and I noticed on some U152 map of Britain some people from Orkney and the Shetlands who are U152 positive. Does this mean my ancestor still could potentially be a Norse settler?

Thanks in advance for any help.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Gwydion For This Useful Post:

palamede (04-24-2018)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Nationality
    Italiana
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1b-L2+ZZ48+PF7600+
    mtDNA (M)
    H1e2

Italy
    As I have already said in another discussion, I think this is the best solution. At the lowest price you can identify the sub-group to which you belong:

https://www.yseq.net/product_info.ph...8b5b5a4a4ea97d

Quote Originally Posted by Gwydion View Post
    So I heard that you could predict Y-DNA through Ancestry.com/23andMe autosomal tests using some tools, such as MorleyDNA which seems to be down for me. So I tried another option, namely WeGene. The result I got back was R1b1a1a2a1a2b1, which apparently is U512 L2. Through searching I saw on an old post by the user "Ravai" that searching and finding:

rs2566671 Y 5755550 T

Does this mean I am U152 L2? Is there a way I can learn more or confirm further without testing?

Finally, my paternal line is Scottish, surname of Kerr/Carr/Ker. What does such a haplogroup entail for a Scottish descendant? It seems through some brief searching likely answers are La Tene Celts, Belgae, Franks/Flemish, etc. That said my surname is typically attributed a Norse origin and I noticed on some U152 map of Britain some people from Orkney and the Shetlands who are U152 positive. Does this mean my ancestor still could potentially be a Norse settler?

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Acque agitate For This Useful Post:

Gwydion (04-24-2018)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Y-DNA (P)
    U152>L2>Z49>Z142>
    mtDNA (M)
    H1bt
    Y-DNA (M)
    I2a2a1b2a1b1>Y4925
    mtDNA (P)
    H37

England Scotland Wales Germany Ireland Sweden Finns

rs2566671 Y 5755550 T

L2 is around 4500 years old and found in every Western and Central European country. The FTDNA U152 project has no Kerr or Carr members at present. If you take a FTDNA STR test I would encourage you to join the project.

There is one L2 member of the FTDNA Kerr/Carr project https://www.familytreedna.com/public...frame=yresults

Without further testing you just don't have enough info to draw any conclusions.
    Y DNA line continued: Z142>Z12222>FGC12378>FGC12401>FGC12384
    37% English, 26% Scot/Ulster Scot, 14% Welsh, 14% German, 3% Ireland, 3% Nordic, 2% French/Dutch, 1% India
    Hidden Content

6. The Following User Says Thank You to MitchellSince1893 For This Useful Post:

Gwydion (04-24-2018)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Celto-Germanic
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1b-Z49

Thanks for the replies, it seems I will have to look into further testing. That said does it seem based on the WeGene report and the presence of "rs2566671 Y 5755550 T" in my RAW data that I can have confidence that I am indeed U152 and L2?

In the meantime before I test further and get my results, are there any other known means by which I can confirm or find out more about the Y-DNA prediction? As noted the Morley DNA site seems down, but I saw other tools such as Nevgen, etc. in my search. I (or rather my father) tested with Ancestry.com's DNA and I have the RAW data converted to 23andMe format if that helps.

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Eng./Irish/German/French
    Nationality
    USA
    Y-DNA (P)
    R-S42, CTS7197
    mtDNA (M)
    J2b1a

United States of America United Kingdom Ireland Germany France
    You can't use Nevgen without STR results, which you will receive with a Y-DNA test. FTDNA currently has a decent sale going on until the 28th. I would recommend at least the Y-67 test which is on sale for $209 plus shipping. That's $59 off. For 80 more dollars, you can do the Y-111 test. There are better sales sometimes, but you may have to wait till Christmas.

Once you receive your results, you can join the U152 project and they will place you with your closest matches in the project. You will also be able to see your matches on FTDNA. You will then be able to use Nevgen to help you decide what other testing you might want to do to find your terminal SNP. Be aware that you are not going to find your terminal SNP with the Y-67 or Y-111 tests. That is only a start.

When I tested at 23andme, I received the same prediction using the tool 23andme to YSNPs.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to kw5368 For This Useful Post:

Gwydion (04-24-2018)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Nationality
    Italiana
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1b-L2+ZZ48+PF7600+
    mtDNA (M)
    H1e2

Italy
    Personally I think it is much more useful to run the "R1b-U152 Superclade Panel" that Yseq proposes at the modest sum of € 90 ($ 99). Once this test is performed, a person knows exactly the position he occupies in the U152 tree without needing any forecaster.
    If this person wants to know their STR, Yseq offers the same test at a lower cost than the one proposed by FtDna.
    The Y 37 test costs $ 85 with Yseq ("YSEQ-Alpha-Beta"), while FtDna normally charges $ 169, so it's about double (until April 28th the price is reduced to $ 139 which is always higher than 64% to that of Yseq).
    What FtDna has in addition to Yseq is the possibility to participate in the Project R1b-U152, but this possibility is not free, as it is easy to infer from the comparison of the prices that I have highlighted above.
    The choice is not automatic because each person has different needs. Anyone who prefers to participate in FtDna's projects is right to perform the test at this company. The important thing is to make a conscious choice ....

Quote Originally Posted by kw5368 View Post
    You can't use Nevgen without STR results, which you will receive with a Y-DNA test. FTDNA currently has a decent sale going on until the 28th. I would recommend at least the Y-67 test which is on sale for $209 plus shipping. That's $59 off. For 80 more dollars, you can do the Y-111 test. There are better sales sometimes, but you may have to wait till Christmas.

Once you receive your results, you can join the U152 project and they will place you with your closest matches in the project. You will also be able to see your matches on FTDNA. You will then be able to use Nevgen to help you decide what other testing you might want to do to find your terminal SNP. Be aware that you are not going to find your terminal SNP with the Y-67 or Y-111 tests. That is only a start.

When I tested at 23andme, I received the same prediction using the tool 23andme to YSNPs.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Acque agitate For This Useful Post:

Gwydion (04-25-2018),  kw5368 (04-25-2018)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Celto-Germanic
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1b-Z49

I would probably rather choose the most economical option at this time, though I've been interested in the Carr FTDNA project so testing there will likely be in the future as well. I assume then based on the readings on my data and posts by others that it is at least certain that I am U152 L2+? I suppose I would like to be sure before testing at Yseq for the "R1b-U152 Superclade Panel."

That aside, I realize this may be an amateur question but in regards to Scandinavian L2 and its possible connection to Scotland, would its presence in Scandinavia likely predate or postdate the Hallstat/La Tene periods? In other words is it known whether U152 was already present in Scandinavia during say the Nordic Bronze Age or is it more likely the result of U152 entering from further south at a later date? Perhaps both?

Thanks again.

Registered Users
    Sex

I assume then based on the readings on my data and posts by others that it is at least certain that I am U152 L2+? I suppose I would like to be sure before testing at Yseq for the "R1b-U152 Superclade Panel."
    You could always get an individual test of U152 at https://www.yseq.net/product_info.php?products_id=4871 or L2 at https://www.yseq.net/product_info.php?products_id=10945

They are only $18 each

14. The Following User Says Thank You to ArmandoR1b For This Useful Post:

Gwydion (04-25-2018)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Eng./Irish/German/French
    Nationality
    USA
    Y-DNA (P)
    R-S42, CTS7197
    mtDNA (M)
    J2b1a

United States of America United Kingdom Ireland Germany France
    Quote Originally Posted by Acque agitate View Post
    Personally I think it is much more useful to run the "R1b-U152 Superclade Panel" that Yseq proposes at the modest sum of € 90 ($ 99). Once this test is performed, a person knows exactly the position he occupies in the U152 tree without needing any forecaster.
    If this person wants to know their STR, Yseq offers the same test at a lower cost than the one proposed by FtDna.
    The Y 37 test costs $ 85 with Yseq ("YSEQ-Alpha-Beta"), while FtDna normally charges $ 169, so it's about double (until April 28th the price is reduced to $ 139 which is always higher than 64% to that of Yseq).
    What FtDna has in addition to Yseq is the possibility to participate in the Project R1b-U152, but this possibility is not free, as it is easy to infer from the comparison of the prices that I have highlighted above.
    The choice is not automatic because each person has different needs. Anyone who prefers to participate in FtDna's projects is right to perform the test at this company. The important thing is to make a conscious choice ....
    I agree with Acque agitate. If you are wanting to find your terminal SNP, Yseq is the way to go for less money. I used them to find my terminal SNP, but I had prior knowledge of what I was looking for. If you go for the STR test at Yseq, you still might be able to add your results to the U152 project. I would ask the admins prior to testing though. This might be something that MitchellSince1893 can answer.

As I said before, Y-DNA testing at FTDNA will not give you your terminal SNP. Most likely, they will not even assign you as being L2. This forces you to buy more sub panels. When I was trying to confirm my relationship to a living descendent of an ancient ancestor, I opted for the Y37 test for him at FTDNA and then purchased the sub panel that I was sure he would be included in. Total cost about $300, but it was worth it to me to confirm our relationship. Your cost could be much less by purchasing the Superclad Panel, then purchasing individual SNPs if needed. You might not be able to join the projects at FTDNA though.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to kw5368 For This Useful Post:

Gwydion (04-25-2018)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Italo-Celtic
    Nationality
    Spain
    Y-DNA (P)
    U152>L2>BY3485
    mtDNA (M)
    H65

Italy Spain Andalucia
    With yseq the cost is lower but it will not be able to sign part of the FTDNA projects, nor will it contribute anything to the finding of new terminal SNPs, but it will benefit the investment of others without contributing anything new to the cause. The best option for me is BigY from FTDNA. A payment and to wait for your tree to grow little by little.

Regards
    Paternal: R1b-U152+ L2+ BY4245+ BY3485+ BY3478+ , Giovanni Domenicus Rabai, b. 1609, Savona, Italy
    Maternal: Haplogroup H65, María García Martínez, b. 1746, Cuenca, Spain

Manuel David Rabaez 1974, Manuel Rabaez 1948, Manuel Rabaez 1912, Antonio Rabay 1868, Antonio Rabay 1833, Manuel Rabay 1791, Manuel Rabay 1764, Pedro Rabai 1727, Pedro Joseph Rabai 1691, Giovanni Battista Rabai 1647, Jo. Domenicus Rabai 1609, Pietrus Rabai (work in progress...)

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Ravai For This Useful Post:

Gwydion (04-25-2018)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast