Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: GEDmatch regular vs. genesis, your opinion...

Registered Users
    Sex
    Nationality
    Scottish
    mtDNA
    J1c8 / L1b

Scotland England
    Quote Originally Posted by JerryS. View Post
    only one that I know of has signed up with regular and genesis but they are like a 3rd or 4th cousin....
    I mean the one to many, mine are very strange...

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    North & Ionian Seas
    Nationality
    American

England Italy Germany Scotland
    Quote Originally Posted by Ais View Post
    I mean the one to many, mine are very strange...
    only one is on the genesis, I posted his stuff. the rest are only genesis matches, not regular. there might be some more but I don't know who any of them are.

Registered Users
    Sex
    Nationality
    Scottish
    mtDNA
    J1c8 / L1b

Scotland England
    only one is on the genesis, I posted his stuff. the rest are only genesis matches, not regular. there might be some more but I don't know who any of them are.
    What do you mean by 'the rest are only genesis matches'? I had assumed it was basically the same as regular gedmatch one to many, is it markedly different? I imagine it must be, since my matches are pretty strange in comparison.

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    North & Ionian Seas
    Nationality
    American

What do you mean by 'the rest are only genesis matches'? I had assumed it was basically the same as regular gedmatch one to many, is it markedly different? I imagine it must be, since my matches are pretty strange in comparison.
    I signed in to GEDmatch using the regular method. I had to sign up for a separate genesis account but it used my same raw data for the profile. some for profit dna test companies can only load raw data on GEDmatch with the genesis program.

Registered Users
    Sex
    Nationality
    Scottish
    mtDNA
    J1c8 / L1b

Scotland England
    I signed in to GEDmatch using the regular method. I had to sign up for a separate genesis account but it used my same raw data for the profile. some for profit dna test companies can only load raw data on GEDmatch with the genesis program.
    No, I mean is the genesis one to many the same as the regular gedmatch one to many? I checked my cousin matches on genesis, and they are very strange!

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    North & Ionian Seas
    Nationality
    American

No, I mean is the genesis one to many the same as the regular gedmatch one to many? I checked my cousin matches on genesis, and they are very strange!
    the one to many wont be the same if the matches on the regular list haven't loaded their data to a genesis profile.

Registered Users
    Sex
    Nationality
    Scottish
    mtDNA
    J1c8 / L1b

Scotland England
    the one to many wont be the same if the matches on the regular list haven't loaded their data to a genesis profile.
    My regular match list is largely Northwest European names, but my genesis match list, whilst still having a lot of NW European, has a weird amount of Eastern European names on it, some Italian and Central/South American names, and some Middle Eastern names as well.

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Mixed
    Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA
    R1a-L260
    mtDNA
    H1

Russian Federation United Kingdom Finland Germany Ukraine Iran
    My regular match list is largely Northwest European names, but my genesis match list, whilst still having a lot of NW European, has a weird amount of Eastern European names on it, some Italian and Central/South American names, and some Middle Eastern names as well.
    Make sure you actually do the one to one comparison. You will find that many of them are not really matches.

Registered Users
    Sex
    Nationality
    Scottish
    mtDNA
    J1c8 / L1b

Scotland England
    Quote Originally Posted by Mixed View Post
    Make sure you actually do the one to one comparison. You will find that many of them are not really matches.
    I have been, and I've noticed something interesting - these genesis cousins sometimes have far fewer SNP matches. For example:

Cousin 1: 13.1cM / 537 SNPs
    Cousin 2: 8.3cM / 241 SNPs

I would say there's a good chance I'm related to Cousin 1, but I'm not so sure about Cousin 2. Am I right in thinking that matching on so few SNPs means it's likely you're not related?

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Mixed
    Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA
    R1a-L260
    mtDNA
    H1

Russian Federation United Kingdom Finland Germany Ukraine Iran
    I have been, and I've noticed something interesting - these genesis cousins sometimes have far fewer SNP matches. For example:

Cousin 1: 13.1cM / 537 SNPs
    Cousin 2: 8.3cM / 241 SNPs

I would say there's a good chance I'm related to Cousin 1, but I'm not so sure about Cousin 2. Am I right in thinking that matching on so few SNPs means it's likely you're not related?
    Their system is supposed to be designed to keep it between 200 and 400 SNPs. But I think sometimes the match is of such good quality it goes outside those boundaries. You also have to consider overlap. I have several kits uploaded. Living DNA does not test as many SNPs as the other services. For example my 23&me kit matches on the 1st Chromosome of my Living DNA kit at one position at 7.0 cM at 303 SNPs. I know I am related to myself so it is not as complicated as some like to make it. So there is good chance you are related to both.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast