Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA
    R1b>P312>DF27>Z2573
    mtDNA
    H11a

United States of America California Republic

Sacramento's East Side Rapist

This used to be on the news a lot in California, the East Side or East Area Rapist. It appears he's been caught now using DNA comparisons: http://fox40.com/2018/04/25/former-a...a-rapist-case/

I have a lot of comments, but I'll save them. DeAngelo deserves a fair trial but the fact that he's an ex-police officer, combined with all the negative press that the nation's law enforcement agencies are experiencing now, is really going to hit him hard. No idea where he can get a change of venue to, but I doubt if he can get his trial out of California. Worse luck for him.

We really have to hope that CODIS is reliable. It's not the same science as that which Family Tree uses, but DNA Consultants and DNA Tribes are two that market commercial autosomal tests using CODIS markers. I'll save my comments for later.
    "Bid me discourse, I will enchant thine ear..."

Gold Class Member
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Proto-Algorithm Changling
    Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA
    R1b>P312>DF27>Z2573
    mtDNA
    H11a

"Authorities used DNA...website to track down ‘Golden State Killer’ suspect"

This is worthy of a post of it's own rather than edit the original post. The East Area Rapist was caught by law enforcement using information from a commercial genealogy and DNA company's customers' results: https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.5765d367f8eb

I mean that's good, that's solid, responsible police work that brought down one horrendously prolific criminal. But, of course that's always going to reopen the debate of what and who has access to a person's DNA once he or she has sent spit in for analysis. "Familial DNA," a couple of results: https://criminal.findlaw.com/crimina...-searches.html and https://www.wired.com/2015/10/famili...rime-suspects/ and http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/l...nap-story.html and so on.

But which company did the police use this time? Wasn't 23andMe or Ancestry.com, according to those two companies. Maybe something like DNA Consultants or DNA Tribes that use CODIS for consumer autosomal tests. Probably not, though, as CODIS results aren't anywhere near as conclusive as the tests given by Family Tree.

Hmm, Family Tree...

Gold Member Class
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    7/8 European,1/8 Hawaiian
    Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA
    R-L2>BY3493>BY4242
    mtDNA
    H3h

United States of America Germany Italy Azores Slovakia Hawaii
    There was a guy here early last month claiming to be a news reporter who had some STR results he said a policeman gave him that came from a killer. He was asking for advice on how he could use them to catch the guy. Around Mar 5. Oddly enough I can't find the thread anymore.

Hmm indeed.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Osiris For This Useful Post:

curiousII (04-27-2018),  slievenamon (04-28-2018)

Gold Class Member
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA
    R1b>P312>DF27>Z2573
    mtDNA
    H11a

Quote Originally Posted by Osiris View Post
    Hmm indeed.
    Nope, GEDmatch! https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.022db910b84d

I posted this in the "Medical Genetics" forum, I'm going to put it here, too. It popped up in one of the Family Tree projects right after DeAngelo hit the press, and, though it's a wonderful offer from Promethease, it couldn't be worse timing. I've already uploaded my Family Finder autosomal to their site, found out so far I'm light-skinned with normal body odor and have wet, yellow ear wax. I guess there's other important things in there but since they analyze thousands of SNPs it'll take me a while to get past my ear wax.

Unless I just got some unknown cousin of mine busted for something I know nothing about and he/she comes gunning for me. I'll grease the floor with my ear wax, he'll fall and drop his gun, maybe.

NOTE that this is considering your genes in terms of your inherited health!

On the occasion of DNA Day, Promethease is providing full reports for free for a limited time.

Upload your DNA data now to receive free reports.

We now have improved infrastructure in place that allows you to upload your data once and then generate updated reports free of charge. This change, together with the current offer, means you can get Promethease reports for free now and in the future. If you are already using Promethease, you can take advantage of this offer to upload additional DNA data files you may be managing.

Please help us spread the word by telling your friends and relatives about this special Promethease offer via your favorite social media channels.

As a Promethease user you're probably familiar with the value of getting updated reports from time to time. SNPedia's content, upon which Promethease reports are based, doubles almost every year, and Promethease's interface is always improving to enable better searching, filtering and exporting options.

With our new infrastructure we have begun the process of using de-identified stored data to better assess the accuracy of the raw data produced by different companies. This will also allow us to provide (and publish) a truly independent assessment of true vs. false data (i.e. miscalls) in future Promethease reports and to add new features.

If you already have an account, you can see your previous uploads at this page.

To upload DNA data for free, follow the simple steps below:
    Go to https://www.promethease.com
    If it's your first time, you will see a disclaimer. Check all the checkboxes and click "I agree".
    Click "Upload raw data" or "Import from 23andMe.com".
    When prompted, click the "Create free report" button.
    If you want to get free updates in the future, keep the storage option enabled. This will allow us to save your data and generate updated reports for you.
    Pick a password for your account, then click "Begin Analysis".
    Wait about 5 minutes to receive your first report.

From then on, you'll be able to visit Promethease.com whenever you want, login to your account, and generate up-to-date reports for free. You can also delete your stored DNA data from the same page at any time.

It's as easy as that.

Get started at https://www.promethease.com

This offer expires on May 10, 2018.

Have more questions? Check out the FAQs.

Sincerely,

Mike Cariaso & Greg Lennon

6. The Following User Says Thank You to curiousII For This Useful Post:

Osiris (04-28-2018)

Gold Member Class
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    7/8 European,1/8 Hawaiian
    Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA
    R-L2>BY3493>BY4242
    mtDNA
    H3h

United States of America Germany Italy Azores Slovakia Hawaii
    Quote Originally Posted by curiousII View Post
    Then it must have been some other case being researched. If adoptees can find biological family through DNA and police can find suspects through the DNA clues they left. Although unidentified bodies might also be identified. There was a case a year or so ago here where they found a bag containing the fingers of a small child they estimated were abandoned in 2005. They had no clue who they belonged too.

I wonder how this will shake out in the next few years. Interesting time.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Osiris For This Useful Post:

curiousII (04-28-2018)

Gold Class Member
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA
    R1b>P312>DF27>Z2573
    mtDNA
    H11a

Quote Originally Posted by Osiris View Post
    I wonder how this will shake out in the next few years. Interesting time.
    Right, and I bet that'll turn out to be a real understatement.

Gail said on Family Tree that Promethease is "...not a public website, unlike say Gedmatch." I'm certain she's right, but I also know that Family Tree customers who are members of certain projects have their DNA results on the Web that can be accessed by the general public. The Big Tree does, too, and all you need is the corresponding FTDNA kit number to match things up. I'm sure that's not hard to do for an experienced (or amateur, actually) hack to do.

This is going to get interesting and no telling how it'll affect DNA company's practices. Right after Family Tree's Y500 got posted, too. This is all really coincidental.

Registered Users
    Sex
    Omitted
    Ethnicity
    European
    Nationality
    USA
    Y-DNA
    R-A1487
    mtDNA
    H

Austria Hungary Ireland United States of America
    Scottsdale, Arizona recently solved a cold case through familial DNA. Medical Examiners routinely identify bodies with forensic DNA. A Project member found an unknown sister. Sixty plus years - no knowledge of each other. Their family's are over the moon. The same discovery can cause unnecessary family disruption. It's all becoming commonplace.

Shared your Promethease post with Project members. Thanks for that. The timing is not the best. Agreed. What can you do? The onus is on each of us to protect our DNA, as best we can. We may have more transparency now, regarding the use of public DNA. More awareness. This use has been going on for some time, as Osiris intimated.

DNA has certainly changed the privacy landscape. Interesting times, indeed!
    390=21
    459a/b=9/9
    YCA II a/b=22/23
    557=15
    572=10
    DF23-, L1066-, L21+, M153-, M222-, M269+, M37-, M65-, P312+, P66-, SRY2627-, U106-, U152-, Z253-

11. The Following User Says Thank You to slievenamon For This Useful Post:

curiousII (04-28-2018)

Gold Class Member
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA
    R1b>P312>DF27>Z2573
    mtDNA
    H11a

Quote Originally Posted by slievenamon View Post
    The onus is on each of us to protect our DNA, as best we can. We may have more transparency now, regarding the use of public DNA. More awareness. This use has been going on for some time, as Osiris intimated.

DNA has certainly changed the privacy landscape. Interesting times, indeed!
    Seriously, you have to read this one: http://www.sacbee.com/latest-news/article209958794.html

"While most consumers would submit DNA to a commercial company such as Ancestry.com and 23andMe to create a genetic profile, the FBI did so for investigators...The profile was then uploaded to GEDmatch using a fake profile and pseudonym, the Times reported. The site allows users to remain anonymous."

"Fake profile and pseudonym." You understand what that does to consumers who are trying to research their families? Orphans and adoptees trying to find out who their biological families are? I'm sure you do, no need for a rant on my part.

Both paper and genetic trails are jokes now, we're simply buffoons wasting our money on a "science" that could cause our true bloodlines to end. Honestly, this is passive genocide. We sacrifice our privacy and personal information in the hopes of finding the unconditional love that a biological family is supposed to afford one another, but we're derailed by totalitarian police tactics that cause us to sacrifice relatives we don't and won't ever know. If the DNA profile that was uploaded to GEDmatch is false, then how do we know the actual results are valid? It's all a mockery.

Family Tree and YSearch are both mentioned in the article, and both deny any knowledge of what went on. We're defenseless. And we're even more alone now than we were when we sent in our spit.

I have some spit for people now.

So you can walk down the street, spit on the side walk and moments later a pedestrian is stabbed and falls on your saliva, picks it up on her skin. The coppers see the saliva on the skin, assume it was either her's or her killer's and then 20 years later, you provided DNA to a testing company and...

This is assuming no political takedowns occur. For instance, Russian Senator wants to defund the FSB of Russia. Putin disagrees, Senator's DNA is in public. FSB says his DNA tests positive to an old murder case. "Hey, it's on TV, so you have to believe that the Russian Senator is the killer".

This is Orwellian.

So are they wanting people to only test dying male relatives, so the alive ones don't have to be paranoid about sending in their DNA samples.
    Last edited by Messier 67; 04-29-2018 at 02:57 AM.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Messier 67 For This Useful Post:

curiousII (04-29-2018)

Gold Class Member
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA
    R1b>P312>DF27>Z2573
    mtDNA
    H11a

Quote Originally Posted by Messier 67 View Post
    So you can walk down the street, spit on the side walk and moments later a pedestrian is stabbed and falls on your saliva, picks it up on her skin. The coppers see the saliva on the skin, assume it was either her's or her killer's and then 20 years later, you provided DNA to a testing company and...
    Great analogy, I had to read that a couple of times. Perhaps I'll save my spit.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast