Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Sacramento's East Side Rapist

There should be a movement to prevent DNA testing being used in the criminal-justice system. Also a movement to prevent health insurance companies from denying people based on DNA testing.

This should only be for consumer use.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Messier 67 For This Useful Post:

curiousII (04-29-2018)

Gold Class Member
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Proto-Algorithm Changling
    Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1b>P312>DF27>Z2573
    mtDNA (M)
    H11a

United States of America California Republic
    Quote Originally Posted by Messier 67 View Post
    There should be a movement to prevent DNA testing being used in the criminal-justice system. Also a movement to prevent health insurance companies from denying people based on DNA testing.

This should only be for consumer use.
    You know, it's hard to describe your feelings if and when you find out you've been duped by a DNA company. It's almost like an ultimate betrayal, you look to find who you are and what sort of family you came from and instead you find you've been played for a fool by some Craigslist killer who's figured out how to infest sites like GEDmatch or YSearch. Then, you fall prey not only for that perp but to the police chasing him.

That would be quite a bit of pain. What kind of movement or group could salve that hurt? In many ways it's too late now, a great damage has already taken place. But you're right, this example cannot but set some kind of precautions and safeguards in motion with these genetic testing companies. It's always too late, though, some tragedy always has to happen first.

And, can't lose sight of the EAR's victims in our self-pity. Or my self-pity, anyway, having to remember to speak for myself and my wallet which I've emptied into DNA tests. DeAngelo's fair trial is vital now to many who'd consider themselves uninvolved parties.
    "Bid me discourse, I will enchant thine ear..."

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Danish/German/British
    Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA (P)
    R-S11493
    mtDNA (M)
    K1a4a1
    Y-DNA (M)
    R U106

Denmark Germany United Kingdom
    How are we duped? By our own stupidity. Don't sign up for this if you can't handle the outcome.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to uintah106 For This Useful Post:

curiousII (04-29-2018),  Táltos (05-01-2018)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Danish/German/British
    Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA (P)
    R-S11493
    mtDNA (M)
    K1a4a1
    Y-DNA (M)
    R U106

If your relative is a murderer ,good got him.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to uintah106 For This Useful Post:

Táltos (05-01-2018)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Danish/German/British
    Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA (P)
    R-S11493
    mtDNA (M)
    K1a4a1
    Y-DNA (M)
    R U106

I'm not afraid

9. The Following User Says Thank You to uintah106 For This Useful Post:

Táltos (05-01-2018)

Gold Class Member
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1b>P312>DF27>Z2573
    mtDNA (M)
    H11a

Quote Originally Posted by uintah106 View Post
    How are we duped? By our own stupidity. Don't sign up for this if you can't handle the outcome.
    In a way, you're right. Genetic testing is still a new science, new discoveries all the time and bound to be a lot of surprises. But in America, at least, we're supposed to at least have a small sense of privacy and security left to us. Age of the Internet and Google has taken a lot of that from us but apparently those in control of things believe the sacrifice of privacy is a fair trade for all the technology we have given to us via the Internet.

Something as discordant as what just happened with GEDmatch brings it home to us, in a way. Genetic fingerprints are new to us just as much as our physical fingerprinting by law enforcement was in 1892, or when mug shots were invented in the 1880's. Usually the criminals protest the loudest when new police science is invented. This time, I don't know, it seems like a lot of innocents might suffer damage along the way.

Gold Class Member
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1b>P312>DF27>Z2573
    mtDNA (M)
    H11a

Warrants? We Don't Need No Stinkin' Badges!

Warrants or subponeas to access GEDmatch? They say they don't need no stinkin' warrants!

This video is so versatile, I use it everywhere.

Gold Class Member
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    British and Irish
    Nationality
    USA
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1b-DF41>FGC36981
    mtDNA (M)
    U5a2c3a
    Y-DNA (M)
    R1b-DF27>DF83
    mtDNA (P)
    K1a1a

Wales Ireland Scotland France Bretagne England Switzerland
    So you can walk down the street, spit on the side walk and moments later a pedestrian is stabbed and falls on your saliva, picks it up on her skin. The coppers see the saliva on the skin, assume it was either her's or her killer's and then 20 years later, you provided DNA to a testing company and...
    How likely is that? And how likely would such a scenario be to convince a jury beyond a reasonable doubt (the standard in criminal cases)? But a serial criminal whose dna shows up at multiple crime scenes? He must have spit on a lot of sidewalks where rape/murder victims just happened to fall.

This is assuming no political takedowns occur. For instance, Russian Senator wants to defund the FSB of Russia. Putin disagrees, Senator's DNA is in public. FSB says his DNA tests positive to an old murder case. "Hey, it's on TV, so you have to believe that the Russian Senator is the killer".

This is Orwellian.

So are they wanting people to only test dying male relatives, so the alive ones don't have to be paranoid about sending in their DNA samples.
    If you fall afoul of Putin, you think he needs to go to the trouble of building a dna case against you?

Let's face it, any unscrupulous person in a position of real power is dangerous, dna or no dna.
    Last edited by rms2; 04-29-2018 at 12:08 PM.

Hidden Content

Y-DNA: R1b-L21> DF13> Z39589> DF41> FGC5572> BY168> BY166> FGC36974> FGC36982> FGC36981

Additional Data:
    Lactase Persistent:
    rs4988235 AA (13910 TT)
    rs182549 TT (22018 AA)

Red Hair Carrier:
    Arg160Trp+ (rs1805008 T) aka R160W

Dad's mtDNA: K1a1a

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to rms2 For This Useful Post:

Megalophias (04-29-2018),  Táltos (05-01-2018),  uintah106 (05-02-2018)

Gold Class Member
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1b>P312>DF27>Z2573
    mtDNA (M)
    H11a

Ever try to match up your GEDmatch kit with ancient DNA uploads there? I have, there's a couple of threads here that speak of it and how easy it is to upload a fossil's file (post #268): https://anthrogenica.com/showthread....058#post386058

I post on that thread and I've compared my results "One-to-one" with ancient DNA files there. Lots of fun if not all too accurate as you have to lower the thresholds to 50/3 to get results. Did that with the Tollense Battle thread until some killjoy came along and said it's all irrelevant.

But see how so many things can be affected now with this bust? Even uploading ancient autosomal DNA by Anthrogenica citizen-scientists; in theory all that could come to an end now.

Gold Class Member
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    7/8 European,1/8 Hawaiian
    Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA (P)
    R-L2>BY4242-Germany
    mtDNA (M)
    H3h-Germany
    Y-DNA (M)
    E-FT41362-Azores, Pt
    mtDNA (P)
    W6a-Slovakia

United States of America Germany Italy Azores Slovakia Hawaii
    There are a lot of feasible DNA pitfalls that investigators should make sure to avoid. There was an interesting episode of Elementary early on where the killer left blood behind that matches an innocent man because the killer had undergone a bone marrow transplant and the innocent guy was the donor. Also cases where a son isn't the biological son of a couple due to switched at hospital which could point investigators in the completely wrong direction.

What I'd hope for is just some ethical guidelines on how to handle cases where you have DNA and want to use it to find the family of the perpetrator to narrow in on the guilty party. I'm worried we'll see some poorly thought out over reactions written into the law when I don't think that's really necessary.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Osiris For This Useful Post:

curiousII (04-30-2018)

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast