Thread: E-M5021, pretty lost in translation..

Sex

Question E-M5021, pretty lost in translation..

Hi guys,

First of all, this is a great forum, i learned a lot but maybe too much information for a newbie like me!

I ran a genetic test on 23andme, and found out that :
    - My Paternal Haplogroup : E-M5021 (a sub group of M215?) : I couln't find much online, and on the several forums I heard different comments (maybe it's V13, or sth else).
    - My Maternal Haplogroup is : J2b1

I don't know my mum's family background or history, but my dad's family say that they belong to a Sahara Tribe (North Africa morocco, that came originally from Yemen (South West Asia)).

Any useful insights? interesting links or information?

Oh i also uploaded my data on GedMatch, i am basically (depending on models) : 50 to 60% North African, 20 to 30% West African/South West Asia (around southern egypt/ethopia/somalia/Yemen probably).

Thank you guys !

Registered Users
    Ethnicity
    Mountain Jew
    Y-DNA (P)
    E-Z21420
    mtDNA (M)
    J2b1f
    Y-DNA (M)
    G-M3302

Israel United States of America Russia Imperial
    E-M5021 is a prehistoric haplogroup and is found among many different ethnicities, including Greeks, Jews from the Caucasus, Afghanis, Ethiopians and others. It is separate from V13.

J2b1 can be broken into two: clusters a through d have only been found in Europe. J2b1f has been found in about 60% of Mountain Jews, in Armenians, a Syrian and a Lebanese. J2b1e has also been found in Lebanon. So to find a more specific answer you would need a full mtDNA sequence, which is expensive and I'd rather spend the money on a Y-DNA test.
    Last edited by AbdoNumen; 05-08-2018 at 05:02 AM.
    "To know nothing of what happened before you were born is to remain forever a child" ― Marcus Tullius Cicero

3. The Following User Says Thank You to AbdoNumen For This Useful Post:

Targum (08-07-2019)

Sex

Quote Originally Posted by dudeissick View Post
    Hi guys,

First of all, this is a great forum, i learned a lot but maybe too much information for a newbie like me!

I ran a genetic test on 23andme, and found out that :
    - My Paternal Haplogroup : E-M5021 (a sub group of M215?) : I couln't find much online, and on the several forums I heard different comments (maybe it's V13, or sth else).
    - My Maternal Haplogroup is : J2b1

I don't know my mum's family background or history, but my dad's family say that they belong to a Sahara Tribe (North Africa morocco, that came originally from Yemen (South West Asia)).

Any useful insights? interesting links or information?

Oh i also uploaded my data on GedMatch, i am basically (depending on models) : 50 to 60% North African, 20 to 30% West African/South West Asia (around southern egypt/ethopia/somalia/Yemen probably).

Thank you guys !
    Hello,

my greatgrandfather has E-M5021. Where do you live? I live in Germany. But the looking from this part of my family is exotic. Black haar and eyes.

Best regards
    Helena

Registered Users

As far as I know PF1532/M5021 is an equivalent of E-M35. Not sure why 23andme does not use M35 which is the standard SNP for this node. Suggest you look at the E-M35 project at FTDNA or at the Haplozone for more information.