Poll: Geographical location of great grand parents?

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What region of South Asia do you trace your ancestry to?

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Pothwari/Punjabi
    Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA (P)
    R-Y7
    mtDNA (M)
    R30b

United States of America Pakistan

What region of South Asia do you trace your ancestry to?

Based on your paper trail so far, where in South Asia (geographically) can you trace your paternal and maternal ancestry. It would be great if your great grand parents belonged to that region, best if the whole tribe/caste/population subgroup came from that area in general.
    The purpose is to identify what regions of South Asia are over and under represented on this forum. Furthermore, to have a general discussion about the role of geographical location and genetic ancestry in context of South Asia.
    Because of limited number of options to chose from (12), I am only including geographical zones of India as created in 1956 by the constitution. Furthermore, to keep things neutral, Kashmir here means pre-partition territory.
    Can choose multiple options. Votes are anonymous.
    Last edited by Kapisa; 04-09-2021 at 02:19 AM.
    Target: Kapisa_scaled
    Distance: 1.7453% / 0.01745296
    44.4 IRN_Shahr_I_Sokhta_BA2_I8728
    35.0 UZB_Bustan_BA
    18.0 KAZ_Ak_Moustafa_MLBA1
    2.6 MNG_East_N

Mitochondrial Haplogroup: R30b found in Shahr-I-Sokhta_BA1 subclades found in Swat IA:Leobanr, Katelai & Barikot Historic.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Kapisa For This Useful Post:

AlluGobi (04-09-2021),  Arlus (04-15-2021),  Rahuls77 (04-09-2021)

Registered Users
    Sex

Quote Originally Posted by Kapisa View Post
    Based on your paper trail so far, where in South Asia (geographically) can you trace your paternal and maternal ancestry. It would be great if your great grand parents belonged to that region, best if the whole tribe/caste/population subgroup came from that area in general.
    The purpose is to identify what regions of South Asia are over and under represented on this forum. Furthermore, to have a general discussion about the role of geographical location and genetic ancestry in context of South Asia.
    Because of limited number of options to chose from (12), I am only including geographical zones of India as created in 1956 by the constitution. Furthermore, to keep things neutral, Kashmir here means pre-partition territory.
    Can choose multiple options. Votes are anonymous.
    Can you add Punjab (India) as North India is a big and diverse region.

4. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to MonkeyDLuffy For This Useful Post:

AlluGobi (04-09-2021),  Amber29 (04-09-2021),  Kirtan24 (04-09-2021),  Kulin (Today),  laltota (04-09-2021),  Sapporo (04-09-2021)

Gold Class Member
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Punjabi Jatt Sikh
    Nationality
    American & Canadian
    Y-DNA (P)
    L-M357 > Y91197
    mtDNA (M)
    HV2a3
    Y-DNA (M)
    L-M27
    mtDNA (P)
    R0

United States of America California Republic Canada India Punjab Sikh Empire Nishan Sahib
    Quote Originally Posted by MonkeyDLuffy View Post
    Agreed. I was looking for Punjab (East or India) so wasn't sure whether to select Punjab (Pakistan) or North India (which is insanely broad and can range from Kashmir to East UP/Bihar to parts of Maharashtra depending on your definition). I would be fine with NW India too if it includes Punjab/Haryana/Jammu, etc.
    Last edited by Sapporo; 04-09-2021 at 06:28 AM.
    pegasus modeling:
    sample": "Punjabi_Jat:Sapporo_AGUser",
    "fit": 1.1506,
    "IRN_Shahr_I_Sokhta_BA3": 43.33,
    "TKM_Gonur1_BA": 31.67,
    "RUS_Sintashta_MLBA": 25,
    "closestDistances": [

avatar credit goes out to aaronbee2010

6. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Sapporo For This Useful Post:

AlluGobi (04-09-2021),  Jatt1 (04-09-2021),  Kirtan24 (04-09-2021),  Kulin (Today),  laltota (04-09-2021),  MonkeyDLuffy (04-09-2021)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Gujarati Brahmin
    Nationality
    India
    Y-DNA (P)
    J-L26

India
    I just chose West India, although Gujarati Brahmins are essentially migrants to the region. The Sihor branch of Gujarati Audichya Brahmims, to which I belong, has been in Kathiawar for almost a thousand years now, so we are Kathiawaris through and through.

Edit: Maybe this is the correct place to post a recent finding about our line's history. During my wanderings through Kathiawar in February, I researched our family tree intensively along with my father.

We traced our paternal line back to one Kakanji Makanji Thaker, who along with his brother, was awarded the village of Umrala (also known as Umarkot back then) by Siddhraja Jaysinh of the Chaulukya dynasty. According to the inscription, three Brahmin clans, namely Thaker, Joshi and Mehta, were given this village as a gift for their allegiance to Siddhraja. Many other villages in what is today Saurashtra were gifted to various Audichya Brahmin clans. These later formed the Sihor Sampradaya of Audichya Brahmins.

The Brahmins who were gifted villages around what was then the capital of Gujarat, Siddhpur, came to form the Siddhpur Sampradaya of Audichya Brahmins. My mother traces back her line to one of the three Dave (Gujarati variant of Dwivedi) families who were gifted a village called Dhariyalu near Siddhpur.
    Last edited by Kirtan24; 04-09-2021 at 06:51 AM.
    “Some of you say, “Joy is greater than sorrow,” and others say, “Nay, sorrow is the greater.”
    But I say unto you, they are inseparable.
    Together they come, and when one sits alone with you at your board, remember that the other is asleep upon your bed.”
    ― Khalil Gibran, The Prophet, 1923

8. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Kirtan24 For This Useful Post:

AlluGobi (04-09-2021),  discreetmaverick (04-09-2021),  Jatt1 (04-09-2021),  Kapisa (04-09-2021),  Kulin (Today),  laltota (04-09-2021),  MonkeyDLuffy (04-09-2021),  parasar (04-09-2021),  Sapporo (04-09-2021),  ThaYamamoto (04-09-2021)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Bihari, UPite and Bengali
    Nationality
    British
    Y-DNA (P)
    O2a1c-JST002611
    mtDNA (M)
    M6a1a
    Y-DNA (M)
    R1a1a-Z93, R-M560

India Pakistan United Kingdom
    I chose North and East India as my family originate from Uttar Pradesh, Bihar and West Bengal.

I was born in Delhi

10. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to deuterium_1 For This Useful Post:

AlluGobi (04-09-2021),  Jatt1 (04-11-2021),  Kapisa (04-09-2021),  Kulin (Today),  laltota (04-09-2021),  MonkeyDLuffy (04-09-2021),  Sapporo (04-10-2021)

Gold Class Member
    Sex
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1a

Pakistan Azad Kashmir India
    In that case there should be a category for Northern Punjab(Pothwar/Azad Kashmir) as well.

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Rahuls77 For This Useful Post:

AlluGobi (04-09-2021),  Kapisa (04-09-2021),  Sapporo (04-10-2021)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Pothwari/Punjabi
    Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA (P)
    R-Y7
    mtDNA (M)
    R30b

Agreed. I was looking for Punjab (East or India) so wasn't sure whether to select Punjab (Pakistan) or North India (which is insanely broad and can range from Kashmir to East UP/Bihar to parts of Maharashtra depending on your definition). I would be fine with NW India too if it includes Punjab/Haryana/Jammu, etc.
    Prao, all zones of India (linked here: https://www.mapsofindia.com/zonal/) are equally diverse. The idea was to capture your ancestral history as it stands according to present conditions (borders dividing historic Punjab and Bengal). I have nonetheless asked the admins to help me make changes lets see what happens.
    Alternatively, I can make a Punjab (pre-partiton) focused poll, digging some old maps for reference, to include subregion. Can do the same for other regions as I think they are all equally important.
    35.0 UZB_Bustan_BA
    2.6 MNG_East_N

Mitochondrial Haplogroup: R30b found in Shahr-I-Sokhta_BA1 subclades found in Swat IA:Leobanr, Katelai & Barikot Historic.

14. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Kapisa For This Useful Post:

AlluGobi (04-09-2021),  laltota (04-09-2021),  parasar (04-09-2021),  Rahuls77 (04-09-2021),  Sapporo (04-10-2021)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Awadhi
    Y-DNA (P)
    J2- (J-Z6082)
    mtDNA (M)
    M3d1a

All of my great-grandparents were born in the Awadh region of Uttar Pradesh. Picked North India.

23andMe suggests that I may have ancestry in Punjab.

16. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to subzero85 For This Useful Post:

AlluGobi (04-09-2021),  Kapisa (04-09-2021),  Kulin (Today),  laltota (04-09-2021),  parasar (04-09-2021)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Pothwari/Punjabi
    Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA (P)
    R-Y7
    mtDNA (M)
    R30b

Quote Originally Posted by Kirtan24 View Post
    I just chose West India, although Gujarati Brahmins are essentially migrants to the region. The Sihor branch of Gujarati Audichya Brahmims, to which I belong, has been in Kathiawar for almost a thousand years now, so we are Kathiawaris through and through.

Edit: Maybe this is the correct place to post a recent finding about our line's history. During my wanderings through Kathiawar in February, I researched our family tree intensively along with my father.

We traced our paternal line back to one Kakanji Makanji Thaker, who along with his brother, was awarded the village of Umrala (also known as Umarkot back then) by Siddhraja Jaysinh of the Chaulukya dynasty. According to the inscription, three Brahmin clans, namely Thaker, Joshi and Mehta, were given this village as a gift for their allegiance to Siddhraja. Many other villages in what is today Saurashtra were gifted to various Audichya Brahmin clans. These later formed the Sihor Sampradaya of Audichya Brahmins.

The Brahmins who were gifted villages around what was then the capital of Gujarat, Siddhpur, came to form the Siddhpur Sampradaya of Audichya Brahmins. My mother traces back her line to one of the three Dave (Gujarati variant of Dwivedi) families who were gifted a village called Dhariyalu near Siddhpur.
    Thats very interesting. Thanks for sharing that anecdote. When you say Gujarati Brahmins are migrants to the region what time periods to you think this migration took place? Chaulukya dynasty seems to be from late Classical to early Medieval period.
    35.0 UZB_Bustan_BA
    2.6 MNG_East_N

18. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Kapisa For This Useful Post:

AlluGobi (04-09-2021),  Kirtan24 (04-09-2021),  parasar (04-09-2021),  Sapporo (04-10-2021)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Gujarati Brahmin
    Nationality
    India
    Y-DNA (P)
    J-L26

India
    Quote Originally Posted by Kapisa View Post
    Thats very interesting. Thanks for sharing that anecdote. When you say Gujarati Brahmins are migrants to the region what time periods to you think this migration took place? Chaulukya dynasty seems to be from late Classical to early Medieval period.
    Audichya Brahmins (they are further divided into several endogamous units) first migrated to Gujarat at the request of Mulraja Solanki in the 10th century, after he had assassinated his maternal uncle and the last Chavda king Vanaraja Chavda. The then priests of Gujarat, who mainly comprised of Shrimali Brahmins, refused to coronate him as it was a great sin to kill one's own kin. After all his efforts to persuade the Shrimalis failed, he summoned around 1000 Brahmin families (1037 or 1109, accounts vary) from the northern regions of India ("Audichya" means hailing from the North). Following details are to be found about the origins of these Brahmins

Mulraj [મૂલરાજ], King of Anhilwara Pattana [અણહિલપુર-પાટણનું], the Hindu capital of Gujarat, collected the following numbers of Brahmans from the different sacred places mentioned: --

- From the junction of the Ganga and Yamuna 105;
    - from the Chyavanasrama 100;
    - Samavedis, from the country of Kanya Kubja 200;
    - from the banks of Sarayu 100
    - from Kashi 100;
    - from Kuru Kshetra 272;
    - from Gangadvara 100;
    - from Pushkar and from Kuru Kshetra, an additional supply of 132,

making a total of 1,037
    So much for the Audichya Brahmins.

The other prominent Brahmin caste, the Nagars (who again are divided into further endogamous units like Vadnagariya, Veesnagariya, Prashnora, etc.), are said to have migrated to Gujarat in the 5th or 6th century, during the times of the Maitraka dynasty.

Then there are numerous other Brahmin castes in Gujarat like Modh, Shrimali, Raikwara, Girnara, Sompura, etc., each having their own histories.
    Last edited by Kirtan24; 04-09-2021 at 02:49 PM.
    “Some of you say, “Joy is greater than sorrow,” and others say, “Nay, sorrow is the greater.”
    But I say unto you, they are inseparable.
    Together they come, and when one sits alone with you at your board, remember that the other is asleep upon your bed.”
    ― Khalil Gibran, The Prophet, 1923

20. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Kirtan24 For This Useful Post:

AlluGobi (04-09-2021),  Jatt1 (04-11-2021),  Kapisa (04-09-2021),  karnalIroh (04-09-2021),  Kulin (Today),  Sapporo (04-10-2021),  Varun R (04-13-2021)

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast