Ethnicity
    Celt/German/Iberian
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1b-DF27
    mtDNA (M)
    U5b2a2b1

Germany Imperial United Kingdom Norway Spain
    Quote Originally Posted by GailT View Post
    1058 HGDP sequences appeared on GenBank yesterday and Ian is processing them now...
    Have you gotten the results yet? If so can you please post them? If you don't already do this, I've found it helpful to predict the haplogroups of samples in academic studies online by looking at their mutations(and keeping track of extras). In a Basque study the vast majority of U5's were U5b1f1a. BTW, through 23andme I found what U5b2a2 clade I belong, It's listed in my signature. Every little feather helps.

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    European blend
    Nationality
    USA
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1a1a1a1 L664/YP5623
    mtDNA (M)
    U5b2b2/G228A

United States of America European Union Norway Austrian Empire United Kingdom Germany Imperial
    Since my old laptop crashed, I lost a lot of my bookmarks, including Ian Logan. Anyway, I'm wondering about my rare U5b2b2. Although it is probably Norse or other northern European, it came into being during the LGM down in southern France, etc. Browsing around in Ancestry and all of the different trees there, I keep bumping in to Huguenot or possible Huguenot (how to differentiate between Norman and Huguenot?). What I'm getting at is there is also the possibility that my haplotype never migrated northward after the LGM, but came over to the colonies from France (or from France via England).

Registered Users
    Sex
    Omitted
    mtDNA (M)
    U5a2a1

Quote Originally Posted by Krefter View Post
    Have you gotten the results yet? If so can you please post them? If you don't already do this, I've found it helpful to predict the haplogroups of samples in academic studies online by looking at their mutations(and keeping track of extras). In a Basque study the vast majority of U5's were U5b1f1a. BTW, through 23andme I found what U5b2a2 clade I belong, It's listed in my signature. Every little feather helps.
    It turns out that these were almost all duplicates of the HGDP samples previously published by Zheng et al., some of which had been previously published by Hartmann et al., so now we have some cases where the same individual has 3 different GenBank accession numbers. Not very helpful.

I also look at HVR samples from any studies that seem interesting - I'm the person who identified the U5b1f1a cluster in the Basque samples in the Behar et al study. I shared this info with Doron, and at one time he seemed interested in doing full sequences for these U5 samples, but dropped it for lack of funding.

Registered Users
    Sex
    Omitted
    mtDNA (M)
    U5a2a1

Quote Originally Posted by Baltimore1937 View Post
    I'm wondering about my rare U5b2b2. Although it is probably Norse or other northern European, it came into being during the LGM down in southern France, etc.
    There are now 4 other people in your U5b2b2* Group B proposed new subclade, but none of them have listed a country of origin. Two seem to have colonial southern US ancestry and that might suggest an origin in the UK. Hopefully some of these folks will share more info on their ancestry, and you'll get more close matches.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to GailT For This Useful Post:

Baltimore1937 (11-11-2014)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Omitted
    mtDNA (M)
    U5a2a1

Peng et al. published 382 mtDNA FMS samples in GenBank, as part of the as yet unpublished paper "Mitochondrial Genomes Uncover the Maternal History of the Pamir Populations". There are 14 U5 samples including 12 from subclades that might be associated with a Steppe/Indo-European or eastern European hunter-gatherer origin (U5a1a1, U5a1b, U5a1d2b, U5a1g, U5a2a1, U5a2b) and two U5b samples.

One of the U5b samples is unclassified U5b2 and is a close match to another unclassified U5b2 sample from India that was was published in GenBank in 2011. They share six mutations (T152C, C264T, T4080C, G9139A, T14199C, A14409G) but they also differ by six steps so are not closely related. This branch of U5b2 has not been found in Europe, and I've guessed that it is a branch of U5b2 that migrated east during or after the LGM. The new Pamiri sample seem consistent with an ancient migration east. We cannot reliably estimate the age of this branch with only two samples, but a difference of 6 steps indicates a very distant maternal ancestor for this branch of U5b2.

The U5b2a1 sample is closely related to U5b2a1b (shares the 2 coding region mutations but not the HVR mutations at 152 and 16325). U5b2a1b has an age estimate of about 3000 years and seems to be Germanic, but the Pamiri sample seems to diverge at an earlier date. There is also a pre-U5b2a1b Ancient sample in the Unetice culture, from Haak et al. dated at about 3600 ybp.

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to GailT For This Useful Post:

Jean M (11-14-2017),  parasar (11-13-2017),  Táltos (01-20-2019)

Administrator
    Sex
    Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA (P)
    Q-BZ68
    mtDNA (M)
    H23

Albania Italy Two Sicilies Wales Lithuania Poland Slovakia
    Discovered my father’s mtDNA this morning-U5a1! Opened up 23andme and discovered that I have a second cousin match. His mother was the sister of my paternal grandmother. They were Rusyns from what is now NE Slovakia.
    Maternal Grandfather's Y Line: J-ZS1711
    Maternal Grandfather's mtDNA: K2b1
    Paternal Grandmother’s mtDNA: U5a1

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Táltos For This Useful Post:

Eihwaz (01-25-2019),  palamede (11-19-2019),  rms2 (01-21-2019)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Omitted
    mtDNA (M)
    U5a2a1

Quote Originally Posted by Táltos View Post
    Discovered my father’s mtDNA this morning-U5a1! Opened up 23andme and discovered that I have a second cousin match. His mother was the sister of my paternal grandmother. They were Rusyns from what is now NE Slovakia.
    If the mtDNA results are from 23andMe you can upload them to James Lick's mthap web tool and maybe identify a more specific subclade of U5a1.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to GailT For This Useful Post:

Táltos (01-22-2019)

Administrator
    Sex
    Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA (P)
    Q-BZ68
    mtDNA (M)
    H23

Albania Italy Two Sicilies Wales Lithuania Poland Slovakia
    Quote Originally Posted by GailT View Post
    If the mtDNA results are from 23andMe you can upload them to James Lick's mthap web tool and maybe identify a more specific subclade of U5a1.
    Thanks Gail, good idea! I will see if he will do that.
    Maternal Grandfather's Y Line: J-ZS1711
    Maternal Grandfather's mtDNA: K2b1
    Paternal Grandmother’s mtDNA: U5a1

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Punjabi
    Nationality
    British
    Y-DNA (P)
    [R1a] R-Y34241
    mtDNA (M)
    M5a2a1a1
    Y-DNA (M)
    [R1a] R-BY3873*
    mtDNA (P)
    U5a2a1

United Kingdom England India Nishan Sahib
    I hope this doesn't count as a necro post but I think it might be of interest to you all.

My father's maternal haplogroup is U5a2a1 which is unheard of as far as Punjabi/Indian people are concerned. I'm trying to upload my own mtDNA fasta file to Genbank but haven't heard back yet, but once I've got confirmation I will be trying to get his uploaded there too. He can confirm that his maternal line is ethnic Punjabi as far back as the mid 19th century.

I am aware of the Pamir study mentioned above, those U5a2a1 samples in that paper cluster most closely when I put my father's FASTA into Genbank's Blast and then generate a tree of descent.

His sample is YF66503 on YFull's mtDNA tree near the top:

https://www.yfull.com/mtree/U5a2a1/

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to solarius For This Useful Post:

palamede (11-19-2019),  Rufus191 (11-25-2019),  Táltos (11-19-2019)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Omitted
    mtDNA (M)
    U5a2a1

There is one Indian sample in GenBank, JX462730. There is also an Italian sample that also shares a coding region mutation with the Pamir samples. It would be interesting to see his results to see how closely he matches the Pamir samples.

My guess is that U5a2a1 originated in the Steppe region about 6000 years ago, and likely spread west, south and east from there. My maternal line is also U5a2a1, with German maternal ancestry.

Quote Originally Posted by solarius View Post
    My father's maternal haplogroup is U5a2a1 which is unheard of as far as Punjabi/Indian people are concerned. I'm trying to upload my own mtDNA fasta file to Genbank but haven't heard back yet, but once I've got confirmation I will be trying to get his uploaded there too. He can confirm that his maternal line is ethnic Punjabi as far back as the mid 19th century.

I am aware of the Pamir study mentioned above, those U5a2a1 samples in that paper cluster most closely when I put my father's FASTA into Genbank's Blast and then generate a tree of descent.

His sample is YF66503 on YFull's mtDNA tree near the top:

https://www.yfull.com/mtree/U5a2a1/

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to GailT For This Useful Post:

palamede (11-19-2019),  solarius (11-13-2019),  Táltos (11-19-2019)

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast