Ethnicity
    Northern Ireland
    Nationality
    Northern Irish
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1b-L193(BY2634)

Northern Ireland Ireland Scotland
    Quote Originally Posted by Jessie View Post
    It's not "Celtic". Irish, Scots, Welsh etc are not the same as Continental Celtic populations. Remember the Celts were in many European populations. If you look at clustering Irish, Scots and Welsh cluster with the English showing they are very similar populations and these dna tests are made of modern population panels. I guess you could say "Insular Celtic" but I just don't find using the term Celtic very helpful in these discussions. There is not a great difference between Isles populations so what they have in common is very similar ancient ancestries from the Bronze Age and also they have had very close interactions since the beginning of peopling of the area. I believe there is a study coming out from Reich on the Iron Age Saxon period of the Isles at the end of the year which should be quite informative. There was just no large scale Celtic incursions into these populations well not of the La Tene and Hallstatt variety at least but if there was a great difference between the Insular Celtic populations and the Anglo-Saxon English they would not cluster together. There is just a gradient across the Isles populations which looks quite geographic related with English being closer to the Continent and populations like the Irish being more isolated due to their location. We will know more about all of this with more studies coming out in the future.
    I donít agree. There is a difference. You can see the differences with AncestryDNA where England is grouped with Continental Europe and is seemingly difficult to separate from Continental Europe.

Gold Class Member
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    mixed European
    Nationality
    USA
    Y-DNA (P)
    Dad: R1b/L21/DF63
    mtDNA (M)
    K2b2
    Y-DNA (M)
    R1b-M269
    mtDNA (P)
    K2b1a1a

United States of America England Wales Sweden Germany
    Quote Originally Posted by Menchaca View Post
    In my case, I went from roughly 1/2 european, 1/3 american and 1/6 other Old World to 59% european, 31% american, 8% middle east and 2% africa.

I guess it's O.K. but for one point, most of my european ancestry in version 2 was "iberian". In version 3 the iberian category disappeared and instead I have Central Europe (55%) and some basque (4%). All the persons, except a french guy, which I have been able to trace back to europe were spaniards.
    That seems really screwed up and a step backwards.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to msmarjoribanks For This Useful Post:

Menchaca (09-28-2020)

Gold Class Member
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    mixed European
    Nationality
    USA
    Y-DNA (P)
    mtDNA (M)
    K2b2
    Y-DNA (M)
    R1b-M269
    mtDNA (P)
    K2b1a1a

Quote Originally Posted by JG85 View Post
    My new results (3.0) is much different from (2.0)

My origins 2.0
    93% Great Britain
    4% Eastern Europe
    2% Southeast Europe

My origins 3.0
    60% Great Britain
    35% Central Europe
    5% Magyar

I was surprised by 0% Ireland as my 2x Grandparent was Irish on my mothers side and the rest of my mothers side is English.
    Do you have any Central Europe? I think the update is mixing up English and Central Europe (and Scandinavian) for many. My mom is 25% each German/Swiss and Swedish (the rest English and Ulster of some sort), and she gets 97% Great Britain.

Gold Class Member
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    mixed European
    Nationality
    USA
    Y-DNA (P)
    mtDNA (M)
    K2b2
    Y-DNA (M)
    R1b-M269
    mtDNA (P)
    K2b1a1a

Quote Originally Posted by JG85 View Post
    I am English but I don't know anything about my fathers side and I did another test with 23andme and my ethnicity results are 68% British and Irish, 15.5% French and German, 12.5% Broadly Northwestern European, 2.5% Scandinavian and the rest broadly european. That's why I was surprised by the ftdna results.
    I'd trust 23andMe much more.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to msmarjoribanks For This Useful Post:

Carlo Baiardo (09-28-2020)

Gold Class Member
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Irish
    Nationality
    Australian & Irish
    Y-DNA (P)
    M222 (S588)
    mtDNA (M)
    J1c3f

Ireland Australia Ireland County Tipperary Ireland Munster
    Quote Originally Posted by Nqp15hhu View Post
    I don’t agree. There is a difference. You can see the differences with AncestryDNA where England is grouped with Continental Europe and is seemingly difficult to separate from Continental Europe.
    They obviously have trouble separating populations because my daughter has 5% England and Northwestern Europe despite no known English ancestry. I would think that Eastern Irish would get a percentage of this and she is only half Eastern Irish. It is all to do with their panels and clustering. I would say that Southeast English would get the most Continental input in their Ancestry results because they are closest to the continent. As I said this is all on a gradient and not that they are very different. You can see here in Ancestry's last plot how close all these populations are.

Also with FTDNA's update this is what my brother got who is Western and Southern Irish.

Last edited by Jessie; 09-27-2020 at 07:43 PM.

9. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Jessie For This Useful Post:

23abc (09-27-2020),  FionnSneachta (09-27-2020),  jadegreg (09-28-2020),  JMcB (09-27-2020),  jstephan (09-27-2020),  leonardo (09-28-2020),  msmarjoribanks (09-27-2020),  passenger (09-27-2020),  Saetro (09-27-2020),  [email protected] (09-28-2020),  sktibo (09-28-2020),  timberwolf (09-28-2020)

Gold Class Member
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    mixed European
    Nationality
    USA
    Y-DNA (P)
    mtDNA (M)
    K2b2
    Y-DNA (M)
    R1b-M269
    mtDNA (P)
    K2b1a1a

They obviously have trouble separating populations because my daughter has 5% England and Northwestern Europe despite no known English ancestry. I would think that Eastern Irish would get a percentage of this and she is only half Eastern Irish. It is all to do with their panels and clustering. I would say that Southeast English would get the most Continental input in their Ancestry results because they are closest to the continent. As I said this is all on a gradient and not that they are very different. You can see here in Ancestry's last plot how close all these populations are.
    Yes, all of this. That's why I like to look at my sister and my results together. Obviously, we would normally have differences anyway due to a different combination of genes, but we score quite similarly in the Gedmatch calculators. More significantly, there's no clear pattern to our results.

On current Ancestry, she has 49% English, about 33% I/S/W combined (the rest Norway, France, Sweden, and Germanic Europe). I have 12% English, 58% I/S/W (combined) (the rest is Swedish and Germanic Europe).

On the last one, she scored as 72% English, etc., only 5% Irish/Scottish, while I got 50% English, etc., 18% Ireland/Scotland.

On the one before that, I had over 80% English, etc., and 23% Ireland/Scotland, while she only had about 45% English, etc., and 20% Ireland/Scotland.

On FTDNA we are close: 67% Great Britain for me, 62% for her, neither of us gets any Ireland (but my dad gets 19%).

The overlapping clusters make it completely unsurprising that it's hard to tell apart, especially in populations with more mixing (both Americans with mixed NW European ancestry and English people due to history, among others).

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to msmarjoribanks For This Useful Post:

Jessie (09-27-2020),  leonardo (09-28-2020)

Registered Users
    Ethnicity
    Northern Ireland
    Nationality
    Northern Irish
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1b-L193(BY2634)

Northern Ireland Ireland Scotland

Also with FTDNA's update this is what my brother got who is Western and Southern Irish.

I understand that the groups are close genetically. On ancestrydna I have personally seen that the disparity is with the English.
    Last edited by Nqp15hhu; 09-27-2020 at 08:41 PM.

Registered Users
    Sex
    Nationality
    British

United Kingdom Ireland
    Quote Originally Posted by msmarjoribanks View Post
    Do you have any Central Europe? I think the update is mixing up English and Central Europe (and Scandinavian) for many. My mom is 25% each German/Swiss and Swedish (the rest English and Ulster of some sort), and she gets 97% Great Britain.
    I'm not sure if I do because I don't know my fathers side of the family so the Central Europe could be from him. My 23andme results are a bit different (68% British and Irish, 15.5% French and German, 12.5% Broadly Northwestern European and 2.5% Scandinavian) There could be a ancestor from Central Europe but I wouldn't know how far back it could be.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JG85 For This Useful Post:

jadegreg (09-28-2020),  msmarjoribanks (09-27-2020)

Registered Users
    Y-DNA (P)
    E1b1b1a1b

Russia Mordovia Russia Imperial Uzbekistan Mongolia Greater Khorasan Sami
    Quote Originally Posted by StillWater View Post
    What's this DNA company?
    Genotek. They only work within Russia.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Buxoro For This Useful Post:

timberwolf (09-28-2020)

Page 71 of 84 FirstFirst ... 2161697071727381 ... LastLast