Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: SNP reliability debate

  1. #1
    Company Rep Account
    Posts
    1,010
    Sex

    SNP reliability debate

    Y SNP calling:

    At this time FGC recommends the SNP judgements of:
    Alex Williamson (Big Tree)


    FGC does not endorse the restriction of reliable Y SNPs to the "Gold region." That is, FGC does not recommend the SNP criteria used by ISOGG. ISOGG is out-of-date.
    Last edited by FGC Corp; 05-09-2018 at 07:55 PM.

  2. The Following User Says Thank You to FGC Corp For This Useful Post:

     REWM (05-09-2018)

  3. #2
    Registered Users
    Posts
    4,292
    Sex
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1b
    mtDNA (M)
    H

    Quote Originally Posted by FGC Corp View Post
    Y SNP calling:

    At this time FGC recommends the SNP judgements of:
    Alex Williamson (Big Tree)


    FGC does not endorse the restriction of reliable Y SNPs to the "Gold region." That is, FGC does not recommend the SNP criteria used by ISOGG. ISOGG is out-of-date.
    By omission, it looks like you do not recommend YFull’s SNP recommendations. Please confirm.

  4. #3
    Company Rep Account
    Posts
    1,010
    Sex

    Quote Originally Posted by Mikewww View Post
    By omission, it looks like you do not recommend YFull’s SNP recommendations. Please confirm.
    I don't have a particular criticism of YFull. YFull has a less conservative approach. However, they include non "Gold Standard" SNPs, which is something that we agree with.

  5. #4
    Registered Users
    Posts
    4,292
    Sex
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1b
    mtDNA (M)
    H

    Quote Originally Posted by FGC Corp View Post
    I don't have a particular criticism of YFull. YFull has a less conservative approach. However, they include non "Gold Standard" SNPs, which is something that we agree with.
    Originally you included “Robert Casey” and “Wayne Kauffman” as recommended but then changed recommended to only Alex Williamson.

    My conclusion is you are positive on Alex Williamson’s variant calls; you are neutral on YFull, Wayne Kauffman and Robert Casey; but negative on ISOGG. Please correct me if I misunderstand.

  6. #5
    Company Rep Account
    Posts
    1,010
    Sex

    Quote Originally Posted by Mikewww View Post
    Originally you included “Robert Casey” and “Wayne Kauffman” as recommended but then changed recommended to only Alex Williamson.

    My conclusion is you are positive on Alex Williamson’s variant calls; you are neutral on YFull, Wayne Kauffman and Robert Casey; but negative on ISOGG. Please correct me if I misunderstand.
    I'm only critical with regard to ISOGG. Kauffman and Casey also do good analyses, as does Yfull.

  7. The Following User Says Thank You to FGC Corp For This Useful Post:

     JMcB (05-10-2018)

  8. #6
    Registered Users
    Posts
    4,292
    Sex
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1b
    mtDNA (M)
    H

    Quote Originally Posted by FGC Corp View Post
    I'm only critical with regard to ISOGG. Kauffman and Casey also do good analyses, as does Yfull.
    ... but in your view Alex Williamson must be best.

  9. #7
    Company Rep Account
    Posts
    1,010
    Sex

    Quote Originally Posted by Mikewww View Post
    ... but in your view Alex Williamson must be best.
    He's very good at what he does and The Big Tree is outstanding.

  10. #8
    Registered Users
    Posts
    4,292
    Sex
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1b
    mtDNA (M)
    H

    Quote Originally Posted by FGC Corp View Post
    He's very good at what he does and The Big Tree is outstanding.
    I think Alex Williamson, YFull, Robert Casey, Wayne Kauffman, annnnddd Ray Banks (of ISOGG) are all outstanding but no one is perfect,

    Okay, so did you not really mean what you what you said where you state soley about Alex?

    “At this time FGC recommends the SNP judgements of:
    Alex Williamson (Big Tree)”

  11. #9
    Registered Users
    Posts
    488
    Sex
    Location
    Praha, Czech Republic
    Ethnicity
    Czech
    Nationality
    Czech
    Y-DNA (P)
    R-Y14088
    mtDNA (M)
    J1c1i

    Czech Republic Austria Austrian Empire Bohemia Carinthia
    I have noticed that you include in your analysis SNPs from PAR1 region, I see positions 7000 to 36000, while Alex Williamson probably not?
    Y-DNA: R-Y14088 (ISOGG: R1b1a1a2a1a2b1c2b1a1a)
    mtDNA: J1c1i (J1c1 + 7735G and 8848C) Extras: 198T 12007A 16422C 16431A

Similar Threads

  1. DNA Relatives Reliability
    By KingofPhoenicia001 in forum 23andMe
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 01-15-2019, 01:00 AM
  2. MTDNA reliability
    By tahir0010 in forum FTDNA
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-30-2017, 04:30 AM
  3. Knuckle cracking debate settled
    By MikeWhalen in forum Anatomy and Physiology
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 04-18-2015, 12:42 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •