Thread: South Asian results

Registered Users
    Sex

Germany England Sweden France Norway Ukraine

South Asian results

I uploaded my 23andme raw data to wegene and got back 3.40 South Asian Indian. I am of European descent. I understand that wegene is good at picking up Asian ethnicities; so is it just picking up noise or is it real. My 23andme gives me 0.1 East Asian and Native American. Does that result tie into my wegene results. Also when I run my raw data through gedmatch I get asian percents from West to east; primarily 6-9 % west and 2 to 3% South Asian and maybe 1% east on some calculators. Can someone please give me their two cents?

I appreciate all input.

-mike

Registered Users
    Sex
    Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA (P)
    R-Z9
    mtDNA (M)
    H3

United States of America Japan England Scotland Germany
    I think the source of the raw data matters a lot with Wegene. I'm 1/4th Japanese in real life but my Asian ancestry is all over the place depending on the test.

Using AncestryDNA raw data, I am allegedly:
    23.33% Japanese
    2.51% Kyrgyz
    1.75% Uygur
    0.61% Indian
    0.60% Hmong-Mien
    0.39% Uzbek
    0.35% Mayan
    0.01% Papaun
    70.37% various European

Using 23andMe raw data, I am allegedly:
    20.82% Japanese
    4.93% Indian
    2.51% Tibetan
    1.02% Hmong-Mein
    0.68% Tungusic
    69.99% - various European

As you can see, the difference between my Indian percentages is pretty large. So I suspect Wegene's interpretation of 23andMe is just very much overstating that (I'm not Indian at all, as far as I know.)

Registered Users
    Sex

Germany England Sweden France Norway Ukraine
    I just got my living Dna results back and I got South Asia again. This time it says it’s from region of Pashtun at 1.5%. Do you think this is noise still?

Registered Users
    Sex

Russian Federation Star of David Belarus Lithuania Kazakhstan Ukraine
    What European ethnicities are you? It could help, migration patterns, etc. so letís say itís not background noise, the range they give you is usually near 3%, indicating a great great great grandparent or something like that, itís up to you to see if you have any ancestors that could fit the description. Or ask your family members and perhaps ask them about this topic or test them even

Registered Users
    Sex

Slovakia Poland Romani United States of America
    Quote Originally Posted by Mstock View Post
    I uploaded my 23andme raw data to wegene and got back 3.40 South Asian Indian. I am of European descent. I understand that wegene is good at picking up Asian ethnicities; so is it just picking up noise or is it real. My 23andme gives me 0.1 East Asian and Native American. Does that result tie into my wegene results. Also when I run my raw data through gedmatch I get asian percents from West to east; primarily 6-9 % west and 2 to 3% South Asian and maybe 1% east on some calculators. Can someone please give me their two cents?

I appreciate all input.

-mike
    Wegene seems to emphasize the South Asian/Indian component in 23andme results, which it doesn't see in Ancestry raw data. You may notice this as well in GEDMatch analyses, but Wegene really pulls the Indian out of 23andme. My wife is 1/4 Italian, and Wegene gives her around 4.5% Indian, which doesn't show up that high in other calculators.

I'm pretty sure they're getting the South Asian from your French heritage...

Registered Users
    Sex
    Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA (P)
    Dad: I1-P109
    mtDNA (M)
    T1a1

Germany United Kingdom Czech Republic Canada Canada Quebec Netherlands
    Quote Originally Posted by JosephK View Post
    Wegene seems to emphasize the South Asian/Indian component in 23andme results, which it doesn't see in Ancestry raw data. You may notice this as well in GEDMatch analyses, but Wegene really pulls the Indian out of 23andme. My wife is 1/4 Italian, and Wegene gives her around 4.5% Indian, which doesn't show up that high in other calculators.

I'm pretty sure they're getting the South Asian from your French heritage...
    Indeed.

With my AncestryDNA data, Wegene said I had 0.52% Cambodian and no Indian.
    With my 23andMe v5 chip data, Wegene said I had 4.27% Indian and no Cambodian.

AncestryDNA gave me <1% Asia East, no Indian. (Also <1% Ivory Coast/Ghana)
    23andMe gave me no East Asian and no Indian. (But 0.8% Sub-Saharan African and 0.3% North African/West Asian)

I have no known genealogical time-frame ancestry from either South Asia or SE Asia. I do, however, have a French Canadian 4th-great-grandfather, who also appears to be the source of that trace of African.
    Last edited by PoxVoldius; 07-20-2018 at 01:15 AM.
    Ancestry paper trail tally: 21.1% Colonial American (British Isles, German, Dutch, Swiss, French), 14.1% not traced past 19th Century United States (MD, NJ, NY, PA, VA), 7.8% Canadian (Ontario & Quebec), 40.6% German, 15.6% Czech, 0.8% British & Irish

Hidden Content * Hidden Content * Hidden Content

Sex
    Y-DNA (P)
    C-F2613
    mtDNA (M)
    B5a1

My brother and I tested on 23andMe's v5 chip and both of our results didn't show any South Indian ancestry, however, when I uploaded both of our DNA to Wegene I showed South Indian ancestry at 2.04% and my brother at 1.76%. On GedMatch depening on which oracle I use I show S. Indian and Ancestral South Indian ancestry.

Registered Users
    Sex

Russian Federation Star of David Belarus Lithuania Kazakhstan Ukraine
    Yeah, then itís definitely noise, as stated they really do over estimate Indian ancestry with 23 and me data