Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 14

Thread: Worth it to test Big-Y?

  1. #1
    Registered Users
    Posts
    23
    Sex

    Worth it to test Big-Y?

    Is it worth it to do a big Y test for YDNA on family tree DNA? Or not? The test is extremely expensive.

  2. #2
    Registered Users
    Posts
    80
    Sex

    It depends!

    BigYs are the cat's meow (excluding Full Genomes' YElite or even more expensive tests) for two things:
    1) answering specific questions that cheaper tests, based on guesses, can't answer

    OR

    2) Fishing expeditions where there is high probability of a big payoff

    In my project we have used both reasons, and I personally have paid for numerous tests for both reasons ...
    with stellar results.

    In general also, I recommend advice by project administrators in relevant projects. General advice is
    usually not useful for a specific case.

    Doug McDonald

  3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dtvmcdonald For This Useful Post:

     AJL (05-17-2018), Robert1 (05-17-2018)

  4. #3
    Banned
    Posts
    63
    Sex
    Location
    NYC
    Ethnicity
    British/Irish; French/Ger
    Nationality
    USA
    Y-DNA
    G-L30
    mtDNA
    J1b1a

    United Kingdom Ireland United States of America
    Quote Originally Posted by dtvmcdonald View Post
    It depends!

    BigYs are the cat's meow (excluding Full Genomes' YElite or even more expensive tests) for two things:
    1) answering specific questions that cheaper tests, based on guesses, can't answer

    OR

    2) Fishing expeditions where there is high probability of a big payoff

    In my project we have used both reasons, and I personally have paid for numerous tests for both reasons ...
    with stellar results.

    In general also, I recommend advice by project administrators in relevant projects. General advice is
    usually not useful for a specific case.

    Doug McDonald
    What can it answer? I'm attempting to decrypt my paternal line. Will it show regions where my paternal ancestors lived?

  5. #4
    Registered Users
    Posts
    182
    Sex
    Location
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Ethnicity
    7/8 European,1/8 Hawaiian
    Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA
    R-L2>BY3493>BY4242
    mtDNA
    H3h

    United States of America Germany Italy Azores Slovakia Hawaii
    It can give you a really firm placement in the male family tree. How recent that placement is can depend on how heavily tested your section of the tree is. With the growth of ancient DNA ancestral lines may point to where your male line ancestor lived long ago.

    Either way wait for a sale. Maybe there will be something for father's day. Or if not at Christmas. Patience is the key for genetic genealogy so if you can wait why not save some money while you do so.

    Unless you have an elderly subject you want to test then maybe purchase the cheapest kit you can get to save the DNA just in case and then wait for the Big Y sale.

  6. The Following User Says Thank You to Osiris For This Useful Post:

     Archimedes (05-14-2018)

  7. #5
    Registered Users
    Posts
    351
    Sex
    Location
    Ontario
    Ethnicity
    "Celto-Germanic"
    Nationality
    Canadian
    Y-DNA
    I-A14097

    Canada Netherlands Scotland Ireland Northern Ireland England
    Quote Originally Posted by Archimedes View Post
    What can it answer? I'm attempting to decrypt my paternal line. Will it show regions where my paternal ancestors lived?
    It won't show you regions of where they lived. But it will do what Osiris states below:

    Quote Originally Posted by Osiris View Post
    It can give you a really firm placement in the male family tree. How recent that placement is can depend on how heavily tested your section of the tree is. With the growth of ancient DNA ancestral lines may point to where your male line ancestor lived long ago.

    Either way wait for a sale. Maybe there will be something for father's day. Or if not at Christmas. Patience is the key for genetic genealogy so if you can wait why not save some money while you do so.

    Unless you have an elderly subject you want to test then maybe purchase the cheapest kit you can get to save the DNA just in case and then wait for the Big Y sale.
    Y-DNA: I-A14097 [Big Y: Complete] downstream of A13241 (Scotland)
    mtDNA: pending (Westeremden, Netherlands)
    Other lines:
    R-M222 x2 (Ireland), R-L21 x2 (Ireland & Scotland), I-M223 (Ireland), R-S1141 (Scotland), R-U198 & R-U106 (Netherlands), mtHg J1c3 (Ireland)
    Known ancestry
    Paternal: Britain & Ireland, France and Germany
    Maternal: Netherlands

  8. #6
    Gold Member Class
    Posts
    2,066
    Sex
    Location
    Calne,England
    Ethnicity
    Caucasian-White
    Nationality
    British
    Y-DNA
    E-Z16664
    mtDNA
    H67

    United Kingdom Scotland England Ireland
    In terms of getting a quick bang for your buck it does really depend on how common your haplogroup is. If you are in an uncommon haplogroup or a paragroup, as I am ,you could waiting ages for any return on the money spent.
    Please support Mental health research and world community grid

    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

  9. #7
    Registered Users
    Posts
    84
    Sex
    Location
    Bay Area
    Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA
    E-V13
    mtDNA
    J1

    Italy Two Sicilies England Sweden
    Apologies for jumping in but I have a couple basic beginner questions regarding this kind of testing. Im considering going down this route as well, maybe not Big Y but one of the smaller tests. Im E-V13 according to Morley's test and E-m5021 according to 23andMe, which I believe translates in some form to E-V13. Is that hap group common enough for this to be worth while? And what kind of report do you get, if any? Basically what will this tell me? I already know where everyone was from and who married who etc.. back to about 1750 or so on my Y line.

  10. #8
    Registered Users
    Posts
    94
    Sex
    Location
    Curitiba, PR
    Nationality
    Brazilian
    Y-DNA
    I-M223 > I-Z2058

    Brazil Canada Italy Veneto Galicia Star of David Netherlands
    Quote Originally Posted by digital_noise View Post
    Apologies for jumping in but I have a couple basic beginner questions regarding this kind of testing. Im considering going down this route as well, maybe not Big Y but one of the smaller tests. Im E-V13 according to Morley's test and E-m5021 according to 23andMe, which I believe translates in some form to E-V13. Is that hap group common enough for this to be worth while? And what kind of report do you get, if any? Basically what will this tell me? I already know where everyone was from and who married who etc.. back to about 1750 or so on my Y line.
    I'm not sure about how common it is, but E-V13 might point back to a Greek or Etruscan component assimilated by the Romans long ago. Yet, its haplotree develops into a lot of branches, so the tests could help you narrowing it down and show you where exactly your paternal lineage stands. You won't find ancestors names or data, but you can have a glimpse of your (paternal) genetical history. I'd say it could add to what you already know about your family. Another great thing is having possible matches and maybe finding some distant (or not so distant) relatives who could have more information about your ancestors, or simply getting to know them.
    I also haven't ordered Big Y (as it's really expensive to me even when it's in sale, because USD 1 currently becomes BRL 3.60), but I took the 'basic' Y-DNA test and then the SNP pack. Once you have any Y-DNA test made, you can also order individual SNP tests (usually suggested by your haplogroup project admin, which you can join after you have your predicted or confirmed results) for $ 39 or a bit less than this when in sale.
    Y-DNA: I2a2 > I2a2a (M223) > Y4450 > CTS616 > Y3721 > Y3670 > L1229 > Z2069 > Z2058 > BY3800(?)

    FTDNA (autosomal): 62% European [29% West and Central Europe; 19% Southeast Europe; 14% Iberia] / 12% New World [9% North and Central America; 3% South America] / 11% Middle Eastern [North Africa] / 9% African [West Africa] / Traces: Finland, Siberia, Oceania, West Middle East

  11. The Following User Says Thank You to galon07 For This Useful Post:

     digital_noise (05-16-2018)

  12. #9
    Registered Users
    Posts
    182
    Sex
    Location
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Ethnicity
    7/8 European,1/8 Hawaiian
    Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA
    R-L2>BY3493>BY4242
    mtDNA
    H3h

    United States of America Germany Italy Azores Slovakia Hawaii
    My grandfather was likely E-V13 as well so I'm also interested.

    E-V13 seems fairly bushy so you'd likely get some distance.
    https://www.yfull.com/tree/E-V13/
    https://www.eupedia.com/europe/Haplo...1b_Y-DNA.shtml

    I neglected to mention that while placement in the tree is awesome there's a matching algorithm which leaves some things to be desired. Originally the matches were wide open but now they've clamped it down and you only match Big Y testers from the last 1000 to 1500 years roughly. I'm part of R-L2 but off a small twig of that branch and have no branching events in FTDNA from the about 2000 BC until my immigrant ancestor and his brother in 1730. So my only matches are my uncle and my 5th cousin. But you can also load your data to other places like YFULL. YFULL costs like $50 and needs your BAM file but it also lets you match against the subjects of some studies with both ancient data and stuff like the 1000 Genomes project. I have a Sardinian man with a common ancestor around 500 BC (give or take a few centuries) so you can see splits like that if you share your data with other places.

    http://www.ytree.net/ is good if you're R-P312 or R-U106 and has some study subjects like 1000 genomes but it's free and uses the VCF file. I heard some chatter about sharing the base with other teams so that they can apply it to other haplogroups like E-V13 which would be nice. It's certainly easier to navigate than the FTDNA tree.

  13. The Following User Says Thank You to Osiris For This Useful Post:

     digital_noise (05-16-2018)

  14. #10
    Registered Users
    Posts
    84
    Sex
    Location
    Bay Area
    Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA
    E-V13
    mtDNA
    J1

    Italy Two Sicilies England Sweden
    I think Im going to do the y-111, but I am going to wait and see if they have a sale around fathers day or something

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Is it worth transferring to MyHeritage now?
    By Loderingo in forum MyHeritage
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 01-16-2018, 09:44 PM
  2. BigY R1b-V1636 - YFull worth it?
    By Gnid in forum R1b Early Subclades
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 11-16-2017, 05:10 PM
  3. Worth it to buy 23andMe after Ancestry?
    By JDay in forum 23andMe
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 06-12-2017, 12:52 AM
  4. FTDNA snp pack worth it? I'm e1b1b1a1a*
    By Tz85 in forum E1b-M215
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-28-2016, 11:36 PM
  5. FTDNA worth the effort?
    By JWillis in forum FTDNA
    Replies: 26
    Last Post: 07-26-2015, 11:12 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •