Thread: Is there any ancestry from the Arabian Peninsula in Southern Europe?

Banned
    Sex
    Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1a1a
    mtDNA (M)
    H

United States of America

Is there any ancestry from the Arabian Peninsula in Southern Europe?

While we have been able to quantify North African ancestry in Iberia to be from 0% in Basques to about 11-12% in Portuguese (https://www.biorxiv.org/content/early/2018/03/12/250191) and we have had some means of quantifying Caucasian ancestry in southern Italy, Albania and Greece to be in the 20-30% range (https://www.nature.com/articles/s41598-017-01802-4) there is very little attention given to a question I have often had:

How much, if any, ancestry is there that came to Southern Europe from the Arabian Peninsula, either in ancient times or through the spread of Islam? Is there any evidence of places like Iberia, Sicily, or Malta having any uniquely Arabian haplogroups or any evidence of autosomal input from there?

Due to some degree of genetic overlap between Arabians, Levantines, and Berbers, it is a difficult question to answer.

Registered Users
    Sex

Italy Sicily Greece Canada
    There's been a scripture about some Arabic tribe who settled in Sicily during the Early Middle Ages but I highly doubt their impact was significant, but Arabian is also a broad term. Northern Arabs aint differ much from the latest Bronze Age neolithic imput which had left a significant impact in Southern Europe and this component either peaks in Cypriots or Druzes if I remember right, while the Southern Arabians are also closely related to the Fertile Descent but they have higher East African/Cushite admixture. Based on the results I see a very slight but present Arabian ancestry in "some" South Italian kits while some of the Greek kits (Non Pontian) I've seen tend to have a lot of Iraqi Western Asian matches probadly links made via the Byzantine period.
    Last edited by giorgio; 05-28-2018 at 09:47 PM.

Registered Users
    Sex
    Y-DNA (P)
    J2a-M319
    Y-DNA (M)
    I2a2-M223

I dont think so, all the near east type stuff seems to be there from the bronze age. I do believe some Armenia EBA type stuff made its way to southeastern Europe, after Mycenaean times.

Banned
    Sex
    Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1a1a
    mtDNA (M)
    H

United States of America
    Quote Originally Posted by giorgio View Post
    There's been a scripture about some Arabic tribe who settled in Sicily during the Early Middle Ages but I highly doubt their impact was significant, but Arabian is also a broad term. Northern Arabs aint differ much from the latest Bronze Age neolithic imput which had left a significant impact in Southern Europe and this component either peaks in Cypriots or Druzes if I remember right, while the Southern Arabians are also closely related to the Fertile Descent but they have higher East African/Cushite admixture. Based on the results I see a very slight but present Arabian ancestry in "some" South Italian kits while some of the Greek kits (Non Pontian) I've seen tend to have a lot of Iraqi Western Asian matches probadly links made via the Byzantine period.

Is there any particular region you notice this in? I have noticed a small but noticeable increase of Red Sea/SW Asian type and Caucasian ancestry both in the Caltanissetta/Palermo area of Sicily and that among Greeks, Dodecanese islands have the highest West Asian.