Greek
    Y-DNA (P)
    J1 -PF7263 (BY38105)
    mtDNA (M)
    A1a

Greece Byzantine Empire

A4a1 from Greece

Hello,
    I come from Greece and my mtdna haplogroup is A4a1. I have posted about it here before but have gotten no responses yet so I decided to give in another try in a new thread :-)
    Can anybody help me acquire an idea of its possible origin in relation to Greece? (Northwestern Greece, area of Ioannina)
    Thank you in advance

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Aegean Greek
    Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA (P)
    J-L26 (J2a1)
    mtDNA (M)
    J1b1a

Greece United States of America
    Kalimera from the States. A4 is an East Asian hap so I would assume you probably have a Turkic-speaking maternal ancestor somewhere in the woodpile. As far as I know this haplogroup isn't even all that common in Turkey, but given that you're Greek, a Turkish origin makes the most sense to me...
    Ελευθερία ή θάνατος.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Michalis Moriopoulos For This Useful Post:

Afshar (06-06-2018),  Agamemnon (06-07-2018)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Greek, Vlach, Arvanite
    Nationality
    Greek
    Y-DNA (P)
    J1 -PF7263 (BY38105)
    mtDNA (M)
    A1a

Greece Byzantine Empire
    Kalimera, Michali! Thank you for answering! Yes indeed, I was told that it may have come either from a Turkish or an Avar/Avaroslavic woman. Truth is all are possible in the case of our village/area in Ioannina, Epirus.
    The village itself was an initial Slavic settlement (Tsarkovista). But I know from historical sources that Slavic male settlers married mostly to local women. They must have been Vajunites. Then it was conquered by Bulgarians (also possible Avar source?), by Serbs and in the end by the Ottomans.
    Although the Turkish presence there was much longer than this of the other invaders (except for the Slavs that stayed there and were gradually assimilated) , my only doubt is the following: do you think it was probable for a Turkish woman to marry into a family of locals? (mixture of Romioi, Slavs, Vlachs and Arvanites?). The other way around must have been more probable (a Turkish man having a wife of Greek/Balkan origin). But of course it could have been a rare exception.
    Last edited by Alexandra_K; 06-06-2018 at 07:17 PM.

Registered Users
    Sex
    Y-DNA (P)
    J1
    mtDNA (M)
    K1a10a

United States of America England
    There's no A4 on Phylotree --- http://www.phylotree.org/tree/A.htm

I suggest you do this free analysis and see if your haplogroup has another name --- https://dna.jameslick.com/mthap/23andMe.html

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Greek, Vlach, Arvanite
    Nationality
    Greek
    Y-DNA (P)
    J1 -PF7263 (BY38105)
    mtDNA (M)
    A1a

Greece Byzantine Empire
    Hello! That's the name 23andme uses. I did do it yesterday coincidentally (James Lick) and it comes out as A1a there which is the new name of A4a1. James Lick told me that no further analysis is needed because it is quite certain that this is the final result.

Registered Users
    Sex
    Y-DNA (P)
    J1
    mtDNA (M)
    K1a10a

United States of America England
    You are a very good researcher.

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Greek, Vlach, Arvanite
    Nationality
    Greek
    Y-DNA (P)
    J1 -PF7263 (BY38105)
    mtDNA (M)
    A1a

Greece Byzantine Empire
    Thank you! 😄

Registered Users
    Sex

What about your autosomal DNA? I think that auDNA could give you more info about your ancestors.

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Gafasigirig
    Nationality
    Icecold
    Y-DNA (P)
    Q-Y16849
    mtDNA (M)
    H14a
    Y-DNA (M)
    R-Z2103
    mtDNA (P)
    HV-T16311C!

Turkey Afsharid Dynasty
    Its quite atypical for greece, there is some minor presence in Turkey so its probably some Turkish maternal ancestor along the line, which you can probably detect in your autosomal dna also ( if that is thecase)
    Of all the countries, this is possibly the most beautiful. All that is beautiful and can be rarely seen in
    other countries can be seen everywhere here... Here live the people who wear the cleanest clothes and prepare the
    most flavorful dishes... Of all of Godís servants, the local people are the most compassionate and merciful...

Ibn Battuta about Asia Minor 1333CE

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Greek, Vlach, Arvanite
    Nationality
    Greek
    Y-DNA (P)
    J1 -PF7263 (BY38105)
    mtDNA (M)
    A1a

Greece Byzantine Empire
    Hello, Thracian88 and Afshar and thank you! Well, no company has ever given me West Asian etc. except for Ancestry before the update? (4% Caucasus). Now it completely vanished as noise (according to their explanation). I do get high Balkan percentages always and in some companies, even Eastern European, ranging from 4-14%. Also Italian (updated Ancestry 29%! and updated 23andme 12%). The Italian must come mainly from my father who has tested at 23andme too and has the double percentage compared to me.
    Since A1a is indeed atypical for Greece I guess it must come from a historical co-existence as you say (either with the Turkish or Avars etc.) so normally it should be able to show in autosomal dna, right? Or not necessarily?
    Also, my mother (whose line this is about) has tested at MyHeritage and I have uploaded her results to other vendors too (Gencove, Geneplaza, Gedmatch, DNA.land, FTDNA). She too has no West Asian except for at Geneplaza - West Asian: Caucasian (Georgians) 2,6% and Southwest Asians (Bedouin B, Saudi)0,7%). I don't know if she would have gotten the same as me at Ancestry in the past (4% Caucasus) before the update, because as you know no transfer option from other vendors is available for Ancestry.
    Last edited by Alexandra_K; 06-07-2018 at 11:19 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast