Nationality
    Canadian
    mtDNA (M)
    M3a2
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1a-Y2568*

India Punjab Canada Azad Baluchistan Sikh Empire Nishan Sahib
    Quote Originally Posted by pegasus View Post
    Punjabi is an extremely tonal language to my ears , I don't know about Haryanvi but based of the youtube videos I saw it sounds like a crude version of Hindi but has some tonal overlap but lacking the semi glottal sounds you hear in the former.
    Haha depends who's speaking it, it can be a very soft language too. Although 99.9% speak like Sidhu Moosewala. Haryanavi is like Punjabi and Rajasthani had a baby, and that baby grew up with UPiites.
    Deg Teg Fateh - Victory to Charity and Arms

Punjab, Punjabi, Fateh.

Global Moderator
    Sex
    mtDNA (M)
    M30
    mtDNA (P)
    U2C1
    Y-DNA (M)
    R1a-Y6
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1a-L657>Y6

Quote Originally Posted by Reza View Post
    I guess it depends on the hierarchy and literary standard.

For Punjabi speakers it may well be the original Urdu or Persian pronunciation. So jaroori sounds very unsophisticated. The irony being that Arabs find zaroori the funny pronunciation compared to Ḍaroori with a hard Ḍād (ﺽ).

In Bengali, it's often the other way round. In the literary standard, you would pronounce it Joruri. The more Eastern dialects would say zoruri and that is considered very rustic / crude.

My name does the whole gamut - Ridha, Reza or Reja depending on who's speaking...
    Aside from TB loan words, we don't have any "z" words in Nepali. Even "bazaar" is pronounced "bajaar". There are quite a few TB place names with "z" and they're all pronounced "j" by Nepali speakers, but the local speakers do pronounce z properly. I think Newari also has quite a few Z words. I only learned to pronounce "z" properly in the US.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to poi For This Useful Post:

parasar (07-15-2019)

Registered Users

Afghanistan Jammu and Kashmir United States of America Canada
    Quote Originally Posted by poi View Post
    Aside from TB loan words, we don't have any "z" words in Nepali. Even "bazaar" is pronounced "bajaar". There are quite a few TB place names with "z" and they're all pronounced "j" by Nepali speakers, but the local speakers do pronounce z properly. I think Newari also has quite a few Z words. I only learned to pronounce "z" properly in the US.
    Most Sanskrit based languages lack Z and F so that likely has to do with it.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pegasus For This Useful Post:

parasar (07-16-2019),  poi (07-16-2019)

Global Moderator
    Sex
    mtDNA (M)
    M30
    mtDNA (P)
    U2C1
    Y-DNA (M)
    R1a-Y6
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1a-L657>Y6

Quote Originally Posted by pegasus View Post
    Most Sanskrit based languages lack Z and F so that likely has to do with it.
    Never realized about F. You’re right, used to pronounce Fan as Phan , Future as Phuture, lol

7. The Following User Says Thank You to poi For This Useful Post:

pegasus (07-16-2019)

Registered Users

Afghanistan Jammu and Kashmir United States of America Canada
    Quote Originally Posted by poi View Post
    Never realized about F. You’re right, used to pronounce Fan as Phan , Future as Phuture, lol
    Yes in the same way Japanese and other East Asians pronounce L as "ERR" ie lonely sounds like ronery or in that Grammarly ad that Japanese sushi expert say "grammary"
    Last edited by pegasus; 07-16-2019 at 05:16 PM.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to pegasus For This Useful Post:

parasar (07-16-2019)

Registered Users

We pronounce words with r as l.

For example rekha (line) would be lekha (likh).

Or completely without r.
    Priya - Piya.
    Thus Asok is called Piyadasi which is how Greek (but not Aramaic) also noted him - Piodases.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456