Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 28

Thread: Genotype vs Phenotpe - when your Phenotype does not Match with your claimed Ancestry

  1. #1

    Genotype vs Phenotpe - when your Phenotype does not Match with your claimed Ancestry

    Most phenotypes (physical characteristics) are influenced by both your genotype and the unique circumstances in which you have lived your life, including everything that has ever happened to you. We often refer to these two inputs as “nature,” the unique genome you carry, and “nurture,” the environment in which you have lived your life.

    In India and Pakistan, genetic diversity is very vast, people claim to have many foreign ancestry claims some claim to have arab lineage some turk some mongol and some Aryan and Sycthian etc.

    My curiosity is ; if that is the case then there has to be a direct relation between phenotype and genotype. To sum/explain up my argument a person who claims to be of chinsese ancestry have to look like a Chinese and if he doesn't then his claim is dubious. Looking in the mirror is one of the best proof of your ancestry , which many south Asians shy away from. Phenotype is greatly impacted by your genotype and does not and cannot evolve in isolation of it. A Chinese man cannot have an arab phenotype and like versa.



    Do u guys agree? I am sorry if I have offended anybody. The purpose is to have a healthy debate and not cause an offense.

  2. #2
    Registered Users
    Posts
    4,834
    Sex

    It is a very good topic if we talk in calm manner. In my opinion since SAs are so mixed, the genetic inheritance is very random. That's why you've sibling who can look very different in terms of features and skin tone.

  3. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to MonkeyDLuffy For This Useful Post:

     bmoney (06-11-2018),  poi (06-09-2018),  Rahuls77 (06-18-2018),  Saad2016 (06-09-2018)

  4. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by MonkeyDLuffy View Post
    It is a very good topic if we talk in calm manner. In my opinion since SAs are so mixed, the genetic inheritance is very random. That's why you've sibling who can look very different in terms of features and skin tone.
    Thank you for your participation. I agree that we have sibling who tend to be a lighter or darker skin tone in India/Pakistan. However, a strange tendency in south Asian exists that compel many to find their ancestors outside of region. For instance in my country of origin i.e. Pakistan , you would find many clans/tribes that claim to be arabs, turks and so on but when I look at their phenotype they don't even look a bit like their claimed ancestors and if the current populations of arabia come to know that we have these people in south Asian who claim to be from them...they would probably laugh at them aloud. Same goes with castes systems. I find this term "Low caste" very derogatory but people use it in south Asian as if they are a different genetic stock, when scientifically speaking that's not the case. The genepool is the same but due to social status etc etc. they started these caste based pseudo genealogy which is not solid at all!

  5. The Following User Says Thank You to Saad2016 For This Useful Post:

     Rahuls77 (06-18-2018)

  6. #4
    Global Moderator
    Posts
    4,660
    Sex
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1a-L657 >BY160158
    mtDNA (M)
    M30g
    Y-DNA (M)
    R1a-L657 >Y6
    mtDNA (P)
    U2C1

    Phenotypes can overlap despite no (recent) genetic ties. It is like looking at the shape/color/texture of the food and thinking they taste the same and have the same same nutritional properties. Chances are that two similar looking food taste the tame, but there is also a chance that they do not at all.

    For example, South Asians and Arabs, do not share recent ancestry. In genetic tests, Arabs and South Asians are "distinct". The most recent ancestry probably diverged 10,000+ years ago. Yet, many South Asians are easily confused for Arabs and vice versa. That alone should tell us that phenotype is very subjective. If we go down this rabbit hole, we're going to have to open up 19th century literature to figure out "Races of Man" and start posting "plates" of side profiles and measurement of cranial index.

  7. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to poi For This Useful Post:

     Kulin (06-09-2018),  MonkeyDLuffy (06-09-2018),  MuslimPatel123 (06-10-2018),  Rahuls77 (06-18-2018),  sudkol (06-09-2018),  Zaid (06-10-2018)

  8. #5
    Banned
    Posts
    2,952
    Sex
    Location
    America
    Ethnicity
    Telgu/marathi

    Siberian Tatars Tajikistan
    Quote Originally Posted by poi View Post
    Phenotypes can overlap despite no (recent) genetic ties. It is like looking at the shape/color/texture of the food and thinking they taste the same and have the same same nutritional properties. Chances are that two similar looking food taste the tame, but there is also a chance that they do not at all.

    For example, South Asians and Arabs, do not share recent ancestry. In genetic tests, Arabs and South Asians are "distinct". The most recent ancestry probably diverged 10,000+ years ago. Yet, many South Asians are easily confused for Arabs and vice versa. That alone should tell us that phenotype is very subjective. If we go down this rabbit hole, we're going to have to open up 19th century literature to figure out "Races of Man" and start posting "plates" of side profiles and measurement of cranial index.

    There is certainly some overlap although not as much as some people think. Peninsular Arabs can look quite a bit like some north Indians as can some Persians. Also, the similarity seems to be pretty limited to the males for some reason. Our women always look very different from theirs. No idea why this is.

  9. #6
    Registered Users
    Posts
    372
    Location
    USA
    Y-DNA (P)
    H-Z4417
    mtDNA (M)
    M3d

    Quote Originally Posted by Saad2016 View Post
    Same goes with castes systems. I find this term "Low caste" very derogatory but people use it in south Asian as if they are a different genetic stock, when scientifically speaking that's not the case. The genepool is the same but due to social status ...
    Sadly, this is simply not true. DNA tests in recent times have proved there is correlation between caste status and the proportion of ancestry from particular ancestral groups.

  10. The Following User Says Thank You to thejkhan For This Useful Post:

     bmoney (06-11-2018)

  11. #7
    Global Moderator
    Posts
    4,660
    Sex
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1a-L657 >BY160158
    mtDNA (M)
    M30g
    Y-DNA (M)
    R1a-L657 >Y6
    mtDNA (P)
    U2C1

    Quote Originally Posted by Censored View Post
    There is certainly some overlap although not as much as some people think. Peninsular Arabs can look quite a bit like some north Indians as can some Persians. Also, the similarity seems to be pretty limited to the males for some reason. Our women always look very different from theirs. No idea why this is.
    Females are much more inclined to modify their appearances than males. Females in general wear massive eyeliners, many even put on fake eyelashes, most definitely fix up their eyebrows, most put on lipstick and many wear foundation and makeup.

    And, no, I did not just go through my wife's makeup kit lol

  12. The Following User Says Thank You to poi For This Useful Post:

     bmoney (06-11-2018)

  13. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by thejkhan View Post
    Sadly, this is simply not true. DNA tests in recent times have proved there is correlation between caste status and the proportion of ancestry from particular ancestral groups.
    this table proves it otherwise, almost all ethnic groupos/clans are mixed check this out :

    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Y-DNA_..._of_South_Asia

  14. #9
    Gold Class Member
    Posts
    2,087
    Sex
    Location
    NorCal
    Ethnicity
    Punjabi Jatt Sikh
    Nationality
    American & Canadian
    Y-DNA (P)
    L-M357 > Y33989
    mtDNA (M)
    HV2a3
    Y-DNA (M)
    L-M27
    mtDNA (P)
    R0

    United States of America California Republic Canada India Punjab Sikh Empire Nishan Sahib
    Quote Originally Posted by Saad2016 View Post
    this table proves it otherwise, almost all ethnic groupos/clans are mixed check this out :

    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Y-DNA_..._of_South_Asia
    He's referring to autosomal ancestry. Not Y-DNA. Also, "lower castes" tend to have different proportions of West Eurasian Y-DNA and mt-DNA than "upper castes."
    Last edited by Sapporo; 06-10-2018 at 11:30 AM.
    pegasus modeling:
    sample": "Punjabi_Jat:Sapporo_AGUser",
    "fit": 1.1506,
    "IRN_Shahr_I_Sokhta_BA3": 43.33,
    "TKM_Gonur1_BA": 31.67,
    "RUS_Sintashta_MLBA": 25,
    "closestDistances": [

    avatar credit goes out to aaronbee2010

  15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sapporo For This Useful Post:

     bmoney (06-11-2018),  thejkhan (06-10-2018)

  16. #10
    Banned
    Posts
    2,952
    Sex
    Location
    America
    Ethnicity
    Telgu/marathi

    Siberian Tatars Tajikistan
    Quote Originally Posted by poi View Post
    Females are much more inclined to modify their appearances than males. Females in general wear massive eyeliners, many even put on fake eyelashes, most definitely fix up their eyebrows, most put on lipstick and many wear foundation and makeup.

    And, no, I did not just go through my wife's makeup kit lol
    Possible. Middle Eastern women have a unique make up style. Also we tend to pay more attention to minute details in females compared to other males.
    Last edited by Censored; 06-10-2018 at 12:25 AM.

  17. The Following User Says Thank You to Censored For This Useful Post:

     poi (06-10-2018)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Ancestry Match doesn't Match on GEDmatch?
    By greerpalmer in forum AncestryDNA
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-03-2018, 09:54 PM
  2. Ancestry DNA match lists may be changing
    By Little bit in forum AncestryDNA
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 06-04-2018, 08:49 AM
  3. ANE substrate in NW Europe genotype and phenotype!?
    By Finn in forum Anatomy and Physiology
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 05-05-2017, 06:45 PM
  4. Neat New Match At Ancestry
    By rms2 in forum AncestryDNA
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 11-29-2016, 06:31 PM
  5. Phenotype as a Proportion of National Genotype
    By Caratacus in forum General
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 11-20-2015, 09:01 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •