mtDNA (M)
    J1b1a1b
    Y-DNA (M)
    R-P311
    mtDNA (P)
    B4a1a

Germany England Ireland Philippines Spain India

James Lick's site?

My apologies if this has already been posted; I didn't see anything on a quick glance or through the forum search.

Is it possible to use AncestryDNA raw data on James Lick's site to get an mtDNA estimate? I keep getting an error when I try, and it's not on his list of supported sites.

I know that mtDNA from Ancestry results isn't necessarily accurate, I'm just curious to see if somewhere else gets the same as WeGene did, and to see if it's different when I get my 23&Me test.

Registered Users
    Sex
    Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA (P)
    Dad: I1-P109
    mtDNA (M)
    T1a1

Germany United Kingdom Czech Republic Canada Canada Quebec Netherlands
    I kinda doubt it. My Ancestry DNA kit had so few SNPs relevant to my mtDNA haplogroup that Wegene was pretty much only able to designate it as human (L1'2'3'4'5'6), lol. But it might just depend on what your haplogroup is. I think Ancestry DNA's chosen mtDNA SNPs are more relevant for some haplogroups than others.

I'm seriously considering trying 23andMe while their kits are on sale.
    Last edited by PoxVoldius; 06-13-2018 at 01:27 AM.

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    3/4 USA, 1/4 Canada
    Nationality
    USA

United States of America Canada United Kingdom Ireland Germany France
    I had to download a file I uploaded from Ancestey to FTDNA to get it to work. I have no idea how accurate it is. Supposedly Ancestry doesn't test mtDNA. James Lick gives H2a2a1 for me, my mom, and my husband. WeGene gives me C2a2 which isn't at all correct. This is because my Ancestry file only contains a few things it could identify, one being 3010 which is also a J1 and H2 marker. WeGene gives my mom J1 and shows a path to it with the alleged markers she has. But yep, upload your file to FTDNA if you haven't already, and download the 36 or 37 build file to upload to James Lick.

Registered Users
    Sex
    Y-DNA (P)
    R-Z255
    mtDNA (M)
    J1b1a1b
    Y-DNA (M)
    R-P311
    mtDNA (P)
    B4a1a

Thank you both! I got C1c2 at WeGene, which isn't impossible, since I haven't been able to trace my maternal line back very far, but seems pretty unlikely. At least I know if FTDNA is way different, then I should just wait until I can afford 23&Me. (I hope they have another sale in the fall, I didn't scrape enough together for this one.)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    3/4 USA, 1/4 Canada
    Nationality
    USA

Whoops, C1c2 is what WeGene gave me lol. Click on the "View Maternal Haplogroup Beta" link. It'll show you the terminal snp it used. See if there's a path to it. If there's no path and it shows 3010, I bet you're an H or J. I wish I had money to throw at an mtDNA test. I'm hoping something goes on sale soon besides 23andMe so I can do it.

Registered Users
    Sex
    Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA (P)
    mtDNA (M)
    T1a1

If I use the file that DNA.Land converted to 23andMe format from the original Ancestry DNA file, it comes out saying "Found 121 markers at 121 positions covering 0.7% of mtDNA." And all but one of the top matches it found for me based on that could only match up one defining marker each. It says I could be H55a, or H13a2b4, or H86, or H2a2a1 (which it is somehow calling a "good match" despite not being able to match up any defining markers at all!), or H26c.

Registered Users
    Sex
    Y-DNA (P)
    R-Z255
    mtDNA (M)
    J1b1a1b
    Y-DNA (M)
    R-P311
    mtDNA (P)
    B4a1a

I got a path with a bunch of thingies on it (that's the technical term, right? ), but the only one that's highlighted is 3010. If I hover on CZ or C or etc. there are numbers, but none are blue. J or H both seem more likely, since most of my mother's ancestors are German, and only slightly fewer are English.

https://imgur.com/a/YpJCTqL

Registered Users
    Sex
    Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA (P)
    mtDNA (M)
    T1a1

Quote Originally Posted by flower View Post
    Whoops, C1c2 is what WeGene gave me lol. Click on the "View Maternal Haplogroup Beta" link. It'll show you the terminal snp it used. See if there's a path to it. If there's no path and it shows 3010, I bet you're an H or J. I wish I had money to throw at an mtDNA test. I'm hoping something goes on sale soon besides 23andMe so I can do it.
    I clicked on that and hovered over the node, and it's showing SNPs that Ancestry DNA didn't even test. Like ones that don't even show up in the raw data file from Ancestry DNA.

Wegene_mtDNA.jpg
    Last edited by PoxVoldius; 06-13-2018 at 02:11 AM.

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    3/4 USA, 1/4 Canada
    Nationality
    USA

Quote Originally Posted by PoxVoldius View Post
    I clicked on that and hovered over the node, and it's showing SNPs that Ancestry DNA didn't even test. Like ones that don't even show up in the raw data file from Ancestry DNA.
    How do you find out which ones they tested? I ended up downloading Promeathese and let it run for the agonizing 16+ hours twice to check me and my mom. I googled every rs under the maternal category and found both H and J markers for myself. None of what was listed for my mom matched her WeGene though. I wish it were easy like it was with my husband. He's a very blatant y haplogroup G lol.

Registered Users
    Sex
    Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA (P)
    mtDNA (M)
    T1a1

Quote Originally Posted by flower View Post
    How do you find out which ones they tested? I ended up downloading Promeathese and let it run for the agonizing 16+ hours twice to check me and my mom. I googled every rs under the maternal category and found both H and J markers for myself. None of what was listed for my mom matched her WeGene though. I wish it were easy like it was with my husband. He's a very blatant y haplogroup G lol.
    Unzip the raw data file and open it as a .txt file -- the mtDNA SNPs are marked as "chromosome 26". They didn't test anything at all from either HVR1 or HVR2.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast