American
    Y-DNA (P)
    G2b1a
    mtDNA (M)
    V

United States of America Afghanistan Iran Russian Federation

Europe's first farmers carried significant Iranian-related ancestry

From David Reich's new book Who We Are and How We Got Here:

We also found farmers from the Peloponnese in southern Greece who lived around six thousand years ago and may have derived part of their ancestry from a different source population in Anatolia - a population that descended more from Iranian-related populations than was the case in northwestern Anatolian farmers who were likely a source population for the rest of Europe's farmers. The first farming in Europe was practiced in the Peloponnese and the nearby island of Crete by people who did not use pottery.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Eвa For This Useful Post:

Cascio (06-17-2018)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Omitted

The Greek neolithic samples model in qpadm nicely as 2/3 NW Anatolian, 1/3 Central Anatolian. Central Anatolians having a good chunk of Iran_N and/or CHG-related ancestry (15% +/- a lot).
    Collection of 14,000 d-stats: Hidden Content Part 2: Hidden Content Part 3: Hidden Content PM me for d-stats, qpadm, qpgraph, or f3-outgroup nmonte models.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Kale For This Useful Post:

Eвa (06-14-2018)

Registered Users
    Sex

Ireland Ireland England England Ireland Munster European Union
    I tried running a mammoth set of D-Stats once, something like: Mbuti Iran_N Test_EEF_Pop Barcin_N and remember getting a few CHG hints in the Balkans (nothing more than -2 though) around the Copper Age but nothing too significant. I must have run around 200 d-stats and in the end I gave up.

There probably were a few different waves of farmers into Europe, with the first Thessaly-Starcevo-LBK lot being pretty standard 'Barcin+WHG' and then maybe some more Greek_N-like farmers carrying a bit more CHG admixture. Probably the same event that brought Iran_Chl ancestry into the Kumtepe samples.

I remember reading about a Neolithic-Copper Age culture around the South Western edges of the Black Sea that may have come directly from Anatolia due to similarities in pottery types. Think it was Hamangia.

Plus there's the mystery of why EEF plot south of a cline going from Anatolian Neolithic to WHG.
    Last edited by Bas; 06-14-2018 at 03:11 AM.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Bas For This Useful Post:

Eвa (06-14-2018)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Omitted

MbutiDG Levant_N Barcin_N Boncuklu_N Z = -5
    MbutiDG Levant_N Barcin_N Tepecik_Ciftlik_N Z = -3
    MbutiDG Levant_N Barcin_N (European farmers) Z = +, usually approaching significance for EEF low in WHG.

I think that might have something to do with the weird cline.
    Collection of 14,000 d-stats: Hidden Content Part 2: Hidden Content Part 3: Hidden Content PM me for d-stats, qpadm, qpgraph, or f3-outgroup nmonte models.

Global Moderator
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Finnish
    Y-DNA (P)
    Father N1c
    mtDNA (M)
    I5a

Anatolia Neolithic yDNA is different from Levant Neolithic yDNA. Levant seems to be mostly E1b with some T1 and H2, while Anatolia Neolithic is mostly G2a2 with some I2, C1a2 and H. Therefore, Levant Neolithic is more basal and African, while Anatolia Neolithic seems to contain WHG haplogroups and G covered also CHG/Iran areas.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kristiina For This Useful Post:

bmoney (06-14-2018),  Shamayim (07-08-2018)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Omitted

It could be primarily a founder effect for E1b in the Levant, E1b does pop up here and there in EEF (we haven't found any in Anatolia, but we have a much smaller sample size). But there's also the mismatch of mtdna R0, super common in Levant, absent in Anatolia + Europe neolithics.

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Northwestern European
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1b L21>DF13
    mtDNA (M)
    K1a29a

France Belgium Flanders Wallonia Occitania France Bretagne
    Quote Originally Posted by Kale View Post
    The Greek neolithic samples model in qpadm nicely as 2/3 NW Anatolian, 1/3 Central Anatolian. Central Anatolians having a good chunk of Iran_N and/or CHG-related ancestry (15% +/- a lot).
    Which means something like an admixture of around 5% in Peloponnese Farmers. This is very low. And will be diluted in more recent populations. More a trace than anything else.

If I remember correctly, Peloponnese farmers didn't have much contribution to European Neolithics, except perhaps in the Mediterranean Islands.

What we see is probably a cline between WHG, ANE and BE.

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Northwestern European
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1b L21>DF13
    mtDNA (M)
    K1a29a

France Belgium Flanders Wallonia Occitania France Bretagne
    Quote Originally Posted by Bas View Post
    I tried running a mammoth set of D-Stats once, something like: Mbuti Iran_N Test_EEF_Pop Barcin_N and remember getting a few CHG hints in the Balkans (nothing more than -2 though) around the Copper Age but nothing too significant. I must have run around 200 d-stats and in the end I gave up.

There probably were a few different waves of farmers into Europe, with the first Thessaly-Starcevo-LBK lot being pretty standard 'Barcin+WHG' and then maybe some more Greek_N-like farmers carrying a bit more CHG admixture. Probably the same event that brought Iran_Chl ancestry into the Kumtepe samples.

I remember reading about a Neolithic-Copper Age culture around the South Western edges of the Black Sea that may have come directly from Anatolia due to similarities in pottery types. Think it was Hamangia.

Plus there's the mystery of why EEF plot south of a cline going from Anatolian Neolithic to WHG.
    If I remember correctly (same paper as the Peloponnese farmers?), they found 3 waves of Anatolian farmers in Europe.