Thread: is there maybe anyone from germany that could help me with the results?

is there maybe anyone from germany that could help me with the results?

I´m absolutely new to that page, but followed it already for a short period.
    Is there maybe anyone from germany or austria that could help my with my results?
    Hmm I expected a result like 80% europe west, 20% europe east and when comparing results from my heritage vs. dna land I got a lil confused (like all of my great-grandparents back to 1690 were "sudetes", lived in former Moravia and spoke german)
    …it s maybe just the reference groups and I am confused for no reason…but does it make sense??

My heritage (rounded)

80% north-west Europe
    15% Balkan
    5% Greece

why is there no europe east?

dnaland

Northwest European 47%
    South european 30%
    Balkan 2,5%
    North slavic 18%
    Sardinian 1,6%

why is there europe east?

glg

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    North & Ionian Seas
    Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA (P)
    I1 (P109)

England Italy Germany Scotland
    English can have overlap DNA from Scotland. Norway, and or Germany. France and Germany can have overlapping DNA, Poland(Prussia) and Germany can have overlapping DNA.....in other words DNA does not stop at the border. you can be ethnically French, but Culturally German and vice versa... if you're on the border....

thanks a lot for your answer, maybe I forced a wrong interpretation...for sure DNA does not stop at a country´s border and that is not the thing that troubles me at all...rather wanted to know why myheritage results are so different from dnaland in terms of eastern european ...

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    North & Ionian Seas
    Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA (P)
    I1 (P109)

Quote Originally Posted by Hannah Schneekugel View Post
    thanks a lot for your answer, maybe I forced a wrong interpretation...for sure DNA does not stop at a country´s border and that is not the thing that troubles me at all...rather wanted to know why myheritage results are so different from dnaland in terms of eastern european ...
    the commercial testing companies use different population groups from each other and some generalizations are made to fit ethnicities into their current population labels. use the various GEDmatch models to look for repeated regional populations and similar percentages to lend credibility to the readings.

thank you again......was my concern already by asking about reference groups ...like I run gedmatch and even got higher scores on balkan (mostly Bulgarian and Romanian) ...but are there open sources to check the reference groups from myheritage and dnaland....could be right for sure, but there should be at least a possibility to compare ???? no???

well and it should be taken with humor...I just did not find any austrians that talk about their results

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    North & Ionian Seas
    Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA (P)
    I1 (P109)

Balkan, Slavic, and Greek could all be part of the same group depending on the reference population. some DNA testing companies are using S.E. Europe now because they simply cannot accurately narrow it down because of overlapping DNA characteristics.

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Germanic, Celtic, Slavic

Germany Bundeswappen
    Hello Hannah,
    i got almost exactly the same results as you! But didn't come to any conclusion. Did you find anything of importance?

Registered Users
    Sex
    Nationality
    Australian
    Y-DNA (P)
    T-P322 (T1a2b1)
    mtDNA (M)
    H6a1

Australia Cornwall England Scotland Germany Poland
    Hannah, DNA testing is a really great way to find out which continent you came from - with great certainty these days.
    Although some people are still reporting a little confusion between Native American and Asian.
    Beyond that it can be unreliable and variable.

For quite a while, a couple of test labs said my father's German input had a high proportion of something maybe Turkish, maybe Afghan!
    That has gone now.
    More recently, one test lab insisted that the equivalent of my 3 great great grandparents were Scandinavian, but they have just re-distributed that as German and British.

And it is not just the labs.
    Biology throws out half of your DNA at each generation, so occasionally something goes missing there - or the proportions can go a little strange.
    I know people who have tested several brothers and sisters, and the variation can be quite large.

The general solution seems to be to chase cousin matches.

Now if I could just find that line that left Germany for Russia around 1830 and ended up eventually in America.
    Someone bumped into them somewhere....

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Saetro For This Useful Post:

Dewsloth (06-13-2018)

Gold Class Member
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    LebaGermish
    Y-DNA (P)
    P312>DF19>DF88
    mtDNA (M)
    J2a1a1e
    Y-DNA (M)
    J2a1 Z6065>Y7708>M47
    mtDNA (P)
    H1j

United States of America Lebanon Germany United Kingdom Belgium Switzerland
    Quote Originally Posted by Saetro View Post
    More recently, one test lab insisted that the equivalent of my 3 great great grandparents were Scandinavian, but they have just re-distributed that as German and British.
    I'm curious to see whether that happens with my Dad's results if Ancestry updated them.

In Lukasz' K36 (and on paper) he seems pretty solidly West German to SE English, but nearly all the others give him a chunk of Scandinavian.

It may be real, but I'm betting it's no more recent than 1066 More likely Migration Period or even earlier...

LivingDNA thinks he's Scandinavia 8.2% and Finland and Western Russia 1.8%, but they also give him NO German nor BeNeLux nor French. (71% Great Britain/Ireland)

Ancestry gives him 5% Scandinavian, 1% Finland/Russia (55% Europe West, 12% Ireland/Scotland/Wales, 2% British(!))*

FTDNA MyOrigins 47% British Isles, 34% West Central Europe, 0% Scandinavia ... but MyOrigins also gives me 0% British, 6% Scandinavian and 24% WCE* ... and my Mom is Lebanese and so gives me none of those components.

Edit:
    *For comparison, Ancestry gives me 19% Europe West, 4% Ireland/Scotland/Wales, 3% Great Britain (more than Dad!), 1% Scandinavian It is clearly NOT an exact science.
    Last edited by Dewsloth; 06-13-2018 at 10:20 PM.
    R1b>M269>L23>L51>L11>P312>DF19>DF88>FGC11833 >S4281>S4268>Z17112>BY44243

Ancestors: Francis Cooke (M223/I2a2a) b1583; Hester Mahieu (Cooke) (J1c2 mtDNA) b.1584; Richard Warren (E-M35) b1578; Elizabeth Walker (Warren) (H1j mtDNA) b1583;
    John Mead (I2a1/P37.2) b1634; Rev. Joseph Hull (I1, L1301+ L1302-) b1595; Benjamin Harrington (M223/I2a2a-Y5729) b1618; Joshua Griffith (L21>DF13) b1593;
    John Wing (U106) b1584; Thomas Gunn (DF19) b1605; Hermann Wilhelm (DF19) b1635

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Dewsloth For This Useful Post:

Saetro (06-14-2018)