Thread: English DNA - Ancestry vs GEDMatch Results?

English DNA - Ancestry vs GEDMatch Results?

Hi, I’ve just received my DNA results from Ancestry and was a little suprised. All the recent family that I can trace are largely from the South East of England with one Scottish line from a Great Grandmother. I ran my results through GEDMatch and am confused by the difference in results. Obviously I know that there’s no exact answer to my questions but general feedback on probability would be great! Thanks in advance!

My questions:
    1. Is the Asian DNA ¬Ďreal¬í? It shows up in all the GEDMatch results (except Eurogenes 36) at an average of about 5%.

2. Is the smal but consistent Oceanian, Sub Saharan and Amerindian ¬Ďreal¬í? Again - it shows in a few results? Obviously I realise they are minute amounts that are in all probability ¬Ďnoise¬í but the fact the consistently show I find curious.

3. In the Eurogenes 36 I have high Iberian and Italian results - could these be for real? I’m seeing broadly in the GEDMatch results that they put more of my dna into Mediterranean areas than Ancestry has?

Ancestry Results:

52% - Great Britain (Southern England + Wales and West Midlands)
    24% - Scandinavian
    18% - Europe West
    3% - Ireland/Scotland/Wales
    1% - Iberian Penninsula
    1% - Europe East
    <1% - Europe South

GEDMatch Eurogenes K13 Results:

52.64% - North Atlantic
    23.72% - Baltic
    12.96% - West Med
    6.25% - West Asian
    1.24% - East Med
    1.12% - South Asian
    0.74% - Red Sea
    0.66% - Sub Saharan
    0.43% - Oceanian
    0.24% - Amerindian

GEDMatch Eurogenes V2 K15 Results:

38.66% - North Sea
    28.24% - Atlantic
    11.14% - Baltic
    8.88% - West Med
    7.86% - East Europe
    3.64% - West Asian
    0.60% - South Asian
    0.57% - Sub Saharan
    0.27% - Red Sea
    0.14% - Oceanian

GEDMatch Eurogenes 36 Results:

21.01% - North Sea
    18.37% - North Atlantic
    16.40% - Iberian
    11.87% - Italian
    8.54% - East Central Europe
    8.08% - Fennoscandian
    6.13 % - Central Europe
    5.95% - French
    2.86% - Eastern Europe
    0.48% - Basque
    0.30% - East Balkan

GEDMatch MDLP World 22 Results:

51.08% - North East European
    33.66% - Atlantic Mediterranean Neolithic
    6.96% - West Asian
    3.03% - North European Mesolithic
    2.41% - Near East
    1.72% - Indo Iranian
    0.44% - Indian
    0.38% - Arctic Amerindian
    0.19% - Samoedic
    0.13% - Melanesian

GEDMatch MDLP K23b Results:

38.33% - Euro Hunter/Gather
    28.10% - Euro Early Farmer
    22.53% - Caucasian
    5.63% - South Central Asian
    4.92% - Ancestral Altaic
    0.36% - Sub Saharan
    0.08% - Archaic African
    0.06% - Archaic Human (Well I hope I’m human!)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    mixed European
    Nationality
    USA
    Y-DNA (P)
    Dad: R1b/L21/DF63
    mtDNA (M)
    K2b2
    Y-DNA (M)
    R1b-M269
    mtDNA (P)
    K2b1a1a

United States of America England Wales Sweden Germany
    Ancestry often gives Scandinavia or Europe West for English results. Your results from them are not uncommon for someone who is mostly all English. Both my sister and I get most of our English going into a combination of those two results (and way more Scandinavian than we actually have, although we both are about an eighth Swedish). Oddly enough, our Irish/Scottish/Welsh at around 20% looks right.

I've seen that here for people who are all English too, and also people from other countries getting Great Britain -- it seems to be hard to sort out, although there is an update expected and they may get better at it (and at getting rid of those trace regions).

On Gedmatch, I'd recommend doing the Eurogenes K13 and then looking at the spreadsheet (it's right under the buttons for the oracles). That will tell you what the average person in their sample gets for all the different values. It's normal for people all over Europe to get some percentage of West Asian (it's old ancestry), and I think 5-7% is pretty standard for someone who is English. It doesn't mean you have any recent Asian ancestry at all, probably.

Tiny bits of SSA and Amerindian are probably just noise at the level you have them.

Like K13 and the West Asian, percentages of Iberian and Italian (which probably reflect some degree of older migrations that exist in everyone in Europe to greater or lesser degrees, not actually ancestry from Spain or Italy) are common for people from the UK too. SE England does tend to get higher Italian than SW England, if memory serves, but that's probably because it's higher still in France and there was more historical influence from over the channel the farther east you get.

Ancestry DNA is being updated, so you'll more than likely find that your England Wales percentage increases. What are your oracle results saying for Eurogenes K13. I would probably avoid taking anything from the 4 populations mix.

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Geato-Saxon
    Y-DNA (P)
    I-L22 -> P109
    mtDNA (M)
    J1c5

Sweden Germany Imperial Scotland Northern Ireland Normandie
    If you want anything meaningful out of the GEDmatch data you really need to click the Oracle or Oracle4 button. Those components are somewhat arbitrarily named (e.g. 'West Asian' peaks around the Caucasus but all Europeans will score some) and reflect shared ancestry but the amounts are used to compare you to actual populations with tools like Oracle or nMonte.

Quote Originally Posted by Angriff View Post
    If you want anything meaningful out of the GEDmatch data you really need to click the Oracle or Oracle4 button. Those components are somewhat arbitrarily named (e.g. 'West Asian' peaks around the Caucasus but all Europeans will score some) and reflect shared ancestry but the amounts are used to compare you to actual populations with tools like Oracle or nMonte.
    My GEDMatch K13 Oracle result are:

1. Irish - 1.3
    2. West Scottish - 1.5
    3. Orcadian - 2.5
    4. Southwest English - 3.5
    5. North Dutch - 3.99
    6. Southeast England - 4.33

Iím very Southeastern England in my tree - except for one distant Scottish Line (Southern Border) so Iíve no idea why it says Irish/Scottish/Orcadian. Presumably my high Scandinavian is skewing my result? Iíve not a single drop of Irish whatsoever - backed up by Ancestry DNA!