Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Interpreting my mom's results? (Bengali Brahmin)

Registered Users
    Sex

Quote Originally Posted by MonkeyDLuffy View Post
    T mtdna is common in punjabis from what I've seen. But it's a different branch among Punjabis. Since Brahmins are later migrants to other parts of India, and they came from north, it makes sense for him to have T mtdna.
    The modern Brahmins don't descend fully from West Eurasian migrants. So they aren't migrants, they are actually mixed race from the migrants plus ASI.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to coolguy For This Useful Post:

bmoney (06-24-2018)

Registered Users
    Sex

Quote Originally Posted by redifflal View Post
    Sorry for such winded connections. I think Bengali Brahmins have been having very very small families for generations now, like everyone I can track down vertically upwards and horizontally outwards seems to have been keeping it to 2 maybe 3 kids per generation going back last two hundred years, and this last generation is down to 1. But as a consequence of that we also keep track of a lot of relations going back to cousins that may be related to us through a 6-7 generations ago ancestor lol.
    Doesn't that mean you would keep track of thousands of cousins?

Global Moderator
    Sex
    mtDNA (M)
    M30
    mtDNA (P)
    U2C1
    Y-DNA (M)
    R1a-Y6
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1a-L657>Y6

Quote Originally Posted by coolguy View Post
    The modern Brahmins don't descend fully from West Eurasian migrants. So they aren't migrants, they are actually mixed race from the migrants plus ASI.
    Aren't ASI(or AASI?) also migrants. As far as I know, OOA is still a valid theory for the origin of modern humans.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to poi For This Useful Post:

bmoney (06-24-2018)

Registered Users
    Sex

Quote Originally Posted by poi View Post
    Aren't ASI(or AASI?) also migrants. As far as I know, OOA is still a valid theory for the origin of modern humans.
    ASI's migrated to India 60,000-70,000 years ago, so they are even more indigenous to India than Native Americans are native to America. The West Eurasian invaders/migrants started arriving 10,000 years ago and they continued arriving and mixing with Indians since then, even recently like the British invaders. So ASI is a different type of migrant than West Eurasians. I think in modern times ASIs can be considered pretty much as indigenous Indians but west Eurasians are recent migrants who have a different look and race.

Banned
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Bengali
    mtDNA (M)
    M52A
    Y-DNA (P)
    R2A2 (R-P267)

Quote Originally Posted by coolguy View Post
    Doesn't that mean you would keep track of thousands of cousins?
    Not thousands. Like I said, small families for several generations now. Up till three generations ago we lived in joint family setups so maybe folks related to each other by previous 4 generations under same roof coupled with those maybe 6-7 generations previous in adjoining plot. With breakdown of joint family structure, you still maintain networks and definitely don't lose track of who's related and how. As far as Bengali Brahmins go, we latched on to upward socio economic mobility by becoming participants with British colonial rule. We did this by going to British run schools, getting administrative jobs that sent different branches from these mega joint families across length and breadth of British India. Zamindari among Bengali Brahmins also largely dates to this time period. It was convenient because a Bengali Brahmin always was able to find a relative if traveling to Peshawar or Rangoon didn't matter lol. Also joint family structure didn't break immediately in one go. For a while the routine was the young man would maybe live in and work in say Lucknow but return home to Bengal ancestral home for marriage or for son's thread ceremony or for cremation of relative or for retirement. Over time the returning to the root home began decreasing, especially accelerated by partition when many of the East Bengal rooted Brahmins ended up losing that root altogether.
    Either way the legacy of the joint family setup while still being functionally mobile and aided along with small immediate family sizes helps us keep track of several degrees of family trees and cousins.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to redifflal For This Useful Post:

bmoney (06-26-2018),  coolguy (06-26-2018)

Global Moderator
    Sex
    mtDNA (M)
    M30
    mtDNA (P)
    U2C1
    Y-DNA (M)
    R1a-Y6
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1a-L657>Y6

Quote Originally Posted by redifflal View Post
    Not thousands. Like I said, small families for several generations now. Up till three generations ago we lived in joint family setups so maybe folks related to each other by previous 4 generations under same roof coupled with those maybe 6-7 generations previous in adjoining plot. With breakdown of joint family structure, you still maintain networks and definitely don't lose track of who's related and how. As far as Bengali Brahmins go, we latched on to upward socio economic mobility by becoming participants with British colonial rule. We did this by going to British run schools, getting administrative jobs that sent different branches from these mega joint families across length and breadth of British India. Zamindari among Bengali Brahmins also largely dates to this time period. It was convenient because a Bengali Brahmin always was able to find a relative if traveling to Peshawar or Rangoon didn't matter lol. Also joint family structure didn't break immediately in one go. For a while the routine was the young man would maybe live in and work in say Lucknow but return home to Bengal ancestral home for marriage or for son's thread ceremony or for cremation of relative or for retirement. Over time the returning to the root home began decreasing, especially accelerated by partition when many of the East Bengal rooted Brahmins ended up losing that root altogether.
    Either way the legacy of the joint family setup while still being functionally mobile and aided along with small immediate family sizes helps us keep track of several degrees of family trees and cousins.
    I have a big family from both sides(but until a generation ago) and apparently have hundreds, if not thousands, of "cousins". One of the closest hits in 23andme was this guy with Hindu first name and Scottish last name. HUGE segment match. It turned out that he was descendent of my paternal grandfather's maternal uncle... a couple of decades ago, he and his sister were orphaned. No clue that had happened due to the size of the family and the disconnect. Anyway, he and his sister were adopted by Americans. They kept his first name and changed the last name. His sister was adopted by another family and has English first and last names. I think I was the only one they were able to connect. Glad I made my 23andme public lol

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to poi For This Useful Post:

bmoney (06-26-2018),  parasar (08-05-2019),  redifflal (06-25-2018)

Gold Class Member
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Punjabi Sikh Ramgarhia
    Nationality
    Canadian
    mtDNA (M)
    M3a2
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1a-Y2568*

India Punjab Canada Azad Baluchistan Sikh Empire Nishan Sahib
    Didn't know where to post, but found a bhumihar bromin result, which kinda shows that you scoring high med is completely possible as a brahmin, just part of diversity:

# Population Percent
    1 S-Indian 39.81
    2 Baloch 36.31
    3 NE-Euro 12.66
    4 Caucasian 5.58
    5 Mediterranean 3.59
    6 Beringian 0.84
    7 SE-Asian 0.61
    8 W-African 0.53
    9 Papuan 0.08
    Deg Teg Fateh - Victory to Charity and Arms

Punjab, Punjabi, Fateh.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MonkeyDLuffy For This Useful Post:

parasar (08-05-2019),  poi (08-05-2019)

Registered Users
    Ethnicity
    Brahmin (mixed)
    Nationality
    Indian
    mtDNA (M)
    M-30
    Y-DNA (P)
    R-1A (Z-93)

Didn't know where to post, but found a bhumihar bromin result, which kinda shows that you scoring high med is completely possible as a brahmin, just part of diversity:

# Population Percent
    1 S-Indian 39.81
    2 Baloch 36.31
    3 NE-Euro 12.66
    4 Caucasian 5.58
    5 Mediterranean 3.59
    6 Beringian 0.84
    7 SE-Asian 0.61
    8 W-African 0.53
    9 Papuan 0.08
    My cousin scores similar med at the "cost" of his NE Euro/Caucasian on Harappa.

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 26284729292 For This Useful Post:

bmoney (08-05-2019),  FrostAssassin0701 (08-05-2019),  MonkeyDLuffy (08-05-2019)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Bengali Brahmin
    Nationality
    American
    mtDNA (M)
    T2f
    Y-DNA (P)
    R-L295

United States of America Bangladesh India United Kingdom

# Population Percent
    1 S-Indian 39.81
    2 Baloch 36.31
    3 NE-Euro 12.66
    4 Caucasian 5.58
    5 Mediterranean 3.59
    6 Beringian 0.84
    7 SE-Asian 0.61
    8 W-African 0.53
    9 Papuan 0.08
    I wonder if this sample is on V5 which could inflate med to an extent. I have found 2-3% med to be fairly common among brahmins though.

16. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to FrostAssassin0701 For This Useful Post:

26284729292 (08-05-2019),  bmoney (08-05-2019),  pnb123 (08-05-2019),  poi (08-05-2019)

Registered Users
    Sex
    mtDNA (M)
    M30
    Y-DNA (P)
    L1a1/R-L295

Quote Originally Posted by FrostAssassin0701 View Post
    I wonder if this sample is on V5 which could inflate med to an extent. I have found 2-3% med to be fairly common among brahmins though.
    Med comes both via steppe and without it, ironically Sintashtas Med (ANF/Levant N type signature) makes it more modern European looking than Yamna which pulls much more towards ANE

IIRC Midi scores Med without NE Euro

18. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to bmoney For This Useful Post:

26284729292 (08-05-2019),  FrostAssassin0701 (08-05-2019),  MonkeyDLuffy (08-06-2019),  parasar (08-05-2019),  pnb123 (08-05-2019)

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast