Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: S/SC ASIAN Results :: FTDNA

Quote Originally Posted by coolguy View Post
    Can somebody explain why north and central India and eastern Pakistan are labelled Central Asia? I have seen some other websites also mislabeled clearly South Asian components under Central Asia. The real Central Asia except for parts of Afghanistan and Tajikistan is mostly Mongoloid and Mongoloid-Caucasoid hybrids. What do they have to do with brown, racially South Asian people who are considered South Asian everywhere? And why did they give ancient European origins for non-Europeans?
    You are right in pointing out to this error. Central Asia is not India/Pakistan but countries like Tajikistan, Uzbekistan, Turkmenistan, Kazakhstan etc. . Afghanistan is not so central Asian though as most of its population is either pakthun or farsi speakers with a minority central Asian people living in the north of Afghanistan.

Definition of central asia from encyclopedia Britannica :

Central Asia, central region of Asia, extending from the Caspian Sea in the west to the border of western China in the east. It is bounded on the north by Russia and on the south by Iran, Afghanistan, and China. The region consists of the former Soviet republics of Kazakhstan, Uzbekistan, Tajikistan, Kyrgyzstan, and Turkmenistan

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Saad2016 For This Useful Post:

Rahuls77 (06-26-2018)

Registered Users
    Sex

Quote Originally Posted by MonkeyDLuffy View Post

Anyhow, on the post, at most NW south Asia can be used with South Central asia since it is such a huge geographic region. I believe they divided it based on genetics of people of that region which does create a circle of some kind.

And ancient origins simply apply on all the the populations in the world that have genetic contribution from Hunter gatherers, Neolithic farmers and steppe pops.
    I think NW South Asia is also a wrong generalization. Not everyone in NW South Asia has the same ancestry. Some Punjabis are more similar to some South Indians than to other Punjabis. I think they should just divide the South Asia category into ANI and ASI.
    Last edited by coolguy; 06-26-2018 at 05:01 PM.

Registered Users
    Sex

Quote Originally Posted by Saad2016 View Post
    You are right in pointing out to this error. Central Asia is not India/Pakistan but countries like Tajikistan, Uzbekistan, Turkmenistan, Kazakhstan etc. . Afghanistan is not so central Asian though as most of its population is either pakthun or farsi speakers with a minority central Asian people living in the north of Afghanistan.
    I agree. I think Afghanistan and west Pakistan can be considered South-Central Asia (ie transitional between south and central Asia). Eastern Pakistan and North India (except maybe Kashmir) is just south Asia, they are too south Asian to be considered transitional.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to coolguy For This Useful Post:

Saad2016 (06-26-2018)

Global Moderator
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Baloch Kashmiri Uzbek Kho
    Nationality
    USA
    Y-DNA
    R-Y17491 > R-YP4858
    mtDNA
    A8a

Pakistan United States of America
    MODERATOR NOTE: I am going to rename and sticky this thread. This will be the official curation thread of all FTDNA results. DO NOT start a new thread for individual results for any company. I will be making a similar sticky thread for 23andme, AncestryDNA, and LivingDNA.
    Additionally, I will be making a spreadsheet for each respective company so that we have a subforum-wide curation for each company.

If you have a request for another company, let me know. I will make a sticky.
    Last edited by khanabadoshi; 06-26-2018 at 08:32 PM.
    “Chahar chez est tohfay Multan, Gard-o- Garma, Gada-o- Goristan”.

Four things are the gift of Multan: Dusty winds, hot seasons, beggars and graveyards.

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to khanabadoshi For This Useful Post:

bmoney (06-27-2018),  poi (06-26-2018),  Varun R (06-26-2018)

Global Moderator
    Sex
    Y-DNA
    R1a-L657>Y6
    mtDNA
    M30

Quote Originally Posted by khanabadoshi View Post
    MODERATOR NOTE: I am going to rename and sticky this thread. This will be the official curation thread of all FTDNA results. DO NOT start a new thread for individual results for any company. I will be making a similar sticky thread for 23andme, AncestryDNA, and LivingDNA.
    Additionally, I will be making a spreadsheet for each respective company so that we have a subforum-wide curation for each company.
    WTG bro! This helps things be tidy and info available in 1 place.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to poi For This Useful Post:

khanabadoshi (06-26-2018),  misanthropy (06-26-2018)

Global Moderator
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Baloch Kashmiri Uzbek Kho
    Nationality
    USA
    Y-DNA
    R-Y17491 > R-YP4858
    mtDNA
    A8a

Pakistan United States of America
    Quote Originally Posted by poi View Post
    WTG bro! This helps things be tidy and info available in 1 place.
    Yeah, I need to tidy up the forum. It's driving me nuts. We have lots of information but it's scattered all over. We make way too many redundant threads.
    I am also going to make a Haplogroup sticky thread.
    Last edited by khanabadoshi; 06-26-2018 at 08:33 PM.
    “Chahar chez est tohfay Multan, Gard-o- Garma, Gada-o- Goristan”.

Four things are the gift of Multan: Dusty winds, hot seasons, beggars and graveyards.

12. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to khanabadoshi For This Useful Post:

agent_lime (06-27-2018),  bmoney (06-27-2018),  misanthropy (06-26-2018),  Observer (07-04-2018),  poi (06-26-2018)

Quote Originally Posted by poi View Post
    That’s so weird! My results on the European side is totally Eastern European (8%) and my South Central Asian isn’t nearly as high (13%). But I also get Siberian and NE Asian, as you.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Smashorpass For This Useful Post:

pnb123 (07-08-2018),  poi (07-07-2018)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Deccani Muslim
    Y-DNA
    E-L677
    mtDNA
    M2B

United States of America India Yemen
    Me and poi get 7% and 8% SE Europe, respectively. Dunno what's up with that but the only similarity I see with poi is me having a lot of maternal ancestors from UP (more westward before that) while he's Nepali Brahmin.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to misanthropy For This Useful Post:

pnb123 (07-08-2018),  poi (07-08-2018)

Registered Users
    Sex

Transfer from 23andmeV4

Last edited by pnb123; 07-09-2018 at 04:41 AM.

18. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to pnb123 For This Useful Post:

bmoney (07-08-2018),  khanabadoshi (07-08-2018),  poi (07-08-2018)

Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast