Thread: Which specific areas of English DNA show as Celtic or French?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Registered Users
    Sex
    Omitted
    mtDNA (M)
    V3c

Italy Canada Quebec England Scotland

Which specific areas of English DNA show as Celtic or French?

My mother is (according to paper trail) 25% English, which puts me and my sister each at about 12.5%. (She's 75% French for reference on results ) What I'm curious about is if different areas of England tend to show up as other regions in Ancestry's test. I myself seem to show pretty little, my sister shows more but hers along with my mom's show as Ireland/Scotland/Wales. I'm not sure if mine are falling into Europe West for me, but I'm curious if anyone else with known ancestry in the same parts of England has their English DNA show up somewhere else?

My sister and I are 50% Italian from my Dad so I didn't put the rest of our results, I figured they had no bearing on this, correct me if I'm wrong.

Me:
    Europe West: 29%
    Ireland/Scotland/Wales: 5%
    Great Britain: 2%

Sister:
    Ireland/Scotland/Wales: 16%
    Europe West: 11%
    Great Britain: <1%

Mom:
    Europe West: 48%
    Ireland/Scotland/Wales: 19%
    Great Britain: 4%

My mom's results are odd since she only shows 48% Europe West but she's got a ton of trace regions which I'm sure will disappear with the update. That aside, mine and my sister's amounts are super different, I know we probably inherited different amounts which accounts for that, but what surprises me most is the tiny amount of Great Britain for all of us. My mom's English family comes from about 50% Cambridgeshire, 25% Yorkshire, and 25% Lancashire. I wonder if the Ireland/Scotland/Wales for us is a bit like how everyone seems to get crazy amounts of Scandinavian on their results....

I suppose I'm most interested to know if other people with English DNA with these specific areas show as something else or if this is a weird trait of AncestryDNA.
    Thoughts or anyone have something similar?

2. The Following User Says Thank You to euromutt For This Useful Post:

Nqp15hhu (06-29-2018)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    mixed European
    Nationality
    USA
    Y-DNA (P)
    Dad: R1b/L21/DF63
    mtDNA (M)
    K2b2
    Y-DNA (M)
    R1b-M269
    mtDNA (P)
    K2b1a1a

United States of America England Wales Sweden Germany
    My Irish/Scottish/Welsh numbers seem to be pretty consistent with the paper trail, perhaps a little low (I'm about a quarter Welsh, and perhaps a quarter Scots Irish, although some of that could be English, and get 20%, as does my sister). Our English gets mostly split between Europe West and Scandinavian, although I get more of the former, she gets more of the latter.

Our English (about 50-60%) is from a variety of areas, with the most significant being Shropshire and Essex (Bocking, Little Waltham). It seems to have a southern tilt overall according to LivingDNA.

Neither of my parents tested at Ancestry, but at MyHeritage (FTDNA upload) my mother's English gets pretty much all identified as Scottish/Irish/Welsh. Unfortunately I don't know where in England her relatives were from -- all my more specific locations come from my dad's side.
    Last edited by msmarjoribanks; 06-25-2018 at 07:15 PM.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to msmarjoribanks For This Useful Post:

euromutt (06-25-2018),  JonikW (06-25-2018)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Omitted
    mtDNA (M)
    V3c

Quote Originally Posted by msmarjoribanks View Post
    My Irish/Scottish/Welsh numbers seem to be pretty consistent with the paper trail, perhaps a little low (I'm about a quarter Welsh, and perhaps a quarter Scots Irish, although some of that could be English, and get 20%, as does my sister). Our English gets mostly split between Europe West and Scandinavian, although I get more of the former, she gets more of the latter.

Our English (about 50-60%) is from a variety of areas, with the most significant being Shropshire and Essex (Bocking, Little Waltham). It seems to have a southern tilt overall according to LivingDNA.

Neither of my parents tested at Ancestry, but at MyHeritage (FTDNA upload) my mother's English gets pretty much all identified as Scottish/Irish/Welsh. Unfortunately I don't know where in England her relatives were from -- all my more specific locations come from my dad's side.
    So it definitely seems like a lot of companies have a habit of mislabeling English, at least for your family and mine. I know Ancestry is notorious for the Scandinavian, but I've got 2%, my mom has 4% and my sister has 7%. My mother's range goes as high as 19% though with my sister as high as 18%, I'm only as high as 11%

I'm waiting on my LivingDNA results, I'm very curious to see if it'll place my ancestry in the areas I know we come from. I don't know the migration paths within England very well, but at least where my family is from seems to be Northern and Central (not sure if that's how people generally break down England? I know I'm not Southern though.)

I know a lot of people who have gotten the update have said their English is now way higher than it should be, I just hope the update is able to more correctly divide up our French and English, as far as I know we don't have any Celtic roots.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to euromutt For This Useful Post:

JonikW (06-25-2018),  msmarjoribanks (06-25-2018)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Omitted
    mtDNA (M)
    V3c

I'm reposting this to the Celtic section, I figure it might be more relevant over there.
    Thank you though!