Page 1 of 31 12311 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 309

Thread: S/SC ASIAN Results :: 23andMe

  1. #1
    Global Moderator
    Posts
    3,248
    Sex
    Location
    Chicago
    Ethnicity
    Baloch Kashmiri Uzbek Kho
    Nationality
    USA
    Y-DNA
    R-Y17491 > R-YP4858
    mtDNA
    A8a

    Pakistan United States of America

    S/SC ASIAN Results :: 23andMe

    Post your 23andMe results here. Be sure to include the Version of your kit and at your convenience add your results to this spreadsheet: S/SC ASIAN :: 23andMe Ancestry Composition.
    DO NOT create a new thread for individual results.
    Last edited by khanabadoshi; 07-09-2018 at 03:05 PM.

  2. The Following User Says Thank You to khanabadoshi For This Useful Post:

     misanthropy (06-26-2018)

  3. #2
    Registered Users
    Posts
    303
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Deccani Muslim
    Y-DNA
    E-V22 (E-L677)
    mtDNA
    M2B3

    United States of America India Yemen Ethiopia
    Edit: V4

    Last edited by misanthropy; 06-27-2018 at 12:37 AM.

  4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to misanthropy For This Useful Post:

     spicyshuwa&empanadas (09-13-2018),  ssamlal (07-05-2018)

  5. #3
    Gold Member Class
    Posts
    3,028
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Nepali Brahmin
    Y-DNA
    R1a-L657>Y6
    mtDNA
    M30

    I have v5.

    100% South Asian. 100% Nepal. So, their definition of South Asia's Nepal component must be restricted to the Indic group.

    I know a Tamang Nepali, a native TibetoBurman, and he got 63% Central Asia, 37% East Asia, so 0% Nepal haha. Not sure of his country breakdown. I will ask him when I meet him next time.

  6. The Following User Says Thank You to poi For This Useful Post:

     bmoney (07-01-2018)

  7. #4
    Registered Users
    Posts
    68
    Sex

    Quote Originally Posted by poi View Post
    I have v5.

    100% South Asian. 100% Nepal. So, their definition of South Asia's Nepal component must be restricted to the Indic group.

    I know a Tamang Nepali, a native TibetoBurman, and he got 63% Central Asia, 37% East Asia, so 0% Nepal haha. Not sure of his country breakdown. I will ask him when I meet him next time.
    I think it was a wrong decision for 23andme to divide South Asian genes into the different countries. Because each of those countries has very diverse genetics. Sometime ago, East Africans used to get a percentage of Southeast Bantu (reflecting their Sub-Saharan African ancestry) and Middle Eastern (reflecting their West Eurasian ancestry). I think the same should be done for South Asians. They could use Middle East or Caucasus to represent the ANI ancestry, and they could use Melanesian to represent ASI.

  8. #5
    Registered Users
    Posts
    259
    Sex

    Quote Originally Posted by coolguy View Post
    I think it was a wrong decision for 23andme to divide South Asian genes into the different countries. Because each of those countries has very diverse genetics. Sometime ago, East Africans used to get a percentage of Southeast Bantu (reflecting their Sub-Saharan African ancestry) and Middle Eastern (reflecting their West Eurasian ancestry). I think the same should be done for South Asians. They could use Middle East or Caucasus to represent the ANI ancestry, and they could use Melanesian to represent ASI.
    Breakdown is exactly what one is looking for otherwise everyone knows which country and which ethnic group they belong to, a south asian doesn't need 23andme to tell him that he is a south asian or not.

  9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jatt1 For This Useful Post:

     bmoney (07-01-2018),  misanthropy (06-28-2018),  MonkeyDLuffy (06-28-2018)

  10. #6
    Gold Member Class
    Posts
    3,028
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Nepali Brahmin
    Y-DNA
    R1a-L657>Y6
    mtDNA
    M30

    Quote Originally Posted by coolguy View Post
    I think it was a wrong decision for 23andme to divide South Asian genes into the different countries. Because each of those countries has very diverse genetics. Sometime ago, East Africans used to get a percentage of Southeast Bantu (reflecting their Sub-Saharan African ancestry) and Middle Eastern (reflecting their West Eurasian ancestry). I think the same should be done for South Asians. They could use Middle East or Caucasus to represent the ANI ancestry, and they could use Melanesian to represent ASI.
    The core customer base for 23andme(and others) is hardly looking for their ancient BronzeAge/IronAge ancestry, rather the core base wants to know their European/African countries of origin. If the average 23andme customer starts seeing "Steppe 32%, WHG 30%, ENF 37%" (made up those percentages, not sure about the breakdown lol) in their 23andme report, they would go WTF and start demanding refunds. FTDNA is trying to do with their "Ancient Origins" and it probably is good for Europeans/Africans, but not for South Asians when we're getting 60% Metal-age Invaders.

  11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to poi For This Useful Post:

     Censored (08-01-2018),  Rahuls77 (09-06-2018)

  12. #7
    Registered Users
    Posts
    68
    Sex

    Quote Originally Posted by poi View Post
    The core customer base for 23andme(and others) is hardly looking for their ancient BronzeAge/IronAge ancestry, rather the core base wants to know their European/African countries of origin. If the average 23andme customer starts seeing "Steppe 32%, WHG 30%, ENF 37%" (made up those percentages, not sure about the breakdown lol) in their 23andme report, they would go WTF and start demanding refunds. FTDNA is trying to do with their "Ancient Origins" and it probably is good for Europeans/Africans, but not for South Asians when we're getting 60% Metal-age Invaders.
    Still, I think a lot of South Asians (who already know their ethnicity) want to actually know how (ancestral) South Indian and (ancestral) North Indian they are.

    If they got a report saying they're 53% Melanesian and 44% Middle Eastern, they probably would go "WTF". But I don't think they'd be surprised if they saw it broken down into (ancestral) south and north Indian (or other names that correspond to these components), because most people know that these ancestral components are racially distinct.

  13. The Following User Says Thank You to coolguy For This Useful Post:

     26284729292 (07-14-2018)

  14. #8
    Gold Member Class
    Posts
    3,028
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Nepali Brahmin
    Y-DNA
    R1a-L657>Y6
    mtDNA
    M30

    Quote Originally Posted by coolguy View Post
    Still, I think a lot of South Asians (who already know their ethnicity) want to actually know how (ancestral) South Indian and (ancestral) North Indian they are.

    If they got a report saying they're 53% Melanesian and 44% Middle Eastern, they probably would go "WTF". But I don't think they'd be surprised if they saw it broken down into (ancestral) south and north Indian (or other names that correspond to these components), because most people know that these ancestral components are racially distinct.
    2 things: South Asians that care about genetics seems to be virtually non-existent considering there are 0 companies in South Asia that do ancestral dna testing. If there was a market for it, there would be many. The culture is everybody has some mythological origin story and no genetic testing is necessary for that.

    Secondly, those SAs far and between that actually give a damn, they all seem to be in the West. And, in the West, SAs have virtually no buying power for a multi-million dollar company to cater to. This is true for other groups as well, hence the prolification of small startups focusing on personal genetics calculators.

  15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to poi For This Useful Post:

     bmoney (07-01-2018),  MuslimPatel123 (06-28-2018)

  16. #9
    Registered Users
    Posts
    183
    Sex
    Location
    America
    Ethnicity
    Pashtun
    Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA
    R-Z93
    mtDNA
    U2c1

    United States of America Pashtunistan Afghanistan Greater Khorasan Azad Baluchistan Tajikistan
    V5

    Last edited by Mingle; 06-28-2018 at 01:05 AM.

  17. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Mingle For This Useful Post:

     Jatt1 (07-14-2018),  khanabadoshi (06-28-2018),  misanthropy (06-28-2018),  poi (06-28-2018),  Sapporo (06-29-2018)

  18. #10
    Gold Member Class
    Posts
    1,294
    Sex
    mtDNA
    u2b2 gonur;swat


    Durrani central-Kandahar

    5.7% Annunaki fo sure

    V4

    Melli's (Momand, Durrani and 1/4th Nuristani)-Kunduz


    V4
    Last edited by surbakhunWeesste; 06-28-2018 at 02:39 AM.

  19. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to surbakhunWeesste For This Useful Post:

     bmoney (07-01-2018),  Eвa (07-04-2018),  jama0112 (12-24-2018),  Jatt1 (07-14-2018),  khanabadoshi (06-28-2018),  misanthropy (06-28-2018),  poi (06-28-2018),  Sapporo (06-29-2018),  spicyshuwa&empanadas (07-14-2018)

Page 1 of 31 12311 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. S/SC ASIAN Results :: FTDNA
    By misanthropy in forum Hindi
    Replies: 115
    Last Post: 10-13-2018, 06:00 PM
  2. Replies: 16
    Last Post: 08-25-2018, 11:09 AM
  3. West Asian component on 23andme
    By Alanson in forum Autosomal (auDNA)
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-08-2018, 03:30 PM
  4. 23andme test, <1% South Asian ?
    By IphonePlus in forum 23andMe
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 03-22-2017, 09:55 PM
  5. South Asian results in 23andme
    By Skyfall in forum 23andMe
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 09-30-2015, 05:11 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •