Ethnicity
    Brahmin (mixed)
    Nationality
    Indian
    Y-DNA
    R-1A (Z-93)
    mtDNA
    M-30

Some of my relatives on here obviously are non-indian because the SNP's are small, but I also have some distant khatri/arora like matches? I have a few khuranas and ahujas on there. Enough to suggest some curiosity?

Global Moderator
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Baloch Kashmiri Uzbek Kho
    Nationality
    USA
    Y-DNA
    R-Y17491 > R-YP4858
    mtDNA
    A8a

Pakistan United States of America
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam A View Post
    So from parental inheritance from phasing I found out that my dad is barely 1/4 Indian when I was instead expecting him to be half.. is that typical for a half Indo-Mauritian?

I wouldn't think so, most of the Indo-Mauritians that I've met seem to be of full or majority South Asian descent. Specifically, many Mauritians trace their ancestry to Bhojpur in Bihar; others are of Tamil-descent. There was one who seemed to be mixed a bit, I believe with Chinese.

So your father is coming out ~ 27% South Asian; 15.6% European; 33.2% East Asian; 15.4% SSA; and 6.2% Unassigned. So he is coming less South Asian and African than you expected based on what you've written of his ancestry [.25 Malagasy; .25 Cantonese; .375 Uttar Pradesh; .125 English] and more East Asian and European. I think you paternal grandfather might have been closer to .75 Cantonese and .25 Malagasy as opposed to half-half. Your paternal grandmother is coming out slightly more English than you expected.

However, all this is based on your and your mother's results. It's quite possible that his actual results will be different, and in turn you actually inherited less South Asian and more European from your Mother than currently shown; this would increase the amount of South Asian you inherited from your Father and decrease the European. That being said, it doesn't explain the Cantonese... you inherited 16.6% from your father and 0.1 from your mother; which means that you must be ~ 16.7% East Asian; if that's all from your Father, he is either more Cantonese than you realize, or you just happened to inherit that majority of his 25% (which is possible, but not likely).

Also... elephant in the room is that 6.2% of his ancestry is Unassigned. Let's assume all that goes to South Asian... then his results are a little closer to what you expected, but not quite.
    Last edited by khanabadoshi; 01-06-2019 at 10:56 AM.
    “Chahar chez est tohfay Multan, Gard-o- Garma, Gada-o- Goristan”.

Four things are the gift of Multan: Dusty winds, hot seasons, beggars and graveyards.

3. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to khanabadoshi For This Useful Post:

Adam A (01-06-2019),  Jatt1 (01-06-2019),  Kart (01-16-2019),  parasar (01-06-2019)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Omitted

Quote Originally Posted by khanabadoshi View Post

I wouldn't think so, most of the Indo-Mauritians that I've met seem to be of full or majority South Asian descent. Specifically, many Mauritians trace their ancestry to Bhojpur in Bihar; others are of Tamil-descent. There was one who seemed to be mixed a bit, I believe with Chinese.

So your father is coming out ~ 27% South Asian; 15.6% European; 33.2% East Asian; 15.4% SSA; and 6.2% Unassigned. So he is coming less South Asian and African than you expected based on what you've written of his ancestry [.25 Malagasy; .25 Cantonese; .375 Uttar Pradesh; .125 English] and more East Asian and European. I think you paternal grandfather might have been closer to .75 Cantonese and .25 Malagasy as opposed to half-half. Your paternal grandmother is coming out slightly more English than you expected.

However, all this is based on your and your mother's results. It's quite possible that his actual results will be different, and in turn you actually inherited less South Asian and more European from your Mother than currently shown; this would increase the amount of South Asian you inherited from your Father and decrease the European. That being said, it doesn't explain the Cantonese... you inherited 16.6% from your father and 0.1 from your mother; which means that you must be ~ 16.7% East Asian; if that's all from your Father, he is either more Cantonese than you realize, or you just happened to inherit that majority of his 25% (which is possible, but not likely).

Also... elephant in the room is that 6.2% of his ancestry is Unassigned. Let's assume all that goes to South Asian... then his results are a little closer to what you expected, but not quite.
    Malagasy themselves as partly east Asian .so that would explain higher east Asian and lesser african .
    As for the lower South Asian the malagasy Indians might as well have mixed native malagasy .

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BMG For This Useful Post:

Adam A (01-06-2019),  khanabadoshi (01-06-2019),  Sapporo (01-06-2019)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Multiracial
    Nationality
    British
    Y-DNA
    O-F1399
    mtDNA
    U5b1

Madagascar Mauritius Spain Indonesia India China
    Quote Originally Posted by khanabadoshi View Post

Thank you for the explanation, I too am fairly confused about my paternal grandfathers side. Malagasy are typically around half African and half Southeast Asian, but from pictures my Malagasy great grandmother looks much more African than Indonesian so I assumed i'd get somewhere between 10 or 11% African and a tiny trace of Southeast Asian originally. But then it seems my Cantonese side is actually predominantly Southeast Asian instead, which is leaving me really puzzled. Most full blooded Cantonese from Guangdong get at very least 80% Chinese but by proportion my Cantonese great grandfather would've only been 36.8%!

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Adam A For This Useful Post:

Jatt1 (01-06-2019),  khanabadoshi (01-06-2019),  parasar (01-06-2019)

Registered Users

https://www.pnas.org/content/114/32/E6498
    "Admixture and demographic growth happened recently, suggesting a rapid settlement of Madagascar during the last millennium. However, the distribution of African and Asian ancestry across the island reveals that the admixture was sex biased and happened heterogeneously across Madagascar, suggesting independent colonization of Madagascar from Africa and Asia rather than settlement by an already admixed population ...
    the maternal lineages are predominantly from Island Southeast Asia, whereas paternal lineages are mainly from Africa (Figs. 3 and 6). This difference suggests a strong sex bias involving contributions from Bantu males diffusing from the north to the south. The earliest admixture dates are around 800 y BP on the Madagascar eastern coast, suggesting that the southeast was already settled by Austronesians (men and women) before the arrival of Africans (primarily men)."

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to parasar For This Useful Post:

Adam A (01-06-2019),  Jatt1 (01-06-2019)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Punjabi Khatri/J&K/Multan
    Nationality
    India
    Y-DNA
    J2b2
    mtDNA
    U2b

India United States of America India Punjab Jammu and Kashmir
    Quote Originally Posted by 26284729292 View Post
    Some of my relatives on here obviously are non-indian because the SNP's are small, but I also have some distant khatri/arora like matches? I have a few khuranas and ahujas on there. Enough to suggest some curiosity?
    I get European some matches at 5th cousin and above through shared Steppe. Brahmins were from the same area originally as the Khatris/ Aroras then moved down into mainland India. So it makes sense that you get some matches, with the Sindhi matches they are also similar to Khatris with more Baloch.

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to agent_lime For This Useful Post:

26284729292 (01-07-2019),  aaronbee2010 (01-16-2019),  FrostAssassin0701 (01-16-2019)

Bronze Class Member
    Sex

Turkmenistan Suriname South Africa Costa Rica Norway Australia
    My results were updated. West Asian and African is now gone. This is not surprising as I have all but confirmed that those ancestries aren't there.

update.jpg
    Last edited by Censored; 01-16-2019 at 04:52 AM.

13. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Censored For This Useful Post:

FrostAssassin0701 (01-16-2019),  jortita (01-17-2019),  Kart (01-16-2019),  misanthropy (01-16-2019),  parasar (01-16-2019)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Deccani Muslim
    Y-DNA
    E-V22 (E-L677)
    mtDNA
    M2B3

United States of America India Yemen Ethiopia
    My V4 got updated as well. It seems like they’re converting the older data onto their newer database or something for V5. 2% of foreign gone and added into South Asian. All 1.7% of West Asian disappeared (but my brother still has 0.9% on V5), subtract 0.3% from East African (now Ethiopian & Eritrean), subtract 0.2% from European, now broadly European only. Arabian increased slightly to 3.2%.

D46DF6BA-139F-4AD4-9FEB-DB4D3D5AE3D2.jpeg

Oh yeah, I still don’t get a state breakdown for India with the beta enabled.

I’m waiting on my V5 results, I’m sure it’s going to be more accurate.
    Last edited by misanthropy; 01-17-2019 at 02:19 AM.

15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to misanthropy For This Useful Post:

jortita (01-17-2019),  Kart (01-16-2019),  kush (01-17-2019)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Multiracial
    Nationality
    British
    Y-DNA
    O-F1399
    mtDNA
    U5b1

Madagascar Mauritius Spain Indonesia India China
    Updated V4 (Discover23), why has the Middle Eastern gone back up?!?!?!
    https://you.23andme.com/published/re...441938d4fd4df1

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Adam A For This Useful Post:

misanthropy (01-16-2019)

Gold Member Class
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Punjabi Sikh Ramgarhia
    Nationality
    Canadian
    Y-DNA
    R1a-Y2568*
    mtDNA
    M3a2

India Punjab Canada Azad Baluchistan Sikh Empire Nishan Sahib
    Yup it says 100% SA for me now. Euro is completely gone. Finally they're realizing that we've steppe. Will help with the confusion it caused in a lot of desi people too.
    Deg Teg Fateh - Victory to Charity and Arms

Punjab, Punjabi, Fateh.

19. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to MonkeyDLuffy For This Useful Post:

26284729292 (01-17-2019),  aaronbee2010 (01-16-2019),  Adam A (01-16-2019),  Kart (01-16-2019),  kush (01-17-2019),  misanthropy (01-16-2019),  Sapporo (01-16-2019)

Page 27 of 31 FirstFirst ... 172526272829 ... LastLast