Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 26

Thread: I-FGC9462

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Posts
    4
    Sex

    I-FGC9462

    I originally tested at I1-M253 then with further testing FTDNA changed my haplogroup listing to L813. Recently I took another test they offered and the results came in today. Now they have changed my Ydna haplogroup again and they list it as I-FGC9462. I almost wish I hadn't taken this last test as I feel like I really don't know any more than I did before lol. Does anyone know exactly what this I-FGC9462 is ? Am I still L813 and I-FGC9462 is just a deeper test of L813 or (?) I have matches spread out all over Scandinavia as well as Ukraine, Normandy, and even Sicily of all places(I am definitely not Italian) but now have no idea what to even make of this latest test result. Thank you in advance.

  2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Delling For This Useful Post:

     Calamus (06-29-2018),  JMcB (06-29-2018),  JonikW (06-28-2018)

  3. #2
    Registered Users
    Posts
    955
    Sex
    Location
    Kent
    Ethnicity
    Isles Celto-Germanic
    Nationality
    British
    Y-DNA
    I1 Z140+ A21912+
    mtDNA
    V

    Wales England Cornwall Scotland Ireland
    Quote Originally Posted by Delling View Post
    I originally tested at I1-M253 then with further testing FTDNA changed my haplogroup listing to L813. Recently I took another test they offered and the results came in today. Now they have changed my Ydna haplogroup again and they list it as I-FGC9462. I almost wish I hadn't taken this last test as I feel like I really don't know any more than I did before lol. Does anyone know exactly what this I-FGC9462 is ? Am I still L813 and I-FGC9462 is just a deeper test of L813 or (?) I have matches spread out all over Scandinavia as well as Ukraine, Normandy, and even Sicily of all places(I am definitely not Italian) but now have no idea what to even make of this latest test result. Thank you in advance.
    Have you joined a project? An administrator should be able to answer your questions. They've been very helpful with me. Otherwise, I'm sure someone knowledgeable will see this thread in time.
    Living DNA Cautious mode:
    South Wales Border-related ancestry: 86.8%
    Cornwall: 8%
    Cumbria-related ancestry: 5.2%
    Y line: Peak District, England. Big Y match: Scania, Sweden; TMRCA 1,280 ybp (YFull);
    mtDNA: traces to Glamorgan, Wales, 18th century. Mother's Y line (Wales): R-L21 L371

  4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JonikW For This Useful Post:

     Calamus (06-29-2018),  JMcB (06-29-2018)

  5. #3
    Registered Users
    Posts
    766
    Sex
    Location
    Ontario
    Nationality
    Canadian
    Y-DNA
    I-A14097

    Canada Netherlands United Kingdom Ireland France
    Quote Originally Posted by Delling View Post
    I originally tested at I1-M253 then with further testing FTDNA changed my haplogroup listing to L813. Recently I took another test they offered and the results came in today. Now they have changed my Ydna haplogroup again and they list it as I-FGC9462. I almost wish I hadn't taken this last test as I feel like I really don't know any more than I did before lol. Does anyone know exactly what this I-FGC9462 is ? Am I still L813 and I-FGC9462 is just a deeper test of L813 or (?) I have matches spread out all over Scandinavia as well as Ukraine, Normandy, and even Sicily of all places(I am definitely not Italian) but now have no idea what to even make of this latest test result. Thank you in advance.
    Yes, you are still I-L813. Here is the tree for I-FGC9462 (aka I-Y13505). Note the path of SNPs at the top of the page. The path from I-L813 is L813 > Y5476 > Y5486 > Y5474 > Y5483 > Y13038 > Y13505/FGC9462.


    Given you are descended from I-L22 branch and 2 of the three people on YFull in your specific subbranch are Scandinavian, perhaps you have a patrilineal Scandinavian origin?
    Y-DNA: I-A14097(Scotland),
    Big Y: I-F2642>Y1966>Y3649>A13241>Y3647>A14097 (1,850 YBP)
    mtDNA: pending (Westeremden, Netherlands)
    Other lines:
    R-M222 x2, R-L21 x2, I-M223, R-S1141, R-U198 & R-U106, mtHg J1c3
    Known ancestry
    Paternal: Britain & Ireland, France and Germany
    Maternal: Netherlands

  6. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to spruithean For This Useful Post:

     Agamemnon (06-29-2018),  Calamus (06-29-2018),  Delling (06-28-2018),  JMcB (06-29-2018),  JonikW (06-28-2018)

  7. #4
    Junior Member
    Posts
    4
    Sex

    I appreciate the info. I have known Scandinavian ancestry on both mother's and father's side. ( Danish and Norwegian) I contacted the admins from several of the groups I belong to and received no replies so I went forward with the test anyway. I think in my case I made the mistake of assuming that the I-FGC9462 would narrow it down to a more specific area. Seems to me that from an ancestral point of view, this test tells me next to nothing. But, no harm no foul.

  8. The Following User Says Thank You to Delling For This Useful Post:

     Calamus (06-29-2018)

  9. #5
    Registered Users
    Posts
    955
    Sex
    Location
    Kent
    Ethnicity
    Isles Celto-Germanic
    Nationality
    British
    Y-DNA
    I1 Z140+ A21912+
    mtDNA
    V

    Wales England Cornwall Scotland Ireland
    Quote Originally Posted by Delling View Post
    I appreciate the info. I have known Scandinavian ancestry on both mother's and father's side. ( Danish and Norwegian) I contacted the admins from several of the groups I belong to and received no replies so I went forward with the test anyway. I think in my case I made the mistake of assuming that the I-FGC9462 would narrow it down to a more specific area. Seems to me that from an ancestral point of view, this test tells me next to nothing. But, no harm no foul.
    You might get more recent matches later too. My Swedish cousin tested at the same time as me. Without him my closest match was German and we have a TMRCA of 2,500 ybp. Here's hoping.
    Living DNA Cautious mode:
    South Wales Border-related ancestry: 86.8%
    Cornwall: 8%
    Cumbria-related ancestry: 5.2%
    Y line: Peak District, England. Big Y match: Scania, Sweden; TMRCA 1,280 ybp (YFull);
    mtDNA: traces to Glamorgan, Wales, 18th century. Mother's Y line (Wales): R-L21 L371

  10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JonikW For This Useful Post:

     Calamus (06-29-2018),  JMcB (06-29-2018)

  11. #6
    Junior Member
    Posts
    4
    Sex

    Quote Originally Posted by JonikW View Post
    You might get more recent matches later too. My Swedish cousin tested at the same time as me. Without him my closest match was German and we have a TMRCA of 2,500 ybp. Here's hoping.
    My autosomal test that I took via 23andMe years ago showed almost 80% 'Northern European' but also showed the rest of the 20% taken up by 'French' and 'British Isles'. Back right after I took that test with 23andMe I rashly decided I didn't want my DNA info left on a website so I closed my account. I regretted doing that so impulsively so several years later I took the 67 marker with FTDNA and got the more specific results. I have heard the autosomal is somehow more accurate but at this point I honestly don't buy that at all. The autosomal test seemed pretty generic whereas the 67 marker test really seemed to break it all down more specifically. I still would like to have transferred my 23andMe results so wish I would not have closed the account but the figures were easy enough to remember. The largest % of my matches in France are in Normandy though I do have some elsewhere in France, in the Netherlands, Dublin, all along Eastern areas of England, Hebrides, Orkney, Isle of Mann, Shetland and Iceland. It appears most of my Scandinavian matches are in Norway with Sweden and Denmark close seconds. I have been told that the L813 is a predominantly Norwegian 'clade'(?) Is the I-FGC9462 something that ha a predominating area it is found in? Sorry if these are silly questions but point blank, I still really don't fully understand these things.

  12. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Delling For This Useful Post:

     Agamemnon (06-29-2018),  Calamus (06-29-2018),  JMcB (06-29-2018),  JonikW (06-29-2018)

  13. #7
    Registered Users
    Posts
    955
    Sex
    Location
    Kent
    Ethnicity
    Isles Celto-Germanic
    Nationality
    British
    Y-DNA
    I1 Z140+ A21912+
    mtDNA
    V

    Wales England Cornwall Scotland Ireland
    Quote Originally Posted by Delling View Post
    My autosomal test that I took via 23andMe years ago showed almost 80% 'Northern European' but also showed the rest of the 20% taken up by 'French' and 'British Isles'. Back right after I took that test with 23andMe I rashly decided I didn't want my DNA info left on a website so I closed my account. I regretted doing that so impulsively so several years later I took the 67 marker with FTDNA and got the more specific results. I have heard the autosomal is somehow more accurate but at this point I honestly don't buy that at all. The autosomal test seemed pretty generic whereas the 67 marker test really seemed to break it all down more specifically. I still would like to have transferred my 23andMe results so wish I would not have closed the account but the figures were easy enough to remember. The largest % of my matches in France are in Normandy though I do have some elsewhere in France, in the Netherlands, Dublin, all along Eastern areas of England, Hebrides, Orkney, Isle of Mann, Shetland and Iceland. It appears most of my Scandinavian matches are in Norway with Sweden and Denmark close seconds. I have been told that the L813 is a predominantly Norwegian 'clade'(?) Is the I-FGC9462 something that ha a predominating area it is found in? Sorry if these are silly questions but point blank, I still really don't fully understand these things.
    What country did your earliest known forefather on your paternal Y line (your own surname line) live in, and at what date? Was it Norway? EDIT: you may already know this, but an autosomal test that gives a regional breakdown such as yours did at 23andme can show where your ancestors lived in the past few hundred years. It's the majority of who you are. A Y test can tell you something about where your father's line originated and where they lived more recently. It's a small amount of your overall DNA but it's important for many people, me included. spruithean's link shows that you share a common grandfather who lived about 1,500 years ago with two men whose families come from modern Sweden and Norway. That may also suggest something about where your common grandfathers lived in the past. A more recent TMRCA match might tell you more one day.
    Last edited by JonikW; 06-29-2018 at 08:39 AM.
    Living DNA Cautious mode:
    South Wales Border-related ancestry: 86.8%
    Cornwall: 8%
    Cumbria-related ancestry: 5.2%
    Y line: Peak District, England. Big Y match: Scania, Sweden; TMRCA 1,280 ybp (YFull);
    mtDNA: traces to Glamorgan, Wales, 18th century. Mother's Y line (Wales): R-L21 L371

  14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to JonikW For This Useful Post:

     Agamemnon (06-29-2018),  Calamus (06-29-2018),  JMcB (06-29-2018)

  15. #8
    Gold Member Class
    Posts
    106
    Sex
    Location
    Eastern Norway
    Nationality
    Norwegian
    Y-DNA
    I1-FGC9462
    mtDNA
    H1b1-T16362C

    Norway Sweden Finland Denmark Norway Kven Sami
    Quote Originally Posted by Delling View Post
    My autosomal test that I took via 23andMe years ago showed almost 80% 'Northern European' but also showed the rest of the 20% taken up by 'French' and 'British Isles'. Back right after I took that test with 23andMe I rashly decided I didn't want my DNA info left on a website so I closed my account. I regretted doing that so impulsively so several years later I took the 67 marker with FTDNA and got the more specific results. I have heard the autosomal is somehow more accurate but at this point I honestly don't buy that at all. The autosomal test seemed pretty generic whereas the 67 marker test really seemed to break it all down more specifically. I still would like to have transferred my 23andMe results so wish I would not have closed the account but the figures were easy enough to remember. The largest % of my matches in France are in Normandy though I do have some elsewhere in France, in the Netherlands, Dublin, all along Eastern areas of England, Hebrides, Orkney, Isle of Mann, Shetland and Iceland. It appears most of my Scandinavian matches are in Norway with Sweden and Denmark close seconds. I have been told that the L813 is a predominantly Norwegian 'clade'(?) Is the I-FGC9462 something that ha a predominating area it is found in? Sorry if these are silly questions but point blank, I still really don't fully understand these things.
    I also belong to Y-DNA haplogroup I-FGC9462, so we have a common male line ancestor that lived approximately 1500 years ago. I see that Spruithean and JonikW have already answered some of your questions. Too add a couple of things, L813 is not a predominanly a Norwegian clade, Scandinavian would be a better fit. With I-FGC9462 you can narrow the the geographic area down somewhat, it is mainly found in southern Sweden and Southeastern Norway. Did you take the Big-Y test or did you just order a SNP test? I had the Big-Y and they also found about 15 SNP that are "private", perhaps you also share some of these mutations. Are you a member of the L813 project at FTDNA? Would you be willing to share your 67marker results?

  16. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Calamus For This Useful Post:

     Agamemnon (06-29-2018),  JMcB (06-29-2018),  JonikW (06-29-2018),  Kamo (06-30-2018)

  17. #9
    Registered Users
    Posts
    766
    Sex
    Location
    Ontario
    Nationality
    Canadian
    Y-DNA
    I-A14097

    Canada Netherlands United Kingdom Ireland France
    Quote Originally Posted by Delling View Post
    I have been told that the L813 is a predominantly Norwegian 'clade'(?) Is the I-FGC9462 something that ha a predominating area it is found in? Sorry if these are silly questions but point blank, I still really don't fully understand these things.
    In the YFull link I provided you will see that two of the three people who have submitted their BAMs to YFull have roots in Norway and Sweden, that is fairly telling and if the third person also has roots in Scandinavia then I would say that is perhaps fairly telling. L813 itself has a rather northerly distribution and is found in areas known to have seen Scandinavian activity (Vikings).
    Last edited by spruithean; 06-29-2018 at 05:28 PM. Reason: autocorrect
    Y-DNA: I-A14097(Scotland),
    Big Y: I-F2642>Y1966>Y3649>A13241>Y3647>A14097 (1,850 YBP)
    mtDNA: pending (Westeremden, Netherlands)
    Other lines:
    R-M222 x2, R-L21 x2, I-M223, R-S1141, R-U198 & R-U106, mtHg J1c3
    Known ancestry
    Paternal: Britain & Ireland, France and Germany
    Maternal: Netherlands

  18. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to spruithean For This Useful Post:

     Agamemnon (06-29-2018),  Calamus (07-01-2018),  JMcB (06-29-2018),  JonikW (06-29-2018)

  19. #10
    Registered Users
    Posts
    38
    Sex
    Location
    US
    Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA
    I1- L813 I-FGC9462
    mtDNA
    H2a2b1

    Quote Originally Posted by Delling View Post
    My autosomal test that I took via 23andMe years ago showed almost 80% 'Northern European' but also showed the rest of the 20% taken up by 'French' and 'British Isles'. Back right after I took that test with 23andMe I rashly decided I didn't want my DNA info left on a website so I closed my account. I regretted doing that so impulsively so several years later I took the 67 marker with FTDNA and got the more specific results. I have heard the autosomal is somehow more accurate but at this point I honestly don't buy that at all. The autosomal test seemed pretty generic whereas the 67 marker test really seemed to break it all down more specifically. I still would like to have transferred my 23andMe results so wish I would not have closed the account but the figures were easy enough to remember. The largest % of my matches in France are in Normandy though I do have some elsewhere in France, in the Netherlands, Dublin, all along Eastern areas of England, Hebrides, Orkney, Isle of Mann, Shetland and Iceland. It appears most of my Scandinavian matches are in Norway with Sweden and Denmark close seconds. I have been told that the L813 is a predominantly Norwegian 'clade'(?) Is the I-FGC9462 something that ha a predominating area it is found in? Sorry if these are silly questions but point blank, I still really don't fully understand these things.
    I also am L813 and belong to the L813 project at FTDNA. I would recommend joining that project if you haven't already. I have to believe you and I are matches. The places you have mentioned I also have a predominance of matches in. The conundrum in my case is that I am supposedly Irish and have a stereotypical Irish surname(Molloy) One of the matches I have is in the Hebrides(Bara Island) and their name is McNeil. There was an article in one of the British papers wherein they were interviewed and they already know that they descend from Norwegian 'pirates' as they called them i.e. Vikings. I made an attempt to contact them but received no reply. It does make it difficult when you are in the odd case of having either no matches with same surname or in my case only having 1 match with same surname. I corresponded with that guy also but he eventually stopped replying. He didn't seem to have much interest in any depth of research into his ancestry. I had Ken Nordvedt and another gentleman named Tyrone Bowes from Ireland look at my results. Nordvedt's opinion was that somewhere along the line long ago a Scandinavian male may have had offspring with an Irish or Scottish female and the child for whatever reason was given the girl's family name instead of that man's name. Bowes suggested a similar scenario but simply said there was definitely some 'non paternal event' somewhere along the line. My match percentages are low with my matches at earlier points but go up exponentially at further ranges back. Asid from Vikings there was also the Norman incursion. The earliest ancestor I can trace back is Michael Molloy. Born 1795 and died in late 1800s. Came from Dublin area of Ireland during the period of unrest in mid 1800s and settled in Kentucky, died in Cincinnati Ohio. I didn't see if you mentioned anything about your ancestor research but it might help to do some non dna related family research to find out who your earliest male ancestor is.
    Last edited by Kamo; 06-29-2018 at 11:44 PM.

  20. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Kamo For This Useful Post:

     Agamemnon (06-29-2018),  Calamus (07-01-2018),  JMcB (06-30-2018),  JonikW (06-29-2018)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •