mtDNA (M)
    V
    Y-DNA (M)
    R1b L21+ L371+
    mtDNA (P)
    J1c2l

Wales England Cornwall Scotland Ireland Normandie
    Quote Originally Posted by Kamo View Post
    I also am L813 and belong to the L813 project at FTDNA. I would recommend joining that project if you haven't already. I have to believe you and I are matches. The places you have mentioned I also have a predominance of matches in. The conundrum in my case is that I am supposedly Irish and have a stereotypical Irish surname(Molloy) One of the matches I have is in the Hebrides(Bara Island) and their name is McNeil. There was an article in one of the British papers wherein they were interviewed and they already know that they descend from Norwegian 'pirates' as they called them i.e. Vikings. I made an attempt to contact them but received no reply. It does make it difficult when you are in the odd case of having either no matches with same surname or in my case only having 1 match with same surname. I corresponded with that guy also but he eventually stopped replying. He didn't seem to have much interest in any depth of research into his ancestry. I had Ken Nordvedt and another gentleman named Tyrone Bowes from Ireland look at my results. Nordvedt's opinion was that somewhere along the line long ago a Scandinavian male may have had offspring with an Irish or Scottish female and the child for whatever reason was given the girl's family name instead of that man's name. Bowes suggested a similar scenario but simply said there was definitely some 'non paternal event' somewhere along the line. My match percentages are low with my matches at earlier points but go up exponentially at further ranges back. Asid from Vikings there was also the Norman incursion. The earliest ancestor I can trace back is Michael Molloy. Born 1795 and died in late 1800s. Came from Dublin area of Ireland during the period of unrest in mid 1800s and settled in Kentucky, died in Cincinnati Ohio. I didn't see if you mentioned anything about your ancestor research but it might help to do some non dna related family research to find out who your earliest male ancestor is.
    What a fascinating story. Looks likely that your forefather was a Viking at some stage. I assume mine was too. Still trying to get my head around that. Looks like Ken is out of action and much missed as the foremost I1 expert. I wrote to him too at one stage and received an interesting, informative and courteous reply.
    Last edited by JonikW; 06-29-2018 at 11:55 PM.
    Living DNA Cautious mode:
    Wales-related ancestry: 86.8%
    Cornwall: 8%
    North England-related ancestry: 5.2%
    Y line: Peak District, England. Big Y match: Scania, Sweden; TMRCA 1,280 ybp (YFull);
    mtDNA: traces to Glamorgan, Wales
    Mother's Y: traces to Llanvair Discoed, Wales

2. The Following User Says Thank You to JonikW For This Useful Post:

JMcB (06-30-2018)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Nationality
    Canadian
    Y-DNA (P)
    I-A14097
    mtDNA (M)
    (t.b.d.)
    Y-DNA (M)
    (t.b.d.)
    mtDNA (P)
    J1c3

Canada Netherlands United Kingdom Cornwall Ireland France
    I also am L813 and belong to the L813 project at FTDNA. I would recommend joining that project if you haven't already. I have to believe you and I are matches. The places you have mentioned I also have a predominance of matches in. The conundrum in my case is that I am supposedly Irish and have a stereotypical Irish surname(Molloy) One of the matches I have is in the Hebrides(Bara Island) and their name is McNeil. There was an article in one of the British papers wherein they were interviewed and they already know that they descend from Norwegian 'pirates' as they called them i.e. Vikings. I made an attempt to contact them but received no reply. It does make it difficult when you are in the odd case of having either no matches with same surname or in my case only having 1 match with same surname. I corresponded with that guy also but he eventually stopped replying. He didn't seem to have much interest in any depth of research into his ancestry. I had Ken Nordvedt and another gentleman named Tyrone Bowes from Ireland look at my results. Nordvedt's opinion was that somewhere along the line long ago a Scandinavian male may have had offspring with an Irish or Scottish female and the child for whatever reason was given the girl's family name instead of that man's name. Bowes suggested a similar scenario but simply said there was definitely some 'non paternal event' somewhere along the line. My match percentages are low with my matches at earlier points but go up exponentially at further ranges back. Asid from Vikings there was also the Norman incursion. The earliest ancestor I can trace back is Michael Molloy. Born 1795 and died in late 1800s. Came from Dublin area of Ireland during the period of unrest in mid 1800s and settled in Kentucky, died in Cincinnati Ohio. I didn't see if you mentioned anything about your ancestor research but it might help to do some non dna related family research to find out who your earliest male ancestor is.
    Just so you know in the Clan MacNeil Project the vast majority of the Barra MacNeils are R1a-A10884, R1b-Y5108 (Chiefly line included here), I2a-Y4142 and the MacDonalds from Mingulay are I2a-Y7190. The MacNeills with origins in Argyll, specifically Taynish, Gigha, Colonsay and those surrounding areas are I1a-Y13039 (clade under L813). With the remainder of those with roots in Argyll and elsewhere being various other branches of R1b, I1 and the like. So far no Barra MacNeil descendant belongs to I1.

Unfortunately there are plenty of pedigrees drawn up linking the Argyll MacNeills to the Barra MacNeils, so far it is believed they were separate clans, however nowadays the Chief of Barra is chief of the name and its variations.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to spruithean For This Useful Post:

JMcB (06-30-2018),  JonikW (06-30-2018)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA (P)
    I1- L813 I-FGC9462
    mtDNA (M)
    H2a2b1

Quote Originally Posted by spruithean View Post
    Just so you know in the Clan MacNeil Project the vast majority of the Barra MacNeils are R1a-A10884, R1b-Y5108 (Chiefly line included here), I2a-Y4142 and the MacDonalds from Mingulay are I2a-Y7190. The MacNeills with origins in Argyll, specifically Taynish, Gigha, Colonsay and those surrounding areas are I1a-Y13039 (clade under L813). With the remainder of those with roots in Argyll and elsewhere being various other branches of R1b, I1 and the like. So far no Barra MacNeil descendant belongs to I1.

Unfortunately there are plenty of pedigrees drawn up linking the Argyll MacNeills to the Barra MacNeils, so far it is believed they were separate clans, however nowadays the Chief of Barra is chief of the name and its variations.
    My MacNeil match on Barra is I1 so not sure what you mean when you say 'no Barra MacNeil descendant is I1' What am I missing ? Within my matches, the majority are in Scandinavia but I do notice MacNeils of various spellings both in the Hebrides, Ireland and the States as well so that in itself might possibly narrow down the specific clan(?). I do as I say have a MacNeil match on Barra so when I saw the article I thought oh, there they are. He is on Barra but if the rest of them are some other haplogroup then he must not be in that same family. My overall matches in the British Isles sound like they are in the same places as the OP, along eastern seaboard and central England going right up the eastern side of the country, and in Normandy, Ukraine, Russia, Sicily, Gotland island, Isle of Mann, Shetland etc etc. My matches in Ireland are in Waterford, Wexford, Dublin, Sligo, Londonderry and a couple others. Is there any way to share my FTDNA info for others to compare with here? If so how does one do that? I would be happy to do so and it might give me some new info as well. I belong to several ydna projects on FTDNA but don't post very often because for some reason when it says I have replies, I go to check them out and there aren't any. The few times there were it would not allow me to post a follow up reply. I have contacted the admins on several projects about this problem but virtually none of them ever reply so I sort of gave up even posting but still belong to the projects.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kamo For This Useful Post:

Calamus (07-01-2018),  JonikW (06-30-2018)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA (P)
    I1- L813 I-FGC9462
    mtDNA (M)
    H2a2b1

Nordvedt is out of action? How do you mean retired or?

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Kamo For This Useful Post:

JonikW (06-30-2018)

Gold Class Member
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Isles Celto-Germanic
    Nationality
    British
    Y-DNA (P)
    I1 Z140+ A21912+
    mtDNA (M)
    V
    Y-DNA (M)
    R1b L21+ L371+
    mtDNA (P)
    J1c2l

Wales England Cornwall Scotland Ireland Normandie
    Nordvedt is out of action? How do you mean retired or?
    I should have worded that better. I just meant I haven't seen anything from him for probably a couple of years. I hope he's well!
    Living DNA Cautious mode:
    Wales-related ancestry: 86.8%
    Cornwall: 8%
    North England-related ancestry: 5.2%
    Y line: Peak District, England. Big Y match: Scania, Sweden; TMRCA 1,280 ybp (YFull);
    mtDNA: traces to Glamorgan, Wales
    Mother's Y: traces to Llanvair Discoed, Wales

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JonikW For This Useful Post:

JMcB (06-30-2018),  Kamo (06-30-2018)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Nationality
    Canadian
    Y-DNA (P)
    I-A14097
    mtDNA (M)
    (t.b.d.)
    Y-DNA (M)
    (t.b.d.)
    mtDNA (P)
    J1c3

Canada Netherlands United Kingdom Cornwall Ireland France
    My MacNeil match on Barra is I1 so not sure what you mean when you say 'no Barra MacNeil descendant is I1' What am I missing ? Within my matches, the majority are in Scandinavia but I do notice MacNeils of various spellings both in the Hebrides, Ireland and the States as well so that in itself might possibly narrow down the specific clan(?). I do as I say have a MacNeil match on Barra so when I saw the article I thought oh, there they are. He is on Barra but if the rest of them are some other haplogroup then he must not be in that same family. My overall matches in the British Isles sound like they are in the same places as the OP, along eastern seaboard and central England going right up the eastern side of the country, and in Normandy, Ukraine, Russia, Sicily, Gotland island, Isle of Mann, Shetland etc etc. My matches in Ireland are in Waterford, Wexford, Dublin, Sligo, Londonderry and a couple others. Is there any way to share my FTDNA info for others to compare with here? If so how does one do that? I would be happy to do so and it might give me some new info as well. I belong to several ydna projects on FTDNA but don't post very often because for some reason when it says I have replies, I go to check them out and there aren't any. The few times there were it would not allow me to post a follow up reply. I have contacted the admins on several projects about this problem but virtually none of them ever reply so I sort of gave up even posting but still belong to the projects.
    That MacNeil in the Clan MacNeil DNA project fits within the haplotype of the Taynish group, and it's established that members of that group likely descend from Torquil MacNeill of Castle Sween in Argyll. If you notice those in the Kintyre/Taynish group descend from a lot of MacNeill settlers of Cape Fear in North Carolina, descending from early colonists of that area who originally came from Gigha, Islay, Jura, etc. Many of them being descended directly from the chiefly line of the Argyll clan which is erroneously linked to the same lineage as the Barra clan.

What I mean by no Barra descendant is I1 I mean none with a confirmed paper trail to Barra are I1. Barra members of the project with confirmed paper trails are R1a-A10884, R1b-Y5108, I2a.

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to spruithean For This Useful Post:

JMcB (06-30-2018),  JonikW (06-30-2018),  Kamo (06-30-2018)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA (P)
    I1- L813 I-FGC9462
    mtDNA (M)
    H2a2b1

Quote Originally Posted by spruithean View Post
    That MacNeil in the Clan MacNeil DNA project fits within the haplotype of the Taynish group, and it's established that members of that group likely descend from Torquil MacNeill of Castle Sween in Argyll. If you notice those in the Kintyre/Taynish group descend from a lot of MacNeill settlers of Cape Fear in North Carolina, descending from early colonists of that area who originally came from Gigha, Islay, Jura, etc. Many of them being descended directly from the chiefly line of the Argyll clan which is erroneously linked to the same lineage as the Barra clan.

What I mean by no Barra descendant is I1 I mean none with a confirmed paper trail to Barra are I1. Barra members of the project with confirmed paper trails are R1a-A10884, R1b-Y5108, I2a.
    Ok. I understand what you re saying

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Kamo For This Useful Post:

JonikW (06-30-2018)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA (P)
    I1- L813 I-FGC9462
    mtDNA (M)
    H2a2b1

Quote Originally Posted by JonikW View Post
    I should have worded that better. I just meant I haven't seen anything from him for probably a couple of years. I hope he's well!
    Yes, I had contacted him one other time after our first email conact and he hadn't replied to me either.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Kamo For This Useful Post:

JonikW (06-30-2018)

Gold Class Member
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    English, Scottish & Irish
    Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA (P)
    I-A13252
    mtDNA (M)
    H1e2
    mtDNA (P)
    K1

England Scotland Ireland Prussia Italy Two Sicilies United States of America
    Quote Originally Posted by JonikW View Post

For all intents and purposes, Ken Nordtvedt retired from the genetic scene a few years ago. At this point, hes close to 80 years old and presumably decided to move on to other things. He was also very helpful to me, when I first got my 67 marker test back in 2015, and as things stand now, everything he told me has been confirmed by later SNP testing.

For those interested, you can still find some of his papers here:

https://onedrive.live.com/?id=8B35AD...35ADFFC37790D0

18. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to JMcB For This Useful Post:

Calamus (07-01-2018),  JonikW (06-30-2018),  Kamo (06-30-2018),  palamede (07-12-2018)

Gold Class Member
    Sex
    Nationality
    Norwegian
    Y-DNA (P)
    I1-FGC9462
    mtDNA (M)
    H1b1-T16362C

Norway Sweden Finland Denmark Norway Kven Sami
    Based on Y-STR results there appears to be some sub-clustering within the I-FGC9462 group (unfortunately, too few samples to say anything definite. DNA is definitely a waiting game). If it is of interest, I can take a look at your Y-STR results from the L813 project at FTDNA to see where you migth fit in and post it here.

20. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Calamus For This Useful Post:

JMcB (07-01-2018),  JonikW (07-01-2018),  Kamo (07-01-2018)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast