Registered Users
    Sex
    Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA
    I1- L813 I-FGC9462
    mtDNA
    H2a2b1

"If it is of interest, I can take a look at your Y-STR results from the L813 project at FTDNA to see where you migth fit in and post it here."

Sure Calamus. I think that would be a great idea.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kamo For This Useful Post:

Calamus (07-02-2018),  JonikW (07-01-2018)

Sex

Quote Originally Posted by Kamo View Post
    I also am L813 and belong to the L813 project at FTDNA. I would recommend joining that project if you haven't already. I have to believe you and I are matches. The places you have mentioned I also have a predominance of matches in. The conundrum in my case is that I am supposedly Irish and have a stereotypical Irish surname(Molloy) One of the matches I have is in the Hebrides(Bara Island) and their name is McNeil. There was an article in one of the British papers wherein they were interviewed and they already know that they descend from Norwegian 'pirates' as they called them i.e. Vikings. I made an attempt to contact them but received no reply. It does make it difficult when you are in the odd case of having either no matches with same surname or in my case only having 1 match with same surname. I corresponded with that guy also but he eventually stopped replying. He didn't seem to have much interest in any depth of research into his ancestry. I had Ken Nordvedt and another gentleman named Tyrone Bowes from Ireland look at my results. Nordvedt's opinion was that somewhere along the line long ago a Scandinavian male may have had offspring with an Irish or Scottish female and the child for whatever reason was given the girl's family name instead of that man's name. Bowes suggested a similar scenario but simply said there was definitely some 'non paternal event' somewhere along the line. My match percentages are low with my matches at earlier points but go up exponentially at further ranges back. Asid from Vikings there was also the Norman incursion. The earliest ancestor I can trace back is Michael Molloy. Born 1795 and died in late 1800s. Came from Dublin area of Ireland during the period of unrest in mid 1800s and settled in Kentucky, died in Cincinnati Ohio. I didn't see if you mentioned anything about your ancestor research but it might help to do some non dna related family research to find out who your earliest male ancestor is.
    Thanks. I will look into that group. With my work I just don't get a lot of free time to join or post in these groups and forums.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Delling For This Useful Post:

Calamus (07-02-2018)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA
    I1- L813 I-FGC9462
    mtDNA
    H2a2b1

Calamus, I misspoke in earlier post. I said 'Michael Molloy' when I meant to write John Molloy. John is indeed listed on the L813 results page. John Molloy 1795-1880. I would have posted the results here myself would I know how to do it. I'm still using the old copy and paste method for everything and that obviously won't work in this case.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Kamo For This Useful Post:

Calamus (07-02-2018)

Gold Member Class
    Sex
    Nationality
    Norwegian
    Y-DNA
    I1-FGC9462
    mtDNA
    H1b1-T16362C

Norway Sweden Finland Denmark Norway Kven Sami
    Quote Originally Posted by Kamo View Post
    Calamus, I misspoke in earlier post. I said 'Michael Molloy' when I meant to write John Molloy. John is indeed listed on the L813 results page. John Molloy 1795-1880. I would have posted the results here myself would I know how to do it. I'm still using the old copy and paste method for everything and that obviously won't work in this case.
    Kamo, I have had a look at your results and it looks like you belong to my "Viken group". I am not 100% certain, because it looks like you may have a back-mutation on DYS437. You have 16 and it should be 15 for this group. Your other key-markers are a perfect fit for the "Viken group". The "Viken group" is clustered around the Oslofjord. So, it looks like your Y-line ancestor came from the Oslofjord area.

I have also identified two other groups within FGC9462, a "Hedemark group", which is clustered in the Hedemark area of Norway. And a "Swedish group", which is clustered on the other side of the border in Sweden.

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Calamus For This Useful Post:

JMcB (07-02-2018),  JonikW (07-02-2018),  Kamo (07-02-2018)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA
    I1- L813 I-FGC9462
    mtDNA
    H2a2b1

Quote Originally Posted by Calamus View Post
    Kamo, I have had a look at your results and it looks like you belong to my "Viken group". I am not 100% certain, because it looks like you may have a back-mutation on DYS437. You have 16 and it should be 15 for this group. Your other key-markers are a perfect fit for the "Viken group". The "Viken group" is clustered around the Oslofjord. So, it looks like your Y-line ancestor came from the Oslofjord area.

I have also identified two other groups within FGC9462, a "Hedemark group", which is clustered in the Hedemark area of Norway. And a "Swedish group", which is clustered on the other side of the border in Sweden.
    I certainly have a larg number of matches from that area including as you say across in Sweden as well.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Kamo For This Useful Post:

JMcB (07-02-2018)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA
    I1- L813 I-FGC9462
    mtDNA
    H2a2b1

Not sure if this will post as I have never attempted to attach a photo on this website before. A small snapshot of matches around the area you described.It may be a little blurry.2.jpg

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123